• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Driver - A fanedit of Drive (2011) - HD update now available

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Second draft now available

My first project as a newly minted faneditor is a mash up of Drive (2011) and La la land (2016).

The aim of the project is further explore the character of 'Driver' by providing some insight into his motivations through dream sequences and flashbacks. I have a working draft of the film which features one flashback and four dreams adding roughly 5 minutes to the overall runtime. I will provide a detailed cut list soon but for now please take a look at these samples. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Current to do list:
  • Experiment with regrading the dream sequences
  • Experiment with rescoring certain scenes
  • Add nitrate film burn to second dream sequence
  • Create artwork
  • Write formal cut list

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:
My first project as a newly minted faneditor is a mash up of Drive (2011) and La la land (2016).

The aim of the project is further explore the character of 'Driver' by providing some insight into his motivations through dream sequences and flashbacks. I have a working draft of the film which features one flashback and four dreams adding roughly 5 minutes to the overall runtime. I will provide a detailed cut list soon but for now please take a look at these samples. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

The first draft is available on request.

Current to do list:
  • Create artwork
  • Write formal cut list

Cool....and your using all the footage i left on the cutting room floor. :)
La La Land No Dancing

Try and get a Neon Seb's sign in some of the night scenes.

8l3RsxmZ_400x400.jpg

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last Impressions said:

That would be a neat Easter egg. As it stands the new sequences introduce the narrative that Driver is recovering from a break up and latches onto Irene as he sees in her the life he dreamed of having with Mia. I was toying with the idea of including Seb's as an epilogue but part of me feels less is more.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:
Last Impressions said:

That would be a neat Easter egg. As it stands the new sequences introduce the narrative that Driver is recovering from a break up and latches onto Irene as he sees in her the life he dreamed of having with Mia. I was toying with the idea of including Seb's as an epilogue but part of me feels less is more.
I'm pretty snowed under with my Ad Astra edit at the moment but as soon as i get a moment i will re-watch Drive as i just purchased the Zane Lowe rescore version that was on the BBC a few years back. I had the old TM2YC preservation on disc but this is a nice little upgrade on Bluray. I'll then have a quick glance at yours and maybe i can come up with a few suggestions...Maybe a bit of footage from 'Only God Forgives' could be utilised. I think you should make it a bit David Lynchian...have you ever seen this trailer....it is top notch

If David Lynch directed La La Land

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last Impressions said:
I'm pretty snowed under with my Ad Astra edit at the moment but as soon as i get a moment i will re-watch Drive as i just purchased the Zane Lowe rescore version that was on the BBC a few years back. I had the old TM2YC preservation on disc but this is a nice little upgrade on Bluray. I'll then have a quick glance at yours and maybe i can come up with a few suggestions...Maybe a bit of footage from 'Only God Forgives' could be utilised. I think you should make it a bit David Lynchian...have you ever seen this trailer....it is top notch
I6MWIz8.gif

Thank you and thanks for sharing that video, it's fantastic!

David Lynch was always a favorite of mine growing up and his style is definitely something I would like to play around with as my confidence grows. I have not watched 'Only God Forgives' yet, in fact I only found out it was by Nicolas Winding Refn this weekend. I've added it to my wish list now though! For this edit I wish to keep things more straight forward. The aim is to embellish the Driver's narrative but you've got me thinking...

Perhaps I'll do another Drive edit in the style of a Lynchian nightmare and call it:

Mulholland drive

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:
Last Impressions said:
I6MWIz8.gif

Thank you and thanks for sharing that video, it's fantastic!

David Lynch was always a favorite of mine growing up and his style is definitely something I would like to play around with as my confidence grows. I have not watched 'Only God Forgives' yet, in fact I only found out it was by Nicolas Winding Refn this weekend. I've added it to my wish list now though! For this edit I wish to keep things more straight forward. The aim is to embellish the Driver's narrative but you've got me thinking...

Perhaps I'll do another Drive edit in the style of a Lynchian nightmare and call it:

Mulholland drive

David Lynch is the master - back in 1986 with the release of Blue Velvet he took my love of film to the next level. I adore Lost Highway...but funny enough one of my favourite films of all time is the Straight Story...which is not very Lynchian by Lynchian standards

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last Impressions said:
David Lynch is the master - back in 1986 with the release of Blue Velvet he took my love of film to the next level. I adore Lost Highway...but funny enough one of my favourite films of all time is the Straight Story...which is not very Lynchian by Lynchian standards

I first discovered him via Dune and was shocked when I watched his other films at how inventive they were and how restrained he had been with Dune. Straight Story is a gem. Besides Lynch the Cohen Brothers, Besson and Carpenter are probably my biggest cinema idols which explains why I love Drive so much. A twisted love story with electronic music coursing through its veins and blood on its hands.

