• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

DTS to .wav?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, but it takes 30-60min to import the audio for me, plus another 30ish minutes to save the audio.

Silver Screen Samurai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Highlight them all and Ctl-L.

I've never bumped into the 4GB limit, even on long films the the third LOTR film (extended). I simply import the M2TS file in Audacity and export each track as a mono WAV. Import those into Premiere and done. Just make sure you have ffmpeg installed and linked to in Audacity.
Yes, and I'd like to add an important observation to that.
Just as it's important to change them into six mono .WAV files before editing, it's also important to change them back to one DTS file after editing.

I see a lot of editors either entirely skip this step or do it incorrectly, where instead of correctly panning the L/R and LS/RS tracks they simply export it as 6 Mono tracks coming out the same center channel; essentially mono audio as opposed to surround sound. Or even worse, they don't set up a 5.1 Bus before exporting, meaning they're actually exporting in Stereo without realizing it's done incorrectly at all.

I also see a lot of editors do it CORRECTLY, just to be clear, I just see enough editors do it wrong that I think it needs to be pointed out.

Top Bottom