• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Dual audio AC3 and DTS problem

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm trying to make a DVD with dual dolby digital and DTS audio. I have buttons set up to choose which track to play and all appears fine. When I compile the DVD the ac3 in track 1 plays fine but if I select DTS from track 2 it is silent.

The .dts file plays fine in foobar and powerDVD, so I know the file is good.

Any ideas?

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can Labpro work with DTS? Out of curiosity, what did you encode the DTS with? Also, what settings did you encode it at? That could be your problem as well. DVD spec only allows for 2 DTS bitrates.

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The help section of DVDLab says it can do dts and the file imports ok. The file is encoded with DTS Master Audio Suite at 1509 kbps.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes; DVD Lab Pro can do DTS. I assume that you checked that the total bitrate for video and audio does not exceed 10080kbps (though I doubt that this is the cause) and that your player/amp can decode DTS. Obviously, if you want your player to decode the audio it should be set to PCM, and if you want amp to decode it, it should be set to bitstream. If you're connecting via TOSLINK, it might be that some systems cannot DTS over handle that.

I also assume that you double checked that you did not forget to add a connection to the DTS menu button. Can you select the audio track with the remote?

Sorry if this seems obvious. :)

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cheers for the response, I believe I have found the cause. It looks like the bitrate of the audio isn't DVD compliant, its 1509 and not 1536, which would explain why it plays fine on it's own but produces no sound when compiled in the DVD.

The encoder I used is for DTS-MA, but has a DTS option, it's just a shame that the bitrates it offers are only to make bluray compliant streams.

It's a real pain that to do an edit on bluray and DVD with DTS audio for both requires 2 separate encoders to have all the options you need.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, it might be the actual bitrate vs targeted bitrate then.

Doom9's DTS FAQ (section 8)

The .pdf is useful.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well now I am more confused because 1509 is what you should be using for dvd, assuming you have the space. Alternatively, 754 is acceptable. But it sounds like you are using Surecode, which can be a little wacky. It says 1536 but actually winds up being something like 1509 or 1510.

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welll I managed to get it working with Surcode. It encodes to 1536, but reads as 1509 in the info box of powerdvd. Whereas before I encoded to 1509 with DTS Master Audio suite, and it read at 1509 and didn't work.

I read that when a stream is encoded at 1536 it is padded, I guess the extra padding its what makes it DVD complaiant, and for bluray purposes the padding is unecessary. So yeah, as previously posted, to encode DTS for a project in DVD and bluray formats, you need 2 separate encoders, or one that can encode at 1536 and 1509 that I'm presently unaware of.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
booshman said:
Welll I managed to get it working with Surcode. It encodes to 1536, but reads as 1509 in the info box of powerdvd. Whereas before I encoded to 1509 with DTS Master Audio suite, and it read at 1509 and didn't work.

I read that when a stream is encoded at 1536 it is padded, I guess the extra padding its what makes it DVD complaiant, and for bluray purposes the padding is unecessary. So yeah, as previously posted, to encode DTS for a project in DVD and bluray formats, you need 2 separate encoders, or one that can encode at 1536 and 1509 that I'm presently unaware of.

Not true. You don't need the padded file at all. It is a total waste for what you are doing and defeats the purpose of DTS compression because the file winds up being the same size as the PCM file you used to encode with. This is just surecode wackiness. What you need to do is encode with their compact (.cpt) format (which is not padded) at 1536 kbps. Then just change the cpt extension on your file to dts. It will be fully DVD compliant and compressed at 1509 kbps. Should work like a charm for you.

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gave it a go and encoding the file to cpt at 1509 worked. The file was only 27mb smaller than the .dts encoded at 1536, but it's good to know these things. Just makes me wonder why the 1509 .dts file I encoded with DTS Master Audio Suite came out silent when I compiled my DVD, very odd.

Top Bottom