• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Dune: The Alternative Edition Redux

spicediver

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DuneAltEditionReduxDVD3DDISPLAY.jpg

FANEDIT RELEASED: July 2012

RUNNING TIME: 178 minutes
FORMATS: AVI, MP4, DVD-9 (double layer)
SUBTITLES: English & Spanish available at Subscene.com

***TECHNICAL DETAILS***

AVI (2.9GB): XviD 2000kbps 2-pass VBR, AC3 stereo audio 256kps
MP4 (2.9GB): x264 2000kbps 2-pass VBR, AAC stereo audio 256kps
DVD (8.5GB): Mpeg2 5800kbps 2-pass VBR, AC3 stereo audio 256kbps

***ABOUT THIS FANEDIT***

A film that’s been admired, hated and puzzled-over in fairly equal amounts, writer/director David Lynch’s ambitious 1984 adaptation of Frank Herbert’s science fiction novel gets an extensive fanediting treatment in Dune The Alternative Edition Redux. This is my third and final cut of an edit I first released in 2008 and again in 2009. As previously, it draws on the heavily cut Theatrical Version, the controversial Extended “TV” Version and a selection of Deleted Scenes and soundtrack cues.

The Redux cut is, firstly, an opportunity for me to apply the additional skills I’ve learnt since this fanedit’s original release. Technical improvements include cleaning up dirty footage and completing the blue eyes FX, while creative changes include two new “filmbooks”, a new 4-part structure to the film, and a new ending that’s truer to the remarkable world that Frank Herbert created.

Secondly, Redux has allowed me to respond to some of the criticisms made by fans over the years and make further changes that I think improve the storytelling and presentation. The restoration of Princess Irulan as the film’s narrator is one such example.

For me it’s been a long, exciting and sometimes exhausting journey. I’d particularly like to thank the fanediting community. Without such avenues to promote my work and without the generous input and feedback of enthusiastic members, the Dune movie as I have moulded it simply wouldn’t exist.

David Lynch himself refuses to revisit the film, despite admitting that “there’s something wrong with that movie” and complaining that he never had final cut. So it’s left to us fans to tinker and reshape this curious piece of sc-fi cinema; trying to minimise its many flaws, amplify its many strengths and - in my case - trying to add something new as well.

I hope you enjoy the trip.

Spicediver, July 2012. :)

***THE CHANGELIST***

Following is a comprehensive list of changes based on the two officially released versions of DUNE – the Theatrical Edition and the Extended Edition.

ADDITIONS

* Most scenes and footage unique to the Extended Edition have been used.

* The following Deleted Scenes from the DVD extras have been included:
- The Fremen Reverend Mother’s original opening to the film
- An extension of Fremen housekeeper Mapes testing Jessica
- Thufir and Leto discussing the Fremen’s prophecy about Paul
- An extension of Paul’s talk with Jessica after his waking dream
- The aftermath of Paul defeating Jamis in the knife fight
- The Fremen priest telling Paul he may be the fulfilment of their prophecy
- A shot of Jessica in labour with Alia
- A closeup shot of Fremen warriors shouting “long live the fighters!”
- Thufir Howat’s redemption and death
- Paul taking Princess Irulan as his wife.

* The film has been divided into four “Books”, each with a title frame preceded by a quote from various Dune novels. The original novel by Frank Herbert was divided into 3 books. This fanedit includes these and adds a 4th book to accommodate the structure of the film. The titles are: Book I: The Great Houses; Book II: Dune; Book III: Muad'dib; Book IV: The Prophet.

* Two new filmbooks have been created about the history of the universe, and are seen being read by Paul Atreides during the film. They have been built with material from the Extended Edition's prologue and are designed to match the look and feel of the existing filmbook that appears early in the movie.

ALTERATIONS

* Some scenes from both the Theatrical and Extended Editions have been moved around and relocated to improve the narrative, including changes to accommodate the fanedit’s new 4-part structure.

