• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

    Vote NOW for January FEOTM!

DRM Issues

Zarius

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
6,972
Reaction score
832
Trophy Points
153
I've had difficulty ripping two Spider-Man movies, one of them stopped processing at around 8%, the other ripped succesfully but was out of synch. @"addiesin" suggested that it could be due to specific DRMs Sony had included on the discs. Any way around this problem?
 

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Messages
8,422
Reaction score
3,230
Trophy Points
168
What specific spiderman movies?
 

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
33
Trophy Points
133
Also, please be specific about which versions of the discs you own, and the software that you are using to attempt to rip the discs.
 

Zarius

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
6,972
Reaction score
832
Trophy Points
153
Spider-Man 1 and 3 were the movies, region 2, DVD-PAL, and the ripper  is AVC (Any Video Converter)
 

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Messages
8,422
Reaction score
3,230
Trophy Points
168
What program is it out of sync on?
 

Zarius

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
6,972
Reaction score
832
Trophy Points
153
ThrowgnCpr said:
I have no familiarity with AVC. Try the latest version of HD Decrypter and see if you have the same problems: https://www.dvdfab.cn/free.htm

That worked much better. I used the trial version to be on the safe side so I wound up with a watermark, but I'll fork out the money for this.

DigModiFicaTion said:
What program is it out of sync on?

Just the standard media player I use.
 

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
33
Trophy Points
133
Zarius said:
ThrowgnCpr said:
I have no familiarity with AVC. Try the latest version of HD Decrypter and see if you have the same problems: https://www.dvdfab.cn/free.htm

That worked much better. I used the trial version to be on the safe side so I wound up with a watermark, but I'll fork out the money for this.

HD Decrypter is the free version. If you installed the "DVDFab DVD Copy and Blu-ray Copy" version, then that is pay and there will be a watermark. For simply copying the disc folders to your PC and stripping copy protection, the free Decrypter version is more than sufficient.
 

Zarius

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
6,972
Reaction score
832
Trophy Points
153
I'm pretty sure I did download the encryptor the first time but it just kept taking me to the trial version, which then expired after I ripped the films, which got me the watermark. What am I doing wrong?
 

Zarius

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
6,972
Reaction score
832
Trophy Points
153
I did download the HD Decryptor, but it just kept directing me to trial mode on DVDFAB
 

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
33
Trophy Points
133
Zarius said:
I did download the HD Decryptor, but it just kept directing me to trial mode on DVDFAB

yes, that is unfortunately how the stupid installer works, but if you use the copy feature (not ripper, converter, etc), that will work as Decrypter without the watermark.  This will copy the disc folders to your HDD without DRM. You will need to use another tool to extract the streams of your movie. A slightly outdated, but still relevant set of instructions on this is available in my guide.

I wish they would just have a standalone Decrypter version.
 

Zarius

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
6,972
Reaction score
832
Trophy Points
153
I had a hunch about the copy feature, but wasn't sure. Thanks, I'll give it a comb over.
 

hbenthow

Well-known member
Messages
1,580
Reaction score
154
Trophy Points
68
You might also want to try out some other free options.

DVD Shrink copies and rips a lot of older DVDs without any need for extra decryption.

There's also an excellent frequently-updated DVD/Blu-ray ripping program called MakeMKV that's free as long as it's in its beta phase (which it has been for years). The only catch is that its license codes expire after a set amount of time (you are allowed to get a new license code each time in order to keep using it, but it can be a bit of a hassle), unless you pay a one-time fee for a permanent code.
 

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
33
Trophy Points
133
^ good suggestions, but since he is having DRM issues with specific, fairly recent DVDs, DVD Shrink probably won't be much help.

AnyDVD is another effective option, but that is also pay (and not very cheap...).
 

hbenthow

Well-known member
Messages
1,580
Reaction score
154
Trophy Points
68
ThrowgnCpr said:
^ good suggestions, but since he is having DRM issues with specific, fairly recent DVDs, DVD Shrink probably won't be much help.

Unless he has a new remaster that I'm not aware of, the DVDs of the first and third Spider-Man movies aren't all that recent. Those discs were probably mastered over a decade ago.
 

Q2

Well-known member
Staff member
Faneditor
Messages
7,948
Reaction score
1,206
Trophy Points
163
MakeMKV can also rip and decrypt directly to your drive with no conversion. Just use the Backup option.
 

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
33
Trophy Points
133
hbenthow said:
Unless he has a new remaster that I'm not aware of, the DVDs of the first and third Spider-Man movies aren't all that recent. Those discs were probably mastered over a decade ago.

Good point. It's worth a shot anyway. It's always good to have extra tools in your arsenal.
 

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Messages
8,422
Reaction score
3,230
Trophy Points
168
For DVDs you really shouldn't run into DRM issues anymore. I use dvdshrink and dvd deceyptor. Both are free on videohelp. DVD Shrink allows you to rip as a single Vob file as well.
 

TomH1138

Well-known member
Messages
2,819
Reaction score
42
Trophy Points
53
A note on DVD Shrink: I used it all the time, in spite of people here saying it wasn't a good option, just because the interface was so user-friendly. But I found out last year, when talking with someone over my long-in-gestation Narnia edit, that the constant image squishing problem I had run into was because of that program. The poster pointed out that it's right in the name -- DVD Shrink -- which I assumed meant that it would create a smaller file size, not that it would actually shrink the image. Who would possibly consider that a good feature?

Since then, I haven't used DVD Shrink and I don't recommend it for others. When I finally feel like I can start the Narnia edit from scratch yet again, I'm going to use the ripping software built into my editing program and hope for the best.

Anyway, it sounds like others have suggested some really good options here.
 

hbenthow

Well-known member
Messages
1,580
Reaction score
154
Trophy Points
68
TomH1138 said:
A note on DVD Shrink: I used it all the time, in spite of people here saying it wasn't a good option, just because the interface was so user-friendly. But I found out last year, when talking with someone over my long-in-gestation Narnia edit, that the constant image squishing problem I had run into was because of that program. The poster pointed out that it's right in the name -- DVD Shrink -- which I assumed meant that it would create a smaller file size, not that it would actually shrink the image. Who would possibly consider that a good feature?

Since then, I haven't used DVD Shrink and I don't recommend it for others. When I finally feel like I can start the Narnia edit from scratch yet again, I'm going to use the ripping software built into my editing program and hope for the best.

Anyway, it sounds like others have suggested some really good options here.

I think that you misunderstand the program and the nature of DVD video. If you set DVD Shrink to DVD9 output, there will be no compression applied. In settings smaller than DVD9, it applies compression to shrink the file size (provided that the file size of the DVD is larger than the selected target size), which does lessen video quality, but doesn't change the aspect ratio or distort the image. A lot of the time, DVD images are anamorphic (because the DVD format doesn't support true widescreen video - 16:9 images have to be converted to 4:3), which means that they are already "squished" on the disc and depend on software to "unsquish" them during playback. Sometimes, ripping the disc (such as with DVD Shrink) causes the resulting file on your hard drive to play "squished" rather than signaling your software to adjust the aspect ratio. This is not a problem if you simply set your video playback or editing software to adjust the aspect ratio to what it needs to be.

Also keep in mind that there is an option within DVD Shrink to either split the video files into 1 GB chunks or leave them in one piece. If you are ripping a disc in order to make a fanedit, always uncheck the setting to split the files.
 
Top Bottom