• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

DVD Artwork

g.rev

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would like to have a go at creating some disc art of my own but have no idea where to start. Can anyone guide me how to do this and what software etc I might need. Thanks.

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well.... don't know what all you mean... but if you don't even have a graphics program at all... i'd suggest the GIMP.... very powerful and very free ;)

http://www.gimp.org

UseYourIllusionII

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I personally would suggest investing some money and buying Photoshop 7 or higher. PS7 Is the one I use and it's fantastic. The newer ones just get more features. For DVD covers you just have to have the dimensions correct, and you make whatever your creative soul can come up with. For the actual disc labels, just make a large square where all the important information would not be directly in the center or around the edges. I can upload a few PSD templates for DVDs and DVD labels if you would like.

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yes, admittedly photoshop is the best out there.... but the GIMP is pretty darn close behind.... would definitely have all the features (and more) that someone looking to do dvd covers would do. plus it's free.... no illegal downloading ;) and it can work with photoshop files, and save as photoshop files.

UseYourIllusionII

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well then, g.rev, even if you get GIMP I can upload those templates for you. :)

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
useyourillusion..... that's just because YOU ROCK GOOD, REAL GOOD!!!!
haha

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just wanted to post somewhere that GIMP RULES!! I just downloaded Gimp and used it for the first time. I can't believe how robust and user friendly it is for being under a GNU license. That development team deserves major props.

I guess I won't be upgrading my Photoshop afterall.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A client at work wanted to have Paint.Net installed on his computer. According to the site itself (again: according to them), it gets raving reviews and is compared to GIMP and Photoshop.
It started development as an undergraduate college senior design project mentored by Microsoft, and is currently being maintained by some of the alumni that originally worked on it. Originally intended as a free replacement for the Microsoft Paint software that comes with Windows, it has grown into a powerful yet simple image and photo editor tool. It has been compared to other digital photo editing software packages such as Adobe® Photoshop®, Corel® Paint Shop Pro®, Microsoft Photo Editor, and The GIMP.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll stick with The Gimp solely on the basis of it having the most awesome name ever. :))

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The feature set of Gimp is pretty amazing, actually. And while some GNU software is just lagging behind the commercial alternative, Gimp is sometimes first. Photoshop's much-hyped new function of CS4 (or CS5?) called Content-aware fill had already been available as a free Gimp plugin called Resynthesizer for years. Perfect for erasing a character from a poster that's already been removed from the plot, btw. ;)

The plugin and scripts library is amazing too. I like the get curves plugin by Elsamuko.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess I need to find some of these plugins...

So, Resynthesizer, Get Curves. Anything else?

How is Resynthesizer different from clone?

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Addendum: The amazing thing about Get Curves isn't just getting the curves from your photo editing, but that it can be used to opensource and share pretty much any colour processing filter that people charge hundreds of dollars for. At the site I linked to, there's a sample of curves made from the Alien Skin Photoshop plugin. The results should be more or less identical to the "real" thing.

Resynthesizer will do an extremely complex calculation of what should/might be there, and create textures based on the surrounding area. I think. If you're interested, the original work was based on a extremely elaborate phd dissertation that's available online. The whole thing is way over my head, but it works.

Top Bottom