* A new opening features Princess Irulan’s narration, a Fremen ceremony and customised Dune Titles. The Fremen ceremony audio now has the intended reverb added, and the chanted answers to the Reverend Mother are now the sound of a whole crowd responding instead of a single placemarker voice.

* A new, simpler ending has been created, modelled on an earlier draft script, where Paul does not magically make rain fall on Arrakis. The idea of rain on Arrakis is a narrative and ecological absurdity in the world that Frank Herbert created.

* Princess Irulan is the narrator. The Alternative Edition Redux uses most elements of her narration from the Theatrical Edition, plus selected audio edits from her Deleted Scene.

* The male narrator including the painted prologue from the Extended Edition has been deleted, but parts of it have been reworked into two new filmbooks about the history of the universe, read by Paul Atreides during the film.

* The overuse and/or inappropriate choice of music in some scenes from the Extended Edition has been addressed.

* The attack on House Atreides by the Harkonnen and the Emperor's forces is confusingly shot and edited in places. This has now been re-edited and some shots flipped around, to a give better sense of direction and a better sense of the ebb and flow of battle.

* Because the Fremen Reverend Mother's prophecy now opens the film, it's appearance in the official versions of the Dune - when House Atreides lands on Arrakis - now seems like an exact repeat of an earlier shot. So the Trip To Arrakis sequence has now been remixed so that only desert landscapes are used for the visuals, while the prophecy is still heard on the soundtrack.

* The Deleted Scene where Thufir speaks to Leto about the Fremen prophecy now opens with an atmospheric long shot of Arakeen and the castle keep. This shot has been changed to make it set at dusk and the 2nd moon rising over the shield wall has been added.

* An new closeup of Princess Irulan - and some altered footage - has been included in the scene where Paul surveys the prisoners after his defeat of the Emperor.

DELETIONS

* Approximately 60% of internal dialogue has been removed from the audio track and, where necessary, the video has been recut. I believe it was a colossal mistake by Lynch to adapt this narrative device so literally from Frank Herbert’s novel. In the translation from book to film many viewers find a good deal of it irritating and unnecessary. It often spoonfeeds obvious information to the audience and can pull the viewer out of the scene rather than drawing them in. Essential elements like The Litany Against Fear have been left intact.

* Deleted the incongruous St Francis Prayer section from Princess Irulan’s final narration, in order to move the story away from a simplistic and forced happy ending: “Where there was war, Muad’dib would bring peace; where there was hatred Muad’dib would bring love.” Dune is not Disney, despite producer Dino De Laurentiis' apparent attempts to make it so.

* Reduced Paul’s awkward forced laughter in two shots to a more believable smile.

* Deleted some cheesy closeups of the actors when riding the sandworms.

* Deleted Chani’s cheesy line when Paul wakes from a dream: “You were calling my name. It frightened me.”

* Deleted Beast Rabban’s diabolical laughter when the Baron hands him charge of Arrakis. Also deleted the shot of him kicking over the dwarf. These villains are already cartoonish enough.

* Deleted or fixed some bad rear projection FX shots during Paul and Jessica’s pursuit by the sandworm. This action scene as also been tightened to increase the sense of danger.

* The climax of Paul and Feyd’s knife fight has been tightened to make it more tense and more plausible.

TECHNICAL FIXES

* Completed the blue spice eyes FX on human characters where this effect was missing in the Extended Edition and in some Deleted Scenes.

* Also added blue spice eyes FX to the 3rd stage Guild navigators in two scenes, in line with the description of the navigators in Frank Herbert's books.

* Colour-corrected all footage unique to the Extended Edition to remove a pronounced green tint.

* Fixed the filmbook read by Paul in the opening scene on Caladan because many images are stretched out in the wrong aspect ratio. These shots have now been corrected and the images rebuilt.

* Fixed the infamous editing mistakes, bad audio joins and censorship in scenes that were used from the Extended Edition.

* Digitally cleaned and restored the lower resolution Deleted Scenes to improve the image quality. Also cleaned up audio where possible.

