• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Dragon Ball Recut

TheMilkmanConspiracy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not too long ago, I went through and re-edited the entire original (pre-Z) Dragon Ball series, removing as much filler as I possibly could. In this case, "filler" meant anything that wasn't in the original comics. It's kind of like Kai, but of the first series.

I call it Dragon Ball Recut.

It is dual audio with priority given to the original Japanese track. By that I mean that I edited around the Japanese track first, and then edited the English track accordingly. I did so for a couple of reasons, the first of which is that the Japanese track is in mono, making it very difficult to manipulate in any significant way, so whatever edits I made had to accommodate the Japanese track first and foremost . The second reason is that I personally don't much care for the English dub as Funimation didn't dub it very accurately. For that reason, there may be a line inconsistency or two found on the English track due to Funimation constantly changing the dialog entirely from what it originally was supposed to be (if they hadn't done that so frequently, it wouldn't have been an issue). That said, I've received no complaints so far from people who have watched the English dub, so maybe I'm exaggerating a bit.

I used the Japanese Dragon Box for the video and Japanese audio, and the blue brick season sets from Funimation for the English track and English translated subtitles.

So I've removed as much filler as I possibly can. However, as I said before, given that the Japanese track is only available in mono, I had to work around that when editing. As a result, some filler could not be edited out due to the limitations of working with a mono audio track. This issue mainly comes into play whenever there is music playing, as that makes it incredibly difficult to cut anything out.

Episode lengths (and file sizes) vary, due to the nature of the editing process. I tried to keep the episodes around 24 minutes or so, but it was really a matter of finding a good ending point for each episode. For that reason, some episodes run for about 18 minutes while others can go for as long as 32 minutes. I tried not to go much longer than 30 minutes per episode, but sometimes it couldn't be helped.

Total Amount of Footage Cut:

I recently did some number crunching in order to give me a rough estimate of just how much footage I cut from the show, and here's what I came up with.

• Disregarding the OP and ED themes, eyecatchers, title cards, and NEPs, that leaves each episode BEFORE EDITING at about 20 minutes and 26 seconds of actual show time.
  • Multiply that number by 153 episodes total, and you're left with 52 hours, 6 minutes and 18 seconds.
  • My recut of the show (again disregarding OP, ED, eyecatchers, title cards, and NEPs) comes out to about 29 hours, 5 minutes and 3 seconds
  • That leaves us with a grand total of 23 hours, 1 minute and 15 seconds worth of actual show footage cut, all of which was filler in one way or another.

You'll notice that I still included the recaps in that estimate which isn't completely fair, but the reason I did so is because some episodes towards the beginning didn't really have recaps, and I didn't always cut them anyway (it wasn't until sometime during the RRA arc that I finally decided to cut the recaps completely). For those reasons, it would have been difficult for me to calculate. Even so, that added recap time would probably only result in about a 2 or 3 hour difference tops, which still leaves around 20 to 21 hours of filler cut, and that is certainly nothing to scoff at. That saves you almost an entire day!

So that's it! I know this is the "in-the-works" forum, but I am actually 100% finished with this project. Matter of fact, some of you may have already seen it at this point. Anyway, it took me a very long time to do and I'm proud of how it turned out.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TheMilkmanConspiracy said:
The second reason is that I personally don't much care for the English dub as Funimation didn't dub it very accurately. For that reason, there may be a line inconsistency or two found on the English track due to Funimation constantly changing the dialog entirely from what it originally was supposed to be. 

hey, milkman conspirator, welcome to FE.

i'm curious. . . if you didn't care for the english dub, why not cut it out of your edit altogether?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know this is the "in-the-works" forum, but I am actually 100% finished with this project.

Great thanks for creating the thread. I'll move this to "Pending Approval" while the Academy finds time to preview this. However, given the Academy's limited amount of free time and your stated edit length of...

29 hours, 5 minutes and 3 seconds

...to be honest and realistic, you might have a very long wait... and maybe never. Personally, I don't have time in this life and all possible future lives, to sit down and preview a 29-hour fanedit. Other Academy members may feel different and may have more spare time... but again to be honest, it seems doubtful.

In the meantime, if any forum members are hardcore DBZ fans and want to give this a go, post your reviews here and let us know what you think. Thanks.

TheMilkmanConspiracy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
hey, milkman conspirator, welcome to FE.

i'm curious. . . if you didn't care for the english dub, why not cut it out of your edit altogether?

Thank you, glad to be here!

Even though I personally don't care for the English dub, I decided to include it because others may feel differently and if they want to watch it that way, that's fine with me. It wasn't that difficult to include anyway, so why not?

