• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Dune: The Alternative Edition Redux

Thanks for your enthusiasm. :)

As I've pointed out elsewhere, a HD version is impossible until Universal releases the Extended Edition on Bluray. I would never create a version that flicks between official SD and HD footage, which is all that is possible right now.

Re. the comic, no I didn't think of that, but I didn't want to crowd out the edit with filmbooks anyway.

Re. music, when you say "new music" I assume you mean to ask did I re-score some of the film? Yes. There are some cues and themes I lifted from the soundtrack album that are not heard in either official versions of the film. In some scenes I removed music altogether. And Brian Eno & Daniel Lanois' "Prophecy Theme" appears 3 times in this edit.

edit0r said:
Would also love to see it in HD. :eek:

I loved the Third Stage edition, exactly because of the Irulan VO. I watched the first few minutes of the V2-version and, sadly, the intro turned me off. :( Seeing as you have removed that bit and re-assembled that part, I really want to check the Redux out. The male-narrator-VO looked good on paper, but in reality, it destroyed the atmosphere and tension for me - I don't blame that on you at all, it's something I got used to with fanedits, as some things just look exciting, but destroy what the director created in terms of atmosphere. Everything you posted sounds as if it serves the movie in practice, so I am really excited. Your work is SO appreciated, and this could well be the cut I've been waiting for, seeing as even the Third Stage cut had small problems.

Two details though: did you think about including bits and pieces of the original comic that was released when the film came out (probably could further better the 'film books'), and did you include new music? I very much agree about the, umh... "overused" Toto score. Dune needs more Eno (second best musical-thing to happen to Lynch with Badalamenti).
So yeah, looking forward to the new version, and if you can, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HD. :)

And even if that happens, it's very unlikely we'll ever get the deleted scenes reel in HD...

This is now my official viewing cut of Dune. The 4-book structure worked wonders. I loved the quotes and the additions of the filmbooks. The new ending is freaking awesome. Great work!

turnip5 said:
This is now my official viewing cut of Dune. The 4-book structure worked wonders. I loved the quotes and the additions of the filmbooks. The new ending is freaking awesome. Great work!

Thanks - glad you enjoyed it. :)

Availability update re. AVI and MP4:

1. Rapidshare links have been updated due to minor technical tweaks I made to the edit (sync in one scene, jerky motion in another). New DLC files will be at .Info today or tomorrow.
  2. AVI torrent at h33t and Demonoid has also been replaced and updated.
  3. An AVI/Xvid disc that collects Dune docos and interviews from different DVD releases is also a torrent.

DVD is due at the end of the month.

Any probs just PM me!

Ah Lynch's Dune, such a grand attempt at adapting Herbert's classic novel and yet flawed in quite a few ways, I have enjoyed your version 2 of this effort and now look forward to this final version. And this is a running time that really justifies a dual layer release, will have to wait patiently until the dvd is available; congrats on finishing this project.

This looks very nice. May I ask what the resolution and bitrates of the AVI and MP4 encodings are like? I prefer a nice full-res MP4 (or even AVI/XVID) to the bloated low-quality MPEG2 encoding of the DVD format, but if the DVD is in a higher resolution than the others, I'll go for DVD.

theslime said:
This looks very nice. May I ask what the resolution and bitrates of the AVI and MP4 encodings are like? I prefer a nice full-res MP4 (or even AVI/XVID) to the bloated low-quality MPEG2 encoding of the DVD format, but if the DVD is in a higher resolution than the others, I'll go for DVD.

Thanks for asking. I'm as fussy as hell when it comes to encoding. ;)

All my encodes are full res. In this case, 720x480. Suggest you go for the MP4. The DVD won't be out for a few weeks. By the way, I get outstanding results with mpeg-2/DVD encoding using the free app HCenc.

Tech info has now been added to the 1st post in this thread.

SD

Sounds great! Even on FE.org where people generally are very knowledgeable, people tend to think that AVI or even SD MP4 always means lowres because they're used to years of bad 700mb rips. It's nice that some people bother about good encodings for non-DVD formats. I use an HTPC with XBMC and never bother burning discs anyway, so I prefer MP4 or MKV.

And I agree, HCenc is the best. I just want MPEG2 to die. It's 20 years old, and while you may get good quality, you're have to quadruple the bitrate of more modern codecs like x264 or vp8 or even xvid to get it.

Availability update:

The MP4 release is now a torrent on Demonoid and h33t. :)

The MP4 release is now available on Usenet. :)

Check Info tomorrow for the NZB file or feel free to PM me.

Spicediver.

Thanks for making it available in a number of locations, looking forward to it.

I just wanted to say thank you for this fanedit! Suddenly Dune is watchable without needing to read the books ahead of time. :rolleyes:

Still a bit trippy, and incredibly information dense but that just adds to the richness of the universe. I really felt like this was something I would have seen in theaters.

Thank you.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

bornagainpenguin said:
I just wanted to say thank you for this fanedit! Suddenly Dune is watchable without needing to read the books ahead of time. :rolleyes:

Still a bit trippy, and incredibly information dense but that just adds to the richness of the universe. I really felt like this was something I would have seen in theaters.

Thank you.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Mr Penguin. :)

You also might like to register in the project pages section of the site and leave a review and star rating:

http://fanedit.org/wp/15996/

+1 with bornagainpenguin.
Dune is now finally a watchable & enjoyable film! :)

Watched this a few days ago. By far the best cinematic version of Dune I've ever seen. Having watched the previous Alternative Editions also, I think the work you've done with cleaning up the deleted scenes, coloring in the blue eyes, and just achieving a whole new level of polish is nothing short of amazing.

I haven't been so impressed with a the ability of a fanedit to turn a crappy movie into a great one since l8wrtrs Shadow of the Sith. However, like with SOTS, I feel that this new level of polish has brought to my attention a bunch of minor problems and blemishes I never noticed before, and I do see the potential to make it even better.

I plan to make a full and detailed review in a few weeks, once I've watched it a few times more, and rewatched the theatrical for reference purposes. Anyway: Thank you, thank you, thank you. Fanedits like this is the whole reason why I got involved in fanedits from the start.

Thanks herowoac. :)

herowoac said:
Watched this a few days ago. By far the best cinematic version of Dune I've ever seen. Having watched the previous Alternative Editions also, I think the work you've done with cleaning up the deleted scenes, coloring in the blue eyes, and just achieving a whole new level of polish is nothing short of amazing.

I haven't been so impressed with a the ability of a fanedit to turn a crappy movie into a great one since l8wrtrs Shadow of the Sith. However, like with SOTS, I feel that this new level of polish has brought to my attention a bunch of minor problems and blemishes I never noticed before, and I do see the potential to make it even better.

I plan to make a full and detailed review in a few weeks, once I've watched it a few times more, and rewatched the theatrical for reference purposes. Anyway: Thank you, thank you, thank you. Fanedits like this is the whole reason why I got involved in fanedits from the start.

Guys, I'd be grateful for a volunteer to download (from Rapidshare) my double layer DVD disc for checking before I release it.

This would involve burning it to a DVD+R DL disc this week sometime and playing on your hardware to check:

1. Any menu navigation problem
1. Any layer transition problem (I'll tell you where it's located)

Thanks.

PS. please don't ask me to upload it to Mediafire cause it ain't gonna happen :p It *will* be later uploaded to Usenet, and a torrent also if I can get help initially seeding it (but that's for later).

Spice,

I have a RS account so volunteer. Please PM me.

Back
Top Bottom