• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Dune, which one do you like the best?

Which one do you think is the best?

• Dune Fanfiltration Edition

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Dune 3rd Stage Edition

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Dune ADM Extended Workprint Edition

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Dune Spicediver Edition

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

stomachworm

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, I've been wanting to watch one of the Dune fanedits but who's is the one to watch? At 3 hours apiece I'm wondering if any of y'all have seen all 4 and if so who's did you like the best? :???:

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After seeing ALL of them i would recommend in order of greatness

1 Dune 3rd Stage Edition
2 Dune ADM Extended Workprint Edition
3 Dune Fanfiltration Edition
4 Dune Spicediver Edition

3rd Stage is the one you definitely want to see, Spicedivers edit is way too much like the extended edition and has some nasty edit issues (not seen V2 so cant comment on that one).

Fanfiltrations edit is excellent but is severely let down by the picture quality.

ADM's edit is amazing but lacks SFX (mainly the blue eyes)

3rd Stage edit is pretty much flawless, blue eyes are fixed and is my preferred version to watch.

HTH

stomachworm

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't expect a response that fast (if at all). Thanks nOmArch.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
my favorite WAS fanfiltration's, but with the Third Stage edit (haven't seen it yet, but grabbed it) i'm expecting that situation to change.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ADM's restored my faith in this film...I was blown away. Although there's no correction of blue eyes and stuff.

As I understand it, the 3rd Stage Edition uses ADM's as a base and corrects these things, but removes a couple other scenes - but puts them on the disk as extras.

These two use the Princess Irulan introduction as well, which I prefer.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't seen the 3rd stage version, but since everyone says it's basically an improved version of the ADM edit, you can't go wrong with it.

Watching ADM's edit, it was still not a good film, but it was pretty cool to see that the film was actually supposed to make sense had Lynch been able to finish it to his liking.

Amok

Reaction score
Trophy Points
3rd stage and ADM's are both great. ADM's is a little longer, 3rd stage feels a little more complete with the blue eyes fixed. You won't go wrong with either one.

lairilwa

Reaction score
Trophy Points
do any of these versions clean up the guild navigator scene effects at all? some look really bad.

DoctorWhat

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love the 3rd Stage version, the stuff that was put back in is the best stuff from the deleted scenes. the stuff that was left out was great to see as extras features, and it was great to see them enhanced in some manner and also has great explanations for why they were left out.

the 3rd stage version I think is definitely the definitive version of David Lynch's Sci-Fi Masterpiece.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I misread this topic as "Dude, which one do you like the best?"

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would also recommend the Third Stage Edition. I believe it is about as close to a complete version of the film as is likely to be seen and is one of the finest fanedits in existence.

WrathofLucas

Reaction score
Trophy Points
How does "Dune: The Alternative Edition Redux " compare to the other fanedits?

I've only seen 3rd Stage and thought it was great. I've heard good things about Redux but read that the thought monologues have been removed. That was one of my favourite things about the Lynch version!

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WrathofLucas said:
How does "Dune: The Alternative Edition Redux " compare to the other fanedits?

I've only seen 3rd Stage and thought it was great. I've heard good things about Redux but read that the thought monologues have been removed. That was one of my favourite things about the Lynch version!

Which is why 3rd Stage wil always be my favourite, if you remove the inner thoughts you ruin the movie.

Other than that though the Redux is very good, I just don't like some of the artistic choices made in the edit but it is very competantly made and has excellent picture and sound quality.

Corz

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been wanting to see this 3rd stage edit for a while.

Ziester

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just popped in my copy of Alternative Redux and there's definitely still some narration. Even if you like the narration you have to admit that some of it is repetitive and unnecessary. Third Stage is impressive, but it keeps all of Lynch's more bizarre and unnecessary scenes like Paul magically making it rain the end.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ziester said:
I just popped in my copy of Alternative Redux and there's definitely still some narration.

Yes he just removed some of it, still too much for my liking.

Even if you like the narration you have to admit that some of it is repetitive and unnecessary.

No.

Third Stage is impressive, but it keeps all of Lynch's more bizarre and unnecessary scenes like Paul magically making it rain the end.

Not a big fan of the rain scene too but they weren't trying to make a 'book' cut they were making the best version of Lynch's vision so it stay's in, unfortunately.

Top Bottom