TM2YC said:
...to be honest and realistic, you might have a very long wait... and maybe never. Personally, I don't have time in this life and all possible future lives, to sit down and preview a 29-hour fanedit. Other Academy members may feel different and may have more spare time... but again to be honest, it seems doubtful.

Totally understand. My hope was that there might be a Dragon Ball fan among you who has already seen it or would be interesting in watching it. I definitely don't expect anyone with no interest in Dragon Ball to watch the entire thing.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In the past with first-time edits that were episodic and incredibly long, watching just the first few episodes was enough to determine a pass/fail grade.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
In the past with first-time edits that were episodic and incredibly long, watching just the first few episodes was enough to determine a pass/fail grade.

True enough.

How long is each episode?

TheMilkmanConspiracy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Neglify said:

True enough.

How long is each episode?

Like I said before, the episodes vary in length:

Episode lengths (and file sizes) vary, due to the nature of the editing process. I tried to keep the episodes around 24 minutes or so, but it was really a matter of finding a good ending point for each episode. For that reason, some episodes run for about 18 minutes while others can go for as long as 32 minutes. I tried not to go much longer than 30 minutes per episode, but sometimes it couldn't be helped.

Specifically, the first 10 episodes (which make up the first story arc) run anywhere from 21 to 30 minutes apiece, and you can always skip the opening and ending themes to save some time. I should note, however, that a couple of those episodes (the first and third, I believe) don't actually have any cuts made to them as they didn't have any removable filler in the first place, so they may not be the most ideal episodes to preview.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit is now approved. I watched about 5 episodes, there were no noticeable cuts and the quality was good. It was nice to watch these episodes with all filler content cut.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, memories of watching rotten quality DBZ AMVs with Linkin Park raping my ears :cool:

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Ah, memories of watching rotten quality DBZ AMVs with Linkin Park raping my ears :cool:

Sorry to stray off topic but damn do I wince when I read that word. Using it to talk about something so casually cheapens the word and takes away from the horror that it actually is. I suspect if somebody close to you had been through that, this would be more obvious. In my opinion. Sorry, /end rant.

CONGRATS ON THE APPROVAL MILKMAN!!

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread moved.  Congrats.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congratulations on the approval

thecuddlyninja said:
Zarius said:

Sorry to stray off topic but damn do I wince when I read that word. Using it to talk about something so casually cheapens the word and takes away from the horror that it actually is. I suspect if somebody close to you had been through that, this would be more obvious. In my opinion. Sorry, /end rant.

CONGRATS ON THE APPROVAL MILKMAN!!

No need to say sorry, you're in the right. I should be sorry for using that word in the manner I did :s

eduardodallmann

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congratulations on the initiative and the good idea. But I wanted to make a suggestion. Your project is limited to two languages, correct? To make this available to any language you could create files EDL (Edit decision list wiki).

Of course you could base your project on especific bluray or dvd rip. But anyone could adjust to their own rip.

Advantages: It is not considered piracy. Everyone can enjoy it as if they were 'subtitles'. Easy to upload.

:)

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Recently started watching this and loving it! i'm glad it's in japanese and not just english but i'm sure others appreciate the inclusion of the english dub. nice work!

any chance at a dbz recut or would that just be kai?

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@TheMilkmanConspiracy I recently finished watching this edit and started the released portion of your dbz kai recut. The DB recut was fantastic! I had so much fun watching it. I will say I'm enjoying kai recut slightly less due to the new animations they created for it that stick out like a sore thumb. I'm not sure if the kai release redid the music as well, but sometimes that feels a little off too (and I'm really missing that Head-Cha-La!). I would love to see you recut the original DBZ which it seems was in progress at one point according to kanzenshuu website, but no news for a while. It looks like that is a much more monumental task so perhaps it is coming along very slowly or you set it aside. But if that ever gets completed someday, I will be thrilled! Your editing skills are top-notch :)

Grim_Furiza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not too long ago, I went through and re-edited the entire original (pre-Z) Dragon Ball series, removing as much filler as I possibly could. In this case, "filler" meant anything that wasn't in the original comics. It's kind of like Kai, but of the first series.

It is dual audio with priority given to the original Japanese track. By that I mean that I edited around the Japanese track first, and then edited the English track accordingly. I did so for a couple of reasons, the first of which is that the Japanese track is in mono, making it very difficult to manipulate in any significant way, so whatever edits I made had to accommodate the Japanese track first and foremost . The second reason is that I personally don't much care for the English dub as Funimation didn't dub it very accurately. For that reason, there may be a line inconsistency or two found on the English track due to Funimation constantly changing the dialog entirely from what it originally was supposed to be (if they hadn't done that so frequently, it wouldn't have been an issue). That said, I've received no complaints so far from people who have watched the English dub, so maybe I'm exaggerating a bit.

