• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Dune, which one do you like the best?

Which one do you think is the best?

• Dune Fanfiltration Edition

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Dune 3rd Stage Edition

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Dune ADM Extended Workprint Edition

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Dune Spicediver Edition

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

Ziester

Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:

I'm going to elaborate. I actually have the script on my computer here and I'm using the search feature for inner voice.

I respect that having access to people's thoughts is a great way communicate philosophies that are difficult to show visually. Any adaptation of Herbert's work is requires attention to the countless subtle nuances in his work. But it's just the mundane usage of the technique that bothers me. When a character notices something like "a knife" or that Paul "knows our ways" you can have the character explain audibly but a good actor will already have communicated their character's recognition through his eyes, stance, and face. So who are those voice overs for? Are they for the non-book-reader who is unused to to having such details explained to them audibly or are they for the book readers who already know this information?

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ziester said:
When a character notices something like "a knife" or that Paul "knows our ways" you can have the character explain audibly but a good actor will already have communicated their character's recognition through his eyes, stance, and face.

I'd like to see an actor convey 'knows our ways' with their eyes/stance/face.

Sorry I disagree I think all the inner thoughts serve a purpose however unnecessary you think they are.

Ziester

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's actually dialogue there though:

KYNES With your permission...

Kynes turns to Paul, running his hands over the slick fabric. He stands back with a puzzled expression.

KYNES You've worn a stillsuit before?

PAUL No.

KYNES Your suit is fitted desert fashion. Who told you how to do that?

PAUL No one. It... seemed the proper way.

KYNES That it is.

Kyne's Fremen guard are watching Paul very closely now.

GURNEY We're wasting time, Sire.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was simply using your example as an example of how difficult it is to convey complex thoughts with face expressions.

I think I've made myself perfectly clear how I feel about the inner dialogue and don't need to debate it anymore.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ProductImage-7213638.jpg

^ I like this one best ;-)

But seriously. I grew up watching and loving this film. It was 2nd only to Star Wars in my heart. I'm still waiting for the rest of the world (and Lynch himself) to come round to my way of thinking and realise the perfect genius of this film (It will happen).

The 'Alan Smithee' extended tv version I also own, is an interesting side-note, but essentially ruins the film entirely. So call me a skeptic but my interest is definetly peaked by the sound of some of these edits. I doubt they could improve on perfection but I'm willing to find out.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah I have the Blu as well, still prefer Third Stage and ADM's Dune they are both a LOT better than the original theatrical cut.

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, this is a pretty old thread. Last post was from 2013. Is the 3rd stage edition still considered the best edit of Dune?
I haven't seen Lynch's version yet but I heard it's very flawed, so I'd like to go for the best version before seeing the new one.

EDIT: Nevermind, a quick search just put me in the right path. Apparently there's a new version that's considered the go-to version now.

Last edited:

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, this is pretty old thread. Last post was from 2013. Is the 3rd stage edition still considered the best edit of Dune?
I haven't seen Lynch's version yet but I heard it's very flawed, so I'd like to go for the best version before seeing the new one.

EDIT: Nevermind, a quick search just put me in the right path. Apparently there's a new version that's considered the go-to version now.
The Alternative Edition Redux is the way to go, IMO.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ummm...that's too close to tell. They are both excellent. They all have their merits. But these two are the best. Flip a coin. You will win.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To be honest I've yet to see the Deluxe Edition, a mistake I intend to fix soon. I've been in love with the Alternative Edition Redux since day one, hence my vote, but the Deluxe Edition does seem extremely interesting indeed.

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just finished up watching the third of them for me (Third Stage, appropriately enough). It's a tough call for me between Deluxe & Redux, but I lean to Deluxe. You can't go wrong with any of the three--they are all good.

Amok

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Deluxe is fantastic. I only have one gripe with it: the Brian Eno - Prophecy theme is overused way too much. Other than that, it's a near perfect version. Spicediver's Alternate Redux remains my favorite by a hair. I wonder if the old project files would work with a video file of the new 4K edition.

Top Bottom