* The Extended Edition DVD print is slightly crisper and generally in better shape than the Theatrical DVD print. So where Theatrical Edition footage was needed or preferred, footage from the French Bluray was used (scaled down to Standard Definition) due to the cleaner print.

* The audio track from the Theatrical Edition is used wherever possible due to its superior quality and mix.

***THANKYOU***

Dwight Fry
Nomarch
Captain Khajiit
Ssj
Geminigod
Brumous
Neglify
Quickcut
Herowoac
L8wrtr
Ghouldetail
Gatos
ThrowgnCpr
Turnip5
Juan-man
Dune.info

***AVAILABILITY***

MP4 and AVI now available, DVD to come later.

Now available on Rapidshare via .Info, and as a torrent at Demonoid.

Available later on Usenet.

Or just PM me.

Reviews of the edit on the Project Page (once the page is up - early July I assume) are appreciated!

spelledaren

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great! I enjoyed your previous edit quite a lot, this sounds just excellent.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
as a dude who very much enjoyed the alternative edition, i'm looking forward to this even more. any chance of putting it up on MF in addition to/instead of RS?

spicediver

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
as a dude who very much enjoyed the alternative edition, i'm looking forward to this even more. any chance of putting it up on MF in addition to/instead of RS?

MF is a dead option for us now my friend. For the full story do a Google search and weep.

The edit will be available via other avenues soon however.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well done! Really looking forward to watching this.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spicediver said:
Spicediver, July 2012. :)
He's come back from the future to share a fanedit with us!

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spicetrip hangovers can do that. i saw his spicepuke everywhere. :oops:

JWebb

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just got done downloading. I only had time to watch the first 7 1/2 minutes and it's already my favoritest version of Dune ever.

Thank you Spicediver!!

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
EDIT: Weird the direct link works but it doesn't show up in a search

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are the MP4 and AVI equal in visual quality, or is one better?

spicediver

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
EDIT: Weird the direct link works but it doesn't show up in a search

Ehh...not sure what you mean. Which search and link are you talking about?

spicediver

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brumous said:
Are the MP4 and AVI equal in visual quality, or is one better?

At 2000kbps, and encoded as slow as possible, they are similar in quality. The MP4 is a tad cleaner looking.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spicediver said:
At 2000kbps, and encoded as slow as possible, they are similar in quality. The MP4 is a tad cleaner looking.

Thanks. I am very much liking your diverse broadcasting strategy. Many formats, many access methods. It's a lot of work on your part, but the online visibility of the fanedit is already excellent.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i joined the FE.org party rather late, well after boon stopped posting regularly. but i had the pleasure of talking with him in the chatroom last year.

one bit of golden advice from the man: he said to make fanedits available thru as many channels as possible. after all, one of the goals of fanediting is to have your work seen.

so thanks, spicediver, for making your edit available in non-nzb ways. :)

spicediver

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For NZB heads I'll post a Usenet binary soon too.

spicediver

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just an update on availability:

AVI and MP4 from RS via DLC files at Info or just PM me.

AVI torrent via h33t and Demonoid.

edit0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Would also love to see it in HD. :eek:

I loved the Third Stage edition, exactly because of the Irulan VO. I watched the first few minutes of the V2-version and, sadly, the intro turned me off. :( Seeing as you have removed that bit and re-assembled that part, I really want to check the Redux out. The male-narrator-VO looked good on paper, but in reality, it destroyed the atmosphere and tension for me - I don't blame that on you at all, it's something I got used to with fanedits, as some things just look exciting, but destroy what the director created in terms of atmosphere. Everything you posted sounds as if it serves the movie in practice, so I am really excited. Your work is SO appreciated, and this could well be the cut I've been waiting for, seeing as even the Third Stage cut had small problems.

Two details though: did you think about including bits and pieces of the original comic that was released when the film came out (probably could further better the 'film books'), and did you include new music? I very much agree about the, umh... "overused" Toto score. Dune needs more Eno (second best musical-thing to happen to Lynch with Badalamenti).
So yeah, looking forward to the new version, and if you can, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HD. :)

Top Bottom