I used the Japanese Dragon Box for the video and Japanese audio, and the blue brick season sets from Funimation for the English track and English translated subtitles.

So I've removed as much filler as I possibly can. However, as I said before, given that the Japanese track is only available in mono, I had to work around that when editing. As a result, some filler could not be edited out due to the limitations of working with a mono audio track. This issue mainly comes into play whenever there is music playing, as that makes it incredibly difficult to cut anything out.

I recently did some number crunching in order to give me a rough estimate of just how much footage I cut from the show, and here's what I came up with.

• Disregarding the OP and ED themes, eyecatchers, title cards, and NEPs, that leaves each episode BEFORE EDITING at about 20 minutes and 26 seconds of actual show time.
  • Multiply that number by 153 episodes total, and you're left with 52 hours, 6 minutes and 18 seconds.
  • My recut of the show (again disregarding OP, ED, eyecatchers, title cards, and NEPs) comes out to about 29 hours, 5 minutes and 3 seconds
  • That leaves us with a grand total of 23 hours, 1 minute and 15 seconds worth of actual show footage cut, all of which was filler in one way or another.

You'll notice that I still included the recaps in that estimate which isn't completely fair, but the reason I did so is because some episodes towards the beginning didn't really have recaps, and I didn't always cut them anyway (it wasn't until sometime during the RRA arc that I finally decided to cut the recaps completely). For those reasons, it would have been difficult for me to calculate. Even so, that added recap time would probably only result in about a 2 or 3 hour difference tops, which still leaves around 20 to 21 hours of filler cut, and that is certainly nothing to scoff at. That saves you almost an entire day!

So that's it! I know this is the "in-the-works" forum, but I am actually 100% finished with this project. Matter of fact, some of you may have already seen it at this point. Anyway, it took me a very long time to do and I'm proud of how it turned out.
I can't seem to register on that Kanzenshuu site, waiting for an administrator for two weeks now. Anyways, I love your work. I've been dying to ask you a couple questions and to say, how amazing you are for making a faithful manga version of the anime. I fully support your incredible work

I was wondering after you have finished with Dragon Ball Z Kai, would you be editing Dragon Ball Super next? If anyone could do it, it's you. I would love to see it become reality

My second question is more of a request, I have a personal preference to the Ocean Dub of the Dragon Ball world. Would you ever consider doing a manga edit? for the Canadian Dub fan base. I'm not part of the toxic war between FUNimation fans and Ocean, I think different English dubs are fascinating. Ocean voices with the Japanese soundtrack would be a site to behold. Sorry I'm going on, I hope to hear from you. Thank you for your time :)

jedimasterluke

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Two questions is this going to have the original broadcast audio tracks for both dragon ball and z which also someone on YouTube showed a video cleaning up the audio are you going to do that? also will it be upscaled and color corrected from the dragon boxes?

C4PPY 7OP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not too long ago, I went through and re-edited the entire original (pre-Z) Dragon Ball series, removing as much filler as I possibly could. In this case, "filler" meant anything that wasn't in the original comics. It's kind of like Kai, but of the first series.

It is dual audio with priority given to the original Japanese track. By that I mean that I edited around the Japanese track first, and then edited the English track accordingly. I did so for a couple of reasons, the first of which is that the Japanese track is in mono, making it very difficult to manipulate in any significant way, so whatever edits I made had to accommodate the Japanese track first and foremost . The second reason is that I personally don't much care for the English dub as Funimation didn't dub it very accurately. For that reason, there may be a line inconsistency or two found on the English track due to Funimation constantly changing the dialog entirely from what it originally was supposed to be (if they hadn't done that so frequently, it wouldn't have been an issue). That said, I've received no complaints so far from people who have watched the English dub, so maybe I'm exaggerating a bit.

So I've removed as much filler as I possibly can. However, as I said before, given that the Japanese track is only available in mono, I had to work around that when editing. As a result, some filler could not be edited out due to the limitations of working with a mono audio track. This issue mainly comes into play whenever there is music playing, as that makes it incredibly difficult to cut anything out.

You'll notice that I still included the recaps in that estimate which isn't completely fair, but the reason I did so is because some episodes towards the beginning didn't really have recaps, and I didn't always cut them anyway (it wasn't until sometime during the RRA arc that I finally decided to cut the recaps completely). For those reasons, it would have been difficult for me to calculate. Even so, that added recap time would probably only result in about a 2 or 3 hour difference tops, which still leaves around 20 to 21 hours of filler cut, and that is certainly nothing to scoff at. That saves you almost an entire day!

is there a link to this I cant find the recut anywhere

Top Bottom