• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Dune (2021) Denis Villeneuve's Film

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I grew tired of the film's exposition dialogue repeatedly following a three stage formula: 1. the book version, 2. the movie version, 3. the dumb version e.g. "It's a Crysknife. The tooth of Shai-Hulud. A big sandworm", or "It's a Gom Jabbar. A poisoned needle. It instantly causes death" etc.
Yes very much this! Not to mention the beating the book expository dead horse, by saying “Desert Power” five times. If they didn’t act like it was the most ingenious revelation every time they uttered it, Desert Power— let me say it again for emphasis—might have worked better. I plan to work on an edit of this which makes the ending of Pt 1 truer to that segment of the book. And guess what... Paul won’t be saying DESERT POWER. 👏😆

HeroBLOB

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am planning to test a Neon Dune edit, with a new color grade and music from the original Blade Runner and other Vangelis works, I think it suits the movie well.

As much as I loved the soundtrack, the movie would benefit with a melodic theme, it would be a lot more memorable. A tune that when people heard it they would immediately associate with Dune.
I would absolutely love to see the 2021 film with a new score, and I think Vangelis is a good direction to head in.

There was so much to like in the new movie, particularly a lot of the design work, the casting, and some of the space shots. But there was something missing, the feeling of mysticism. It felt too industrial, and the score (to me) was the biggest factor pulling it down. Blaring, screaming Zimmer that falls too often into Dark Knight Joker-theme 'listening to an industrial-strength vacuum cleaner' territory.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know there was talk in another thread about how to purchase this movie and people were using a VPN to buy it from Sweden. Well, perhaps this is common knowledge now, but just in case, I noticed that it is a wily for purchase on Amazon Prime. I’m not currently interested but thought I’d let you all know.

QuickestEditInTheWest

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally caved and rented this from Amazon. I was hoping to see it in a theatre but the ones near me stopped show it a while back apparently.

I enjoyed it for the most part and only really have two major gripes.

1. THE 'PART ONE' NATURE OF THE FILM
I can imagine this being a serious problem for more causal movie goers. I can understand why they chose to end it where they did from a thematic sense but I kind of wish they also considered how this would feel on a more 'surface level' perspective. Thematic and emotional climaxes are reached (or at least solidified in their trajectory) at the film's finale but in contrast the action, pacing and tension has slowed to a crawl. This doesn't particularly sour my experience, especially knowing a Part Two is definitely coming down the pipeline now, but I could hear the odd "Eh? Is that it?!" from more casual viewers in my head as the film drew to a close.
I'm surprised the decision wasn't made to end the film about half an hour earlier whilst still retaining the current running time. I love the look and feel of the world and the casting is fantastic across the board so would've eaten up even more world/character building.

2. WHO ARE WE FIGHTING FOR?
I have yet to read the books. They are on my to-do list so perhaps this is more palatable there but... I struggle to care about warring houses if there are no 'regular folk' that will be affected by the victory or defeat of said houses. I'm not talking about the Fremen either I'm talking about the houses themselves. This is a sticking point for me, unfortunately. It's a similar problem I had with Zack Snyder's Justice League where they have to save the world but it seems like our heroes are the only ones that live there so why should I care? Think of something like Helm's Deep in Lord Of The Rings and how we keep cutting to the families and children hiding in the caves whilst the battle rages outside. This may not be a problem in the books. It's also been a long time since I've seen the David Lynch adaptation but I don't remember having the same issue whilst watching that.

Issues aside, I still enjoyed it and am looking forward to Part Two whenever that arrives.

Dawnrazor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know there was talk in another thread about how to purchase this movie and people were using a VPN to buy it from Sweden. Well, perhaps this is common knowledge now, but just in case, I noticed that it is a wily for purchase on Amazon Prime. I’m not currently interested but thought I’d let you all know.
Yes,it's still available to both rent and buy in Sweden.
And tomorrow 2021-12-20 it will be available on Blu-ray over here.
A early release for Sweden and the other nordic countries of this movie.
So tomorrow I will probably grab a copy.
Happy Christmas everyone!

YI4722y.jpg

fOkWkzQ.jpg

Driver

Reaction score
Trophy Points
While an overall better movie than the official 1984 movie, it probably wasn't a good idea to have watched the Spice Diver Edit before watching it, as it made me feel like I was watching a live action Disney remake of its last 2/3rds, due to how similar the new one's beats were to most of the SDE. Feel like it's really the next movie where I'll be seeing more plot and character differences from the 2 versions. Wished I could've seen it in a theater, as it looks like it was meant for an IMAX showing.

