• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

DVD-5 or DVD-9 for AVCHD?

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am new to the HD authoring world. I have a 90 minute 1080p edit that I'd like to author as an AVCHD disc. Should I be aiming at filling up a DVD-9 disc to the max, or is it like regular DVDs where a DVD-5 would be fine for 90 minutes. I'm looking to maximize quality.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

DVD9, definitely. You could conceivably stop at 5 for a 90 minute edit in 720p, but not a 1080p one, imo.

Cool, thanks for the quick responses. I was thinking that was the way to go, but just wanted to make sure!

A kind of follow up question - do I need to worry about the location of the layer change like with regular DVDs?

I'll agree with the others: DVD-9 for AVCHD, especially if you want a decent bitrate.

Maybe this belongs as a separate thread, but could someone just explain what the options are in releasing 1080p and what most people on this forum actually do?

In looking at my tools, I have the capability of creating mp4, mkv, DVD (downrez'd), AVCHD (for DVD-9), and BD-25.

I'd prefer not to release in BD format (due to file size), but I want to make my releases conform as much as possible to what the current 'standard' is for FE. Can someone give me guidance?

seciors said:
Maybe this belongs as a separate thread, but could someone just explain what the options are in releasing 1080p and what most people on this forum actually do?

In looking at my tools, I have the capability of creating mp4, mkv, DVD (downrez'd), AVCHD (for DVD-9), and BD-25.

I'd prefer not to release in BD format (due to file size), but I want to make my releases conform as much as possible to what the current 'standard' is for FE. Can someone give me guidance?

There really isn't a standard, but the way I release is:

SD (DVD-5). 720p HD (AVCHD on a DVD-9). 1080p (BD-25).

The reason I do it this way is because if someone thinks SD is fine then they probably don't want to spend a long time downloading. At 4.5GB it's not too large. If someone wants HD but doesn't want to download a 25GB file then 720p is a good medium weighing in at only 9GB or so. If someone wants the full shebang and pristine 1080p then they're willing to go for the 25Gb file.

In the limited tracking I can do of my edits the AVCHD seem to be the most popular.

Back
Top Bottom