• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

DTS-HD Preservation

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Concatenate is familiar to anyone who's had to use Excel text formulas! Although it can be replaced with the & (ampersand) symbol, which is easier. :)
Didn't know the Latin origin, though. Cool!

JackReacher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi Captain

I have two transfers of the same film. The one has more opening titles than the other. I want to mux the one's audio to the video of the other's but obviously they're out of sync since the one starts later than the other. 

What would be the best way of calculating this delay? I know you can do it trial and error by ear and just fine tune the audio delay, but is there no exact method?

I'd really appreciate your help, thanks.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stack them.  Find the first shot-change within the film proper, record the frame-numbers (pertaining to the stacked video) at which this occurs in both transfers, and subtract one from the other to calculate the delay.  That's one way.

Bear in mind that more than an initial delay might be required and that best is subjective.  In future, use the @+username function when addressing questions specifically to me: I rarely read through threads these days and clicked on this one only because I remembered posting in it.

JackReacher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@Captain Khajiit

Thanks a lot! I did exactly what you did, finding exact frame difference and it worked.

JackReacher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@Captain Khajiit

Hi there, I hope you're well. I want to edit specific frames of a video and then render the image sequence with x264. The only issue is that when using ffmpeg as an external encoder on virtualdub, the colors are not set to bt709.

My current workflow is as follows: I export an image sequence as RGB 888 using VirtualDub. I import to Photoshop and then edit them and export once again to RGB. I open the edited image sequence in virtualdub and then export using external encoder to ffmpeg x264. Is there an encoding setting that can convert the colors or should I not use virtualdub to render the image sequence? Can avisynth render an image sequence?

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

JackReacher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@Captain Khajiit

Hi there. This is a bit off topic since it does not relate to audio. Which AviSynth filter would you recommend for a grain plate? I want to add grain to a webstream that will match that of the BD, is there one that can sort of match it or extract grain? Or is what I'm saying impossible or counter intuitive?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For grain, FilmConvert is reputedly the best, but this is an AviSynth-based solution.   And this is decidedly off topic, so it would be better to start a new thread.  (I've rarely had need to regrain though, so I can't provide more than general pointers.)

JackReacher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@Captain Khajiit

Hi there. I have a PAL DVD that I would like to sort of use as a source for a project. The BD of the film is 23.976 fps. What would be the best way to match the PAL DVD audio?

Do I just use eac3to audio.ac3 output.ac3 -slowdown? Would the conversion be lossy? Do you think it's better if I converted to wavs and then to lossless DTS you know, in terms of preservation. Also how would I know if pitch correction is necessary or does eac3to take care of that?

With regards to the video, do I just use AssumeFPS(24000,1001) to slow it down? 

Thanks!

Top Bottom