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:

The first draft is available on request.

Current to do list:
  • Create artwork
  • Write formal cut list
These cuts are really smart, especially the last clip with the phone ringing.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i watched the first couple of minutes but stopped it when it started getting into the Drive footage as i wanted to watch the film again this weekend.

For consistency i would use the Drive font called MISTRAL and add Damien Chazelle to the opening credits....just a thought.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Heavysyde said:

Thank you, I was rather pleased with that one. I've sent you the first draft, I look forward to hearing what you think.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing your Drive beyond the Pines edit. It'll be interesting to see how you trim the film down as I noticed it uses a lot of fade transitions, usually with music over the top. I think it might be a tricky task to remove some scenes.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last Impressions said:
i watched the first couple of minutes but stopped it when it started getting into the Drive footage as i wanted to watch the film again this weekend.

For consistency i would use the Drive font called MISTRAL and add Damien Chazelle to the opening credits....just a thought.

Funny you mention that. I actually used MISTRAL originally but it uses an oddly shaped r which made the word Driver look more like Drives. In an attempt to retain the font I tested various names like Drive to La La Land and other similarly terrible ideas. But you're right, the aesthetic is more important than legibility.

You're absolutely right about the credits that's something that will be done. I also need to add Emma Stone too. I will be using MISTRAL to do that.

Thanks for the feedback

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:
Last Impressions said:

Funny you mention that. I actually used MISTRAL originally but it uses an oddly shaped r which made the word Driver look more like Drives. In an attempt to retain the font I tested various names like Drive to La La Land and other similarly terrible ideas. But you're right, the aesthetic is more important than legibility.

You're absolutely right about the credits that's something that will be done. I also need to add Emma Stone too. I will be using MISTRAL to do that.

Thanks for the feedback

Just call it "The Chauffeur" and be done with it

roll opening credits - then straight into this tune...perfect with the rest of the soundtrack and one of the best songs ever written.
Warning : THE ATTACHED VIDEO IS A BIT RACY no pun intended : during the pre-internet days i used to watch this constantly with "Robert Palmer's Addicted to Love" before i moved onto my Mum's catalogue  :D

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last Impressions said:

Haha believe it or not one of the aforementioned terrible titles was 'La Chauffeur' since there is a lot of references to Paris La La Land but it didn't fit since none of those scenes are in my edit. I love the aesthetic in the Addicted to Love video, absolute classic.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:
Last Impressions said:

Haha believe it or not one of the aforementioned terrible titles was 'La Chauffeur' since there is a lot of references to Paris La La Land but it didn't fit since none of those scenes are in my edit. I love the aesthetic in the Addicted to Love video, absolute classic.

Not a terrible title at all i like it..."LA CHAUFFEUR" is perfect or maybe even "LA LA CHAUFFEUR" try to squeeze in some of the Paris references.

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:
Heavysyde said:

Thank you, I was rather pleased with that one. I've sent you the first draft, I look forward to hearing what you think.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing your Drive beyond the Pines edit. It'll be interesting to see how you trim the film down as I noticed it uses a lot of fade transitions, usually with music over the top. I think it might be a tricky task to remove some scenes.

Great job on the first draft, I've sent you a PM with my comments on it. After watching that, you've motivated me to make the Drive/TPBTP edit. Drive is a very unique film.
I did notice some fades, but I don't think the editing will be too hard since I can just cut the video before the fades begin and keep the audio rolling.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I knocked up a couple poster concepts

CA0p8X1.jpg

5YSHPq0.jpg

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm struggling to source a good quality 2.35:1 ratio nitrate film burn.

There are plenty of footage packs that look great but are rather pricey considering I only need a few seconds of film.

Any suggestions of films which feature similar footage would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got myself a grindhouse pack a few years ago. You're welcome to it. I'll PM you about it when I've got a chance.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I got myself a grindhouse pack a few years ago. You're welcome to it. I'll PM you about it when I've got a chance.

Thank you @"TM2YC" that's really generous of you.

Top Bottom