• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Downloading Fan Edits to Mac?

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I seriously need help. I am what you could call new to this site. I found it a while back and got immediately hooked to the brilliant idea of fan editing. I tried to find out how to download the edits on to my Mac, and, well I didn’t find out. So for the time since, I have checked up on the site to see what kind of awesome edits people are making, but I’ve never watched them. Recently, I decided that enough was enough, and I was going to figure out how to download them. It still hasn’t worked. So this is what I did. I downloaded Vuze, then I did what any reasonable person would do, and tried to download what I figured out was the best fan edit out there: Star Wars Revisited. I downloaded onto Vuze and, well I don’t know what happened but I can’t watch it. I’ve done the thing where I open it with a different device (iTunes) but it didn’t even download. So I tried to find out how to download it without using a torrent. So I went with Rapid Share. I downloaded Jdownloader and did my best to see if I could finally watch something. Guess not. I’m getting really annoyed now. I might like to be a fan editor in the future, but how could I be if I’ve never seen a single fan edit?

If anyone out there has a Mac, please tell me EXACTLY how you download fan edits on to your computer. Please, I want to be part of this community, and I want to watch these things. Please, I’m begging you. Help me fan editors, your my only hope.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Personally I would love to see us trend toward the use of torrents and away from RS and MU, but for now avoid the torrent links and use the RS or MU link options. (I'm guessing that torrents haven't worked well enough in the past because the community wasn't large enough. There are also hard drive space issues. (Probably some admin concerns about legal attacks as well related to the technology). But I digress.)

Detail for us exactly what you did with the RAR file you downloaded. Did you correctly unzip this? Did you read the instructions file? Did you drag the dlc file into jdownloader? What did jdownloader say? Did the movie rar files download? Did they get unziped into the actual movie? How are you trying to watch said movie?

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jdownloader works just fine on mac. You're a bit vague regarding what didn't work for you.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Torrent used to be the preferred way of downloading, put simply it didn't work in the long run and DDL is by far a better medium for distribution.

If we're going to move to another form of distro then NZB would be the best choice.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
torrents are a horrible way of sharing fanedits. It has done nothing but fail in the past. The problem we face with that is the relatively small community, so people can't / won't seed very long. Couple that with the greedy nature of a lot of people, and that means that fanedits die quickly.

Filehosters have been the most successful option to date (RS, MU, MF, MS, etc), and I see absolutely no reason to go to a new form of distribution. While newsgroups are an interesting option, it is a method that seems to present a leap/challenge for a lot of people. I don't see it taking off successfully.

Slime is correct in that you need to be more specific with your issues. JD should work just fine, and there are many mac users here (admins included) who are able to use the program and get the files.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for replying. I was a little vague on what I did because I didn't do much. I just downloaded the file and then tried to open it with JDownloader and it didn't work. Yeah, that sounds kind of dumb, but I couldn't find any instructions. I am going to try again, but this time I will attempt to unzip it and what not.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yep, sorry. Still need help. I've downloaded the rar file and I cant unzip it. I tried using the terminal but when I do, it says I cant unzip because it's not a zipfile and cannot find the zipfile directory. I've tried again to open the file with JDownloader but noting appears. Still stuck.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alright, I know, I know, I'm getting annoying. I think I've got it though. I figured out that I need to expand the file, which I did. I am currently downloading it on JDownloader. I think I've finally figured it out. Thanks for the advice about torrents, and if there's anything else I need to know I would greatly appreciate it. I might be back if I have a problem, but for now it seems like I'll be good. Fan edits, here I come.

P.S. Thanks for that link.

P.S.S. Okay this might sound dumb: I got the file on JDownloader, now how do I watch it?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What file? You should have a bunch of rars, not a single file. Again, we need more information if we are to help.

Oh, and no go on newsgroups. They cost money.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay. This is where I am. Disregard my previous posts. I have the files together on JDownloader. They have been downloaded. Now how do I watch it?

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good news everyone! You shall be annoyed no longer! I've done it! I've got it to work! No more problems! No need to worry! Thanks for the info!

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Oh, and no go on newsgroups. They cost money.

And premium DDL doesn't? Free services don't count as most of them are crap apart from MU which is just about passable for the moment...

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
And premium DDL doesn't? Free services don't count as most of them are crap apart from MU which is just about passable for the moment...

Amen to that. $19 USD per month for premium is not free. Multiply that by all of us paying premium service and that is a lot of money that could be pooled toward an alternative. I have finally dropped back down to regular service on MU, but felt it was a necessary evil for the first two months to pay for premium service so multiple people could download at once. Though now if it goes undownloaded for a certain period of time they can delete it. This becomes more work for admins when links drop as well as annoyance for all.

I could host my movies on my own for cheaper, but MU does offer a small bit of liability protection, which is nice. We'll see how it all pans out this coming year. All this online file hosting stuff (and web streaming) is really just starting to become more mainstream. Who knows what kind of options there will be this time next year. For now MU works I guess.

Top Bottom