• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Dune (1984) Alternative Edition Redux | Special 1080p Edition

spicediver

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
52135377896_0c0f33e6b9_o.jpg

IFDB link:

Brief Synopsis:
This is my 1080p high definition rebuild of Dune The Alternative Edition Redux, my 2012 fanedit (in 480 standard definition) of David Lynch's 1984 science fiction film.

Intention:
The footage is drawn from 94% 1080p sources, and also features improved special effects, improved colour correction and a small number of minor additional editing changes. Enjoy this fanedit in glorious new detail - such visually rich and imaginative cinema as Lynch’s Dune deserves no less.

Special Thanks:

For assistance on the Special 1080p Edition, in particular I would like to thank:

addiesin
ArtisDead
doug23
DwightFry
TM2YC
Wakeupkeo

Screenshots slideshow:

YouTube

This new Special 1080p Edition is available on YouTube in some countries:

Last edited:

jackparsons

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Woohoo! Can't wait to get it! This is the finest peplum ever made, and is sumptuous.

A tip: I used the Downsub site to process the subtitles into SRT, as the other options for getting subtitles out of YT are horrendous.

elmosoprano

Reaction score
Trophy Points
this is brilliant, well done! i always thought it would be amazing to have this edit in hd

Last edited:

Hydra Spectre

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you so much for this.
My only problem is that it's still only in 2.0 sound, when a 5.1 mix would be great and definitely possible.
The Koch Media Blu-ray has 5.1 audio for both the Theatrical and Extended Cuts.
If you cannot encode in DTS-HD MA 5.1 or Dolby TrueHD 5.1, you can get someone else to do it, with your 2.0 mix as a sort of guide on how to do the updated Spicediver 5.1 mix.

backsox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There is now a revised second edition of the SpiceDiver edit, one that combines ALL known footage from the two major versions, theatrical and extended Smithee cuts, plus the new transitional material . It‘s not in 1080p, but still an excellent viewing experience just the same.

PM me for more info.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There is now a revised second edition of the SpiceDiver edit, one that combines ALL known footage from the two major versions, theatrical and extended Smithee cuts, plus the new transitional material . It‘s not in 1080p, but still an excellent viewing experience just the same.

PM me for more info.
Wait, are you @spicediver ?

backsox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am not SpiceDiver, but apparently an anonymous editor decided to create a new hybrid edit using ALL known footage from the film, while maintaining the transitional edits and links SpiceDiver made for its previous edit, but downplaying the edits made for the Allen Smithee version.

However, that does not take away anything from what SpiceDiver did with its edit…it stands on its own merits and does its best to do some sort of justice to what David Lynch had in mind when he shot it.

There have also been other fan edits of DUNE made, and I personally have seen one of them (created by someone named Michael Warren) on archive.org—though haphazardly edited, it may have laid the groundwork for SpiceDiver’s edit.

StoneBurner19

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@backsox Where can I find this new edit? I tried to PM but it said I can't message you. I would love to see it. If you can respond here or message me, please do.

jlyon1515

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have seen it. Just wanted to give the info, that someone on Youtube has upscaled it to 4K.
You are incorrect. The YouTube video was uploaded in September 2021. So that upscale is NOT an upscale of this most recent Spicediver edit, which wasn't released until July 2022. The upscale is of Spicediver's previous version. Sure, it's probably very similar, but it's incorrect to say that YouTube version is an upscale of the most recent Spicediver release.

Galahaddulac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You are incorrect. The YouTube video was uploaded in September 2021. So that upscale is NOT an upscale of this most recent Spicediver edit, which wasn't released until July 2022. The upscale is of Spicediver's previous version. Sure, it's probably very similar, but it's incorrect to say that YouTube version is an upscale of the most recent Spicediver release.
I stand corrected. You are of course right.

Galahaddulac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
But tbh maybe he updated it? because the quality very good (for a 480p upscale).

Landstander

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow
You made Thedigitalbits!

Yeah, they like stealing fanedits to release on BD since they hold the rights and the faneditors don't.
Speaking of, with YouTube blocking in my country is there an alternative (or a recommended country to come from with a VPN service)?

Btw, I believe Fanfiltration's edit also pre-deted Spicediver's, but that doesn't take away how well SD's version is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom