• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

DRM Issues

^this *or that since it's on the previous page....

You can make a 1:1 copy that is uncompressed very easily in DVDshrink.

hbenthow said:
I think that you misunderstand the program and the nature of DVD video. If you set DVD Shrink to DVD9 output, there will be no compression applied. In settings smaller than DVD9, it applies compression to shrink the file size (provided that the file size of the DVD is larger than the selected target size), which does lessen video quality, but doesn't change the aspect ratio or distort the image. A lot of the time, DVD images are anamorphic (because the DVD format doesn't support true widescreen video - 16:9 images have to be converted to 4:3), which means that they are already "squished" on the disc and depend on software to "unsquish" them during playback. Sometimes, ripping the disc (such as with DVD Shrink) causes the resulting file on your hard drive to play "squished" rather than signaling your software to adjust the aspect ratio. This is not a problem if you simply set your video playback or editing software to adjust the aspect ratio to what it needs to be.

Also keep in mind that there is an option within DVD Shrink to either split the video files into 1 GB chunks or leave them in one piece. If you are ripping a disc in order to make a fanedit, always uncheck the setting to split the files.

Ah, OK. Thank you for the explanation.

In the conversation in my Narnia thread, the poster I was talking to (who was genuinely trying to help) asked me why I would ever use something called DVD Shrink and not expect it to shrink the image. I felt like such an idiot after that, I haven't been able to try anything for a year now. 

After reading your explanation, I feel less like an idiot, even though/because it shows that the situation is far more complex than I understood. I never knew that movies had to be squished by the DVDs and then stretched to the right format by the playback software, for instance.

So either the poster didn't fully understand the situation either, or we weren't communicating about what the issue was.

I always uncheck to split the files, but I don't recall seeing a setting for DVD9 output. I'll look into that.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom