• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Drive: Radio 1 Rescores (Alternate Soundtrack Preservation)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DRIVE: Radio 1 Rescores

15726046751_bc2e3fe31e_o.jpg

Faneditor Name: TM2YC
Tagline: Different songs, same route.
Original Movie Title: Drive
Genre: Action / Drama / Thriller
Fanedit Type: Movie and Television Preservations

Original Release Date: 2011
Original Running Time: 96
Fanedit Release Date: November 2014
Fanedit Running Time: 94
Time Cut: 3
Time Added: 1
Available in HD? Yes

Brief Synopsis:
On 30th October 2014 BBC3 screened a new version of Nicholas Winding Refn's 2011 film 'Drive' with an all-new score of original music. It was curated by Radio 1 DJ Zane Lowe with the full co-operation of the Director. So it's one of those rare "Official Fanedits".

Zane Lowe has insisted that it's not meant to be an improvement on the original, only an alternate take while Refn has stated "You can't own creativity. Rather than say 'Drive' is mine, I'd prefer to say it's everyone else's". Good idea or not, it's a brave experiment, so Lowe and his pick of artists deserve points for having the bottle to even attempt this in the first place.

Intention:
To preserve this alternate 'Drive' soundtrack, as it was only available to stream for one-week-only and then only for UK viewers. I've aslo taken the opportunity to match the audio to a better image from the official Blu-Ray.

Special Thanks:
Thanks to Zane Lowe and all the artists involved for working on this cool project but most of all, thanks to Nicholas Winding Refn for allowing them to do it!

Also thanks to 'Signal Noise' (aka designer James White) for creating the sweet poster that I've based the cover on.

Release Information:
25fps 1280x536 MP4
25fps 720x576 PAL-DVD5 (Animated menus and chapter/song selection)

Both with dual audio-streams:

1. Radio 1 Rescores
2. Original Soundtrack (Pitch-shifted BBC version)

Editing Details:
- Extracted both audio streams
- Converted 23.976023fps Blu-Ray video to 25fps to match the streaming version
- Made a few trims
- Muxed all three together

Cuts and Additions:
- Added Fanedit intro
- Added Zane Lowe's introduction to the original screening
- Removed several studio logos from the Blu-Ray footage to match the streaming version
- Adjusted 'Icon' logo fade-length to match the streaming version
- Removed and recut ending credits to match the streaming version

New Soundtrack Running Order:
00.03.24 - Pryda - Sequence One
00.10.13 - CHVRCHES - Get Away
00.25.07 - The 1975 - Medicine
00.32.03 - Foals - Howl (Supermoon)
00.34.10 - The Neighbourhood - Pretty Boy
00.39.43 - SBTRKT - Untitled
00.50.00 - Bring Me The Horizon (Ft. Orifice Vulgatron) - Don't Look Down
00.54.10 - BANKS - Meditation Song
01.01.57 - Baauer - Hammer Time
01.08.48 - Laura Mvula - Mellow Man
01.10.45 - The Neighbourhood - Shannon
01.19.30 - Bastille - The Driver
01.22.46 - ZZC (aka Simon Neil) - Borganza
01.25.12 - ZZC (aka Simon Neil) - To The Bone
(Plus additional soundtrack arrangements throughout by Jon Hopkins)

(^ Click to see fullres cover)

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Release Information:
25fps 1280x536 mp4, with dual audio-streams:
1. Radio 1 Rescores
2. Original Soundtrack

Why did you include the original soundtrack? It looks like the official release with just an additional optional audio track added on.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adabisi said:
Why did you include the original soundtrack? It looks like the official release with just an additional optional audio track added on.

