• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Dumb and Dumber To - The Sufisticated Edition

ebumms

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello Fan Editors and Fans of Fan Edits! This is my first forum post of any form...ever. I know there is a fairly strict etiquette to follow and I hope I don't break any rules. With that disclaimer out of the way I'll tell you about my first fan edit...

Ever since I saw the original Dumb and Dumber at a drive-in theater in the mid-90's, it has been my favorite movie. I had to specify "original" because there is also an Unrated Director's Cut...and that is not my favorite movie. The Director's Cut revealed to me just how brilliantly the original was edited and proved that the inclusion of just a few scenes can disrupt the flow, taint the perception of a character, and even ruin an entire movie.

When I heard they were going to make a sequel 20 years later I was worried that it would be more in line with the Director's Cut but I was wrong. It was worse. Lloyd and Harry were so juvenile, vulgar, and mean-spirited that they were virtually unlikable. I decided to edit out the elements I felt weren't in line with the original in attempt to make it watchable for people that may have been turned off by the same things I was.

xenypq

Here is a list of some of the edits I made...

1. Removed Harry: "And even if it had worked out would you really want ginger babies? Gross."

2. Removed entire harassing Billy in 4C scene

3. Removed cat licking meth and swinging from light

4. Removed Harry's dad talking about Harry's obsession with peanut butter and Lloyd making fun of Harry's mom

5. Removed all of Lloyd's "James Bond" ticks

6. Removed bike on front of bus scene and "second most annoying sound in the world" line

7. Removed Harry and Lloyd punching each other in the nuts

8. Added lottery ticket scene extension

9. Removed toe sucking scene

10. Removed half of Lloyd talking to his "dead dad"

11. Removed He Who Smelt It and King of the car/fart scenes

12. Removed Lloyd's snot bubble

13. Removed Lloyd fingering granny scene

14. Mutt Cutts crash

15. Removed "Stinkaroo" scene

16. Removed Lloyd and Harry yelling "Nerd, nerd, nerd..." and "Show us your tits!"

17. Removed Harry's peanut butter memory

DS-61-5-

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm looking forward to seeing this. Dumb and Dumber To was much better than it had to be--my younger brother similarly has an idolatrous love of it and went out of duty, and I went with him. We were both surprised how much we liked it, but disappointed that it had some gags that didn't work at all. I was very much wishing for someone to pull out a few of the unfunny and dumb gross-out-gags, which it appears you've done. I do wish you'd left the Mutt Cuts scene in (and if it's not final, would invite you to reconsider/deliberate further), but otherwise this looks terrific--exactly what I wanted with this movie, and I can't wait to show him your handiwork whenever it's finished.

ebumms

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All right! Hope you like what I've done. I do thank you for your suggestion on the Mutt Cutts crash...and I did just sit here for a while contemplating further but alas, I like the edit. If, after you see it, you think it just has to be there I'll put up a version that has it. :)

ebumms

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a sample that includes edit 6 and 7.

Original:

[video=youtube_share;rlcj7bCMjgA]

Edit:

[video=youtube_share;fjzYSeykf-U]

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I quite liked the jokes you cut but the removals are seemless and the new edits have great comedy timing, good job!

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^What he said, but slightly different.

DS-61-5-

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought this clip was perfect; unlike the other posters I was not a fan of the jokes you cut, so this is just what I was hoping for. My brother and I will miss Mutt Cutts (he was especially sad to hear it was going, unless you put up two versions!) but it'd be a small price to pay for the rest of this terrific work. We'll definitely have to give it a viewing when I go back home in December.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit is approved! :)

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

The brilliantly titled 'Sufisticated Edition' is a great fanfix, removing all the crass/mean-spirited humour from the movie and just leaving a good natured, well plotted, more subtle and hilarious movie (I was laughing really hard throughout). The pacing also flys along now it's cut down to 90 minutes. There is almost 20 minutes cut but the plot isn't affected one bit and all the edits are not only smooth but actually create new jokes.

A "textbook" first fanedit.

59212457.jpg

sgp1428

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ High praise indeed :) Congratulations.......... Looking forward to checking this out.:thumb:

ebumms

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
This edit is approved! :)

The brilliantly titled 'Sufisticated Edition' is a great fanfix, removing all the crass/mean-spirited humour from the movie and just leaving a good natured, well plotted, more subtle and hilarious movie (I was laughing really hard throughout). The pacing also flys along now it's cut down to 90 minutes. There is almost 20 minutes cut but the plot isn't affected one bit and all the edits are not only smooth but actually create new jokes.

YAY!!! Thank you very much TM2YC! :) I'm so happy to hear that my edit seems to have achieved its goal of making Lloyd and Harry likable again. I'm working on the info needed for the database now.

ebumms

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also,thanks sgp1428 and thecuddlyninja! Hope you like it!

cubbyguy1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is great! I really like the joke about mispronouncing the words but it needs to be sacrificed for the greater good. I really want to see the entire edit. :)

ebumms

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, so I decided to update this fanedit a little. There are five bits I restored to the movie but they total less than a minute of runtime.

1. Lloyd: "I wanna see if my lizard's still spittin' straight." (meh, take it or leave it so I decided to leave it)
2. "Tea?" Lloyd: "...we're straight" (I was just being hyper sensitive when I cut this...the delivery is impeccable)
3. Harry: "Let's get ripped" (again, shouldn't have been cut. It's hilarious and totally in line with original)
4. Harry: "Hey Sugar Tits..." (not sure what I was thinking when I cut this)
5. Harry: "There's ball hairs all over that thing" (I don't love this line but it's not so terrible...I remember my friend laughing really hard at this when we saw it in the theater so I kinda miss it every time I watch my edit)

ebumms

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since I updated this edit I went ahead and included 4 more deleted scenes to extend the runtime by 3 minutes.

1. Extended roommate scene (I only added the part where Harry says he's not allowed to try Ice Pick's "rock candy". I cut out his line about someone trading a stereo and their sister for it. He goes on to say it was a pretty nice stereo...the joke being that the sister wasn't as nice...as if he's totally oblivious that a human isn't property to be traded. Is it dumb? yes. Is it funny? not so much. It went against my intentions of having the main characters be good natured.)

2. Extended Lloyd's plan for finding a kidney (nice little extension where Lloyd takes a deep breath and launches into a run on sentence about finding a health care plan. I suppose it was cut to make the plan more concise for the audience. With the extended line it makes his "simple" at the end a better punchline.)

3. Extended Penny introduction (Dr. Pinchelow explains to Adele that he wishes he could go to the KEN conference while Penny falls down a long flight of stairs. It's obviously a stunt double and it's a cheap laugh but a laugh nonetheless.)

4. Google chairman can't get into KEN conference (when I first saw this scene I cringed at the bad acting but with a slight trim it isn't so bad.)

I also cleaned up several audio edits from my first version as well as extending a few cuts to include lines that weren't as much of the problem. Alas, the definitive Sufisticated Edition of Dumb and Dumber To is done.

Top Bottom