I liked most of the actors in it, but my opinion on Timothee Chalamet's acting of Paul will likely depend on the next movie, as he's not really given much of an opportunity to give much of an impression on me, compared to a good chunk of the other actors. I kinda want to see someone take elements of the 80s and new Harkonnens and see what they look like fused together, as the newer ones look and feel rather bland, compared to the older ones. I like Hans Zimmer, but I'd have to look more into his Dune score, as I don't remember much of it.

Last edited:

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I took advantage of a tremendous Black Friday deal to get a new 85” Samsung neoQLED TV. And after careful calibration I chose this movie to watch. This was my third viewing now and I have to say it has really grown on me. I liked it before, but I love it now and I’m really excited for Part Two. And man does it look great on this new screen.

Last edited:

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I absolutely hated this movie. My fiance even walked out of it and she never walked out of the theatre before.
Almost everything about this movie is meh to me. (except some visuals)
Watching it again next week with a friend who says it's his favorite movie. That will be interesting.

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Soooo.. watched it the second time and I have softened up to the most a bit.

There are still unforgivable flaws in the movie, mainly with the story telling. The war for example. Why are the sardaukar needed? How big are the armies? There is no sense of scale at all which means you arent invested in any way. You just shrug and go well apparently they lost because of .. reasons?

Why isnt the machine era mentioned? Without that context the narration about the spice doesnt even make sense for the story itself.

The terrible mosquito scene is litterally still the worst.

I remember thinking the armor was confusing in the movie and upon second viewing I have to say I was objectively right. They stab eachother to death constantly with fast movements even though apparently only slow moving objects should penetrate it.

overall if I'm honest it's a 6/10 instead if the 4/10 I gave it at release. It still surprises me it scores as high as it did with the many flaws the film has for non book readers. I guess people were just happy to be in the cinema again after covid lol.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m rereading the book for the first time in over 30 years. I just got past where this movie ends. I’m struck by just how faithful the adaptation is. There are definitely some things I would’ve done differently (namely more development of Yueh). But given how much of the story in the novel is conveyed through inner monologues and an omniscient narrator, it’s remarkably faithful. I’d prefer it be less faithful, frankly. More character moments would be welcome in both book and film.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m rereading the book for the first time in over 30 years. I just got past where this movie ends. I’m struck by just how faithful the adaptation is. There are definitely some things I would’ve done differently (namely more development of Yueh). But given how much of the story in the novel is conveyed through inner monologues and an omniscient narrator, it’s remarkably faithful. I’d prefer it be less faithful, frankly. More character moments would be welcome in both book and film.
I would have also loved Villenueve to film and incorporate the dinner scene.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like it will be more of the same, which you’d expect from a sequel that the director says is really one big movie. If you enjoyed the first one (like me), you’re likely pleased with how it looks. If you hated the first one (like @Gieferg), you’re likely to not be interested.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What do you all think of the Part Two trailer?

Brown-Grey blur THE MOVIE!

But seriously, despite me wishing it had a bit more visual flair, I'm looking forward to it and seeing the other two thirds of the book. From the shots in the trailer, it looks like it's going to dramatise the sequences that weren't in the Lynch version. I like the new casting choices too.

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well hello we have some narration by Princess Irulan entering the building! Seems we also have some black and white flashbacks of "not-sting" gladatorial fighting scenes. Too bad we didn't get to scene Duncan also in the arena in part 1 which if I remember correctly is how he actually died. The pt 2 trailer looks pretty cool to me, and the sandworm surfing now is much improved over part 1. Are you tryin'' to tell me the FBI is gonna pay me to learn to sandworm surf? Vaya con dios, Bodhi!

4e101a56601b1d5288e481fc2b1c9e7d.jpg

Artist depiction of the actual Kwizatz Haderach

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well hello we have some narration by Princess Irulan entering the building!
I’m hoping not too much, but rather sets up Irulan and her historical records for part three, where they are much more important IMO.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the sandworm surfing now is much improved

I wasn't so sure on that. It looks like he's jumping on the worm because he's awesome. I thought the idea of forcing it's scales open, so the worm moves the opening away from the sand and so caries the rider up to the top was such cool logical thinking through of how it could be done by Herbert. I hope we see that properly.

Top Bottom