• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Dune (2021) Denis Villeneuve's Film

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

I'm getting some bad vibes off this new trailer. Chalamet is sounding like mopey Emo-ad'Dib ;). Jason Momoa is dropping awkward humour (like he's still in the Whedon cut of JL) in a trailer which also has holocaust type images. If the tone of the actual movie is similarly all over the place then it's going to have problems. The FX in that last shot where he opens his helmet looks totally rubbish. That giant egg-pod spaceship thing at 01.09 looks cool. The cinematography still looks bland to me, the music too. Also "The film is slated to be released in select theaters" and "PG-13" sound dubious.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^To me, this whole thing has looked aimed at Gen Z sensibilities from the start...which just ain't me. Then again, I thought WW84 looked like a trainwreck from the start, and I know some people here quite like it, so.... different strokes for different folks.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like a well-directed teen epic, which doesn't appeal to me. I loved Arrival but didn't like Sicario or Blade Runner 2049, so not sure what to think of DV at the moment. I thought the book Dune was pretty poor and overrated in a lot of respects. I haven't seen Lynch's adaptation.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like a well-directed teen epic, which doesn't appeal to me. I loved Arrival but didn't like Sicario or Blade Runner 2049, so not sure what to think of DV at the moment. I thought the book Dune was pretty poor and overrated in a lot of respects. I haven't seen Lynch's adaptation.
I loved the first trailer with that "boring" pink floyd cover (@TM2YC 😜) but I have to agree that the dialogue of Paul and Duncan made me a bit worried. Momoa just makes me smile because of how lively he is, but he kind of clashes with the presentation of the drab that many are talking about (I like that look though). Villeneuve's movies capture the look I like, I just hope the dialogue can live up to it.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As someone who saw the GoT series first and is now reading the books, I hope they inject some humor. I love the original Dune book, but it definitely needs some humor for a mass release movie. I liked the trailer. I’ll likely go see it in the theater even though we’ll get it free at home.

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As someone who saw the GoT series first and is now reading the books, I hope they inject some humor. I love the original Dune book, but it definitely needs some humor for a mass release movie. I liked the trailer. I’ll likely go see it in the theater even though we’ll get it free at home.
You have an HBO Max subscription?

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll pass judgement until i've seen it but i have some concerns like the rest of you . I also felt the Duncan Idaho humour was a bit iffy. The colour although more realistic is a bit drab - i loved the saturation of the 80's Dune but i really am trying to get away from comparing...we'll see on 22nd October. It'll have to be the 23rd at the IMAX for me, as im off to see Rufus Wainwright on the 22nd.

15MaF

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The recent trailer had a really bland, unrealistic colour space. Costume design was too subtle for the most part. Sfx for shields seems a bit consumer grade. Then there's dodgy dialogue/awkard humour, overtly cliched emphasis'. There are vehicles with what seemed like dragon fly wings rather than ornithological wings, cgi armour that looks like it belongs on cartoon network. Erm.. cinematography is okaay. Harkonnens look alright so far? Dunno. I'm certainly not blown away like some of the shills on You Tube that's for sure. This all feels really average and safe so far. There's really zero grandeur. But then its all premature of course...They might be hiding the flashes of colour and irrudescant sun baked Fremen pottery glass. The rich tapestries and gilded opulence...

Last edited:

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am not sure if this has been posted previously on this thread. Apologies if so...definitely a great cast involved. Stephen Colbert interviews the cast.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Early reviews are in after Venice. It’s mixed to be sure. I think if you like what Villeneuve normally does—whether you’re familiar with the source material or not—it seems you’ll like this film. If you don’t generally appreciate his style, you won’t. But I happen to like his style and I’m most encouraged by the fact that many reviewers unfamiliar with the source material were quite impressed. It does sound as though it is definitely one half of a movie. I hope we get the second half. I’m seeing it in 10 days here in Germany. But, as a bad omen for its overall commercial success, my wife declined to join me. 🤣

Last edited:

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Well, if the one-two punch of beefy-sexy Momoa and emo-sexy Chalamet can't reel in the wifeys then the film truly is doomed. lol

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This featurette shows a lot more varied shots and Dune tech than some others trailers. The designs and visuals look like they might be much more interesting and unique than I'd thought. I still don't know why everything has to be underexposed shades of grey/brown.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well it’s definitely Dune. It’s definitely not “Marveled” up for a mass audience. As such I’m not sure I’m best to judge the movie. I’m so familiar with the source material and someone who actually really likes the Lynch adaptation (especially spicediver’s edit of it), that I’m not sure I can impartially review it. For example, the movie pretty much jumps right into things. Yes there’s some very expository scenes but for the most part it felt like the movie trusts people to understand the complexities of the world. I’m not sure all will. I also found it difficult to stay enthralled as it is so much beat for beat the Dune I know. It doesn’t feel particularly new. That could be perceived as good or bad. But it didn’t feel fresh to me.

Things I liked:

- the performances were all good and felt right
- I’m glad they opted not to use voice overs
- it doesn’t shy away from themes that might controversial
- it didn’t try to change the overall tone to, as I said at the top, make it more like the Marvel movies that have had so much success at this budget level

Niggles:

- I know some aren’t going to like the look of it, but I felt it was appropriate for the desolate nature of Arrakis. But they may have undersaturated it a bit too much.
- This is pretty much an issue with Dune as a story, but the characters don’t have much depth. They are archetypes and we don’t particularly relate to them on an emotional level. I had hoped for more here.

I hope they get to finish it, but it’s not a home run for me. But it is a good adaptation of Dune and I’m happy to have seen it. If you like Dune I think it’s definitely worth seeing. If you know nothing about Dune, I’d definitely recommend reading the book.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I also found it difficult to stay enthralled as it is so much beat for beat the Dune I know. It doesn’t feel particularly new. That could be perceived as good or bad. But it didn’t feel fresh to me.
This is actually what I was hoping to hear!

valra

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm new to Dune. I think Villeneuve is a good, but not great director. BR2049 is one of my favorite movies, though. Just came out of Dune and I was bored out of my mind. The pacing is really slow and the movie is at least an hour too long. It's your standard hero's journey so far, but with really bland characters and way too much exposition.

I felt like the movie didn't trust the audience. Every object and its use is explained by characters talking about it or watching a instruction video. Remember that flying thing from K's car in BR2049 and how nobody needed to explain what it does because it was self evident? There are similar flying things in this movie that are pretty self-explanatory, but you have a woman telling another character what those objects do during an action scene. It's like that with many things of the Dune universe and you could trim at least thirty minutes by cutting those expositions.

The visuals are great, but don't really carry the movie. Maybe I need to read the book to get something out of the visuals, because the story of this movie is so bland that the visuals seem like a shiny distraction from an empty core.

My biggest gripe with the movie was a lack of emotional connection. Things just happened and nothing really evoked any emotions in me. I never resonated with any of the struggles the characters were going through and there were no real surprises in the movie. When something is set up, it happens as expected, which kinda sapped all the tension out of the movie after a while.

Honestly, I'm really surprised that I was this bored with a Villeneuve movie. I'm not sure if I'm ever gonna rewatch it and have no desire to see the second one.

Top Bottom