• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

DTS to .wav?

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So far I've used DVDFab to convert the DTS audio from my copied Blu-Rays to lossless wav files, but recently it's been pissing me off because it's not converting the full movie and stops at about 2 hours and 4 minutes (specifically for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, both the theatrical AND extended versions end at 2h4m). I've had similar problems with Amazing Spider-Man 2 recently, having to separately convert the rest of the movie.

I've felt like using DVDFab was a half measure before anyway but it's mostly worked for me in the past before these issues since it gave me the lossles WAV files I wanted. Now I feel like I need to find a more reliable solution.

Is there a good audio program that I can use to convert the audio in .m2ts files into .wav? I saw @Q2 talk about it saying he imports the file to Audacity and exports them as mono files, but A) I find working with multiple audio tracks tedious and I like working with the single 5.1 tracks in Premiere, and 2) I tried his method with Audition and Audacity--Audition crashed my computer while with Audacity I couldn't figure out how to import it properly with the right settings and the imported file sounds like pure distortion.

Can you guys help? Don't know what to do here.

Standard WAVs have a max limit of about 4gb so that’s probably the issue you’re running into. try to see if you can convert to w64 wavs

Now I know it’s not what exactly you’re asking for but I do use the audacity method, and even though it splits it into individual files you can still work with it as if it’s one 5.1 bundled track. If you want to give it another shot see my tutorial for doing this in Premiere
go to around 12 minutes to see what it looks like on my end if that’s what you’re aiming for, otherwise, good luck and I bet someone else has had this issue before - hopefully you can get around the 4gb thing.

I find working with multiple audio tracks tedious and I like working with the single 5.1 tracks in Premiere
Is there not a way to group the files so your edits apply to all tracks? I know in vegas it's simply highlighting the tracks and pressing "g" to group them. You can then skinny up the vertical space the track takes up until needing to do individualized work on a separate channel. Having individual tracks is a must for me as it allows for audio edits that otherwise would not be achievable due to every track being smashed into one audio track on the timeline.

I usually just export two WAVs (tracks 1-3 and 4-6) due to the 4gb limit. There's probably a better way of doing it.
And then group in Vegas, ungroup to work on a specific track.

Is there not a way to group the files so your edits apply to all tracks?
Highlight them all and Ctl-L.

I've never bumped into the 4GB limit, even on long films the the third LOTR film (extended). I simply import the M2TS file in Audacity and export each track as a mono WAV. Import those into Premiere and done. Just make sure you have ffmpeg installed and linked to in Audacity.

Having individual tracks is a must for me as it allows for audio edits that otherwise would not be achievable due to every track being smashed into one audio track on the timeline.
May be the case on Vegas but on Premiere you can still adjust individual channel volume with key frames. Might sound like a nightmare but it’s what I’ve gotten used to

To be fair Premiere has a lot of "ways" to handle audio, three people could have identical output and completely different workflow not even touching the same parts.

Reactions: Q2
To be fair Premiere has a lot of "ways" to handle audio, three people could have identical output and completely different workflow not even touching the same parts.
Yeah for example I’ve used Audition in conjunction with Premiere for the transitions that require me adjusting all the audio tracks. But maybe this new method might make using Audition unnecessary.

@Q2 Do you import the M2TS as a raw file? What settings do you use when importing?

Yes. Just File/Open and select the M2TS file. It puts each channel on a separate track and then I export those to individual WAV.
Just a heads up, this is a pretty long process (hour+ usually).

If your source is lossless 24-bit DTS of a lengthy movie, you can indeed hit that 4GB limit for WAV files. In that case, if you prefer to have all channels in one file, save as FLAC. It's also lossless and nearly half the filesize of WAV.
(I always use Audacity to convert DTS audio.)

If your source is lossless 24-bit DTS of a lengthy movie, you can indeed hit that 4GB limit for WAV files. In that case, if you prefer to have all channels in one file, save as FLAC. It's also lossless and nearly half the filesize of WAV.
(I always use Audacity to convert DTS audio.)
Unfortunately Premiere doesn't recognize FLAC iirc

Yes. Just File/Open and select the M2TS file. It puts each channel on a separate track and then I export those to individual WAV.
It's giving me an error and tells me to install FFMpeg even though I already did. What should I do?

EDIT: FYI I already wrote "ffmpeg" in cmd to have it installed and restarted but Audacity is giving me the same error.

By the way, if the source is 7.1 and I'm working with 8 mono files, how do I export the movie in 7.1, or if I can't how do I properly convert it to 5.1? Will simply picking the 5.1 option before exporting be enough?

Last edited:
You must have a Ferrari, or I'm putting along in geo metro over here 😅
You're using the bulk export or whatever audacity calls it right? Where it automatically just outputs each track into its own file instead of having to manually do it?

Back
Top Bottom