The BBC stream included it as a second option. So it's a preservation of that same presentation, just with a little better image quality. Plus it was a pitch-shifted version of the soundtrack, not the sped-up PAL version from the R2DVD.

sgp1428

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any plans to make a DVD5 version of this preservation? I only ask because this MP4 is listed as a NTSC DVD5 and not Digital on info, I guess this was just a selection error but was hoping maybe a DVD5 was forthcoming :)......Cheers

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sgp1428 said:
Any plans to make a DVD5 version of this preservation? I only ask because this MP4 is listed as a NTSC DVD5 and not Digital on info, I guess this was just a selection error but was hoping maybe a DVD5 was forthcoming :)......Cheers

Yeah that's an error, it would be PALDVD5 in any case. mp4 only so far. I really hate making DVDs but I make them for my own edits because people like them. Not sure I can be bothered for a preservation ;-) but I'll think about.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DVD5 rendering... I'm nothing if not indecisive :-D.

It's nothing fancy but I'm quite pleased with the menu backdrop look:

15114125274_30fbf03b60_o.jpg

sgp1428

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
DVD5 rendering... I'm nothing if not indecisive :-D.

It's nothing fancy but I'm quite pleased with the menu backdrop look:

15114125274_30fbf03b60_o.jpg

Nice backdrop.......Thanks for taking the time. For me a DVD works so much better as a companion piece to the original movie. I guess i'm a little old fashioned :-(

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Render finished, two of the navigation arrows didn't work properly. Rendering again. See this is why I hate it ;-)

sgp1428

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Render finished, two of the navigation arrows didn't work properly. Rendering again. See this is why I hate it ;-)

Just think how dull life would be if everything went to plan!!! :lol:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, it's out there and on IFDB, including a DVD5.

Hope all you non-Brits can now enjoy it as much as I have. It's not a better soundtrack than the original (How could it be) but it is a very nice extra way to watch this fantastic movie thanks to the kind efforts of the BBC and Nicholas Winding Refn.

FYI - I discovered earlier today (After a post by Gatos) that the BBC put out two versions of this (Probably in error). One with the titlecard unchanged and one with the "fanedit" title slapped over the top (Otherwise they were identical). This preservation has the title unchanged. A comparison...

15562406948_aae63c6ed4.jpg

I figure life is too short to redo this project just to change those 10 seconds. I know some people here prefer fanedits to not change onscreen titles, so for them it's a bonus I guess ;-).

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Considering this is primarily a preservation of the new soundtrack, I don't see a need to have that "Radio 1 Rescores" title card. You preserved the Radio 1 introduction, so that's enough (in my opinion).

sgp1428

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for taking the time to make a DVD5........:)

PacMan Pete

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched this last night, absolutely brilliant!!! I saw the second half on TV when it aired originally, really glad to have this version, big fan of Drive and the original dvd. Excellent that it has dual audio tracks on too, it's good to compare the music between the two as you watch, that's what I liked doing anyway. Many thanks and a great effort!!! :)

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
so the new score , is it availible by itself, like just to make a cd of it?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
so the new score , is it availible by itself, like just to make a cd of it?

Not as far as I'm aware. A couple of the bands have put the tracks out I think.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched this. It was an interesting experiment but the majority of it felt wrong to me. I did like the song they used for the opening heist scene, and Chrvches song for the opening credits sequence has been stuck in my head since I watched this preservation. Anyway, it's worth a watch just to see how much music choices can affect a film. Props to [MENTION=24292]TM2YC[/MENTION] for making this!

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just wanted to say I watched this tonight and enjoyed the hell out of it. Thanks to TM2YC for the Preserv!

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you so much for making this. Just watched it and really enjoyed it. Even the music that I didn't like was interesting. Fun, alternate way to view the film. Thank you for preserving it so well for those who couldn't watch it in the first place.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
Even the music that I didn't like was interesting.

I know what you mean. The new song in the scene where they drive through the sunshine in the rain gully isn't as good as what was originally there but it still totally works and on a different level. There are many times when films are rescored live as a one-time-only deal but sadly not too many that get released like this.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Yes, perfect example! I had no idea this was a thing. Typically in the UK? I thought this was a one-off. I'm going to have to look into finding more. You know I'm really into rescores. :)

Top Bottom