• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Double Albums That Should Of Been Single Albums

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi, this subject thread is for any double album, but I just thought I'd start with Metallica.

Basically, I was recently re-listening to the Metallica albums Load & Reload. Like always, I found them hard going coz both albums are well past the hour mark & I kinda get bored with most albums after 45mins. As I recently bought an iPod Video I decided it would interesting to see what the 2 albums would sound like if I took the best songs (IMO :wink: ) & make one album out of it.

Here's what I came up with:
01. Ain't My Bitch
02. The Memory Remains
03. Slither
04. Ronnie
05. Low Man's Lyric
06. Fuel
07. Wasted My Hate
08. The Unforgiven II
09. Hero Of The Day
10. The Outlaw Torn

If you guys have any more track listing ideas for Load & Reload I'd love to try them out & if you know of any other double albums that can be reduced to a single album please share.

sorry FM, i can´t say much about this album because metallica lost me with the black album but you really speak from the bottom of my heart:
& I kinda get bored with most albums after 45mins

Should that be a rule for album releases?

like ´don´t you ever maketh an album that is longer than 45 minutes and 45 minutes at the most!´?

i think yes! :)

sometimes i think that this concept is almost as weak as this feakishly weird idea of some metal bands back in the eighties to pull out some very stupid concept albums meaning telling a stupid story over 10 to 14 songs (mediocre to very bad) with some atmospheric samples in between to make it more interesting to come out very intelligent & clever (testament, queensryche, king diamond...to name but a few).

get your creative output straight, goddammit! i like my music when it´s getting to me... not when it´s boring or too long or somebody puts 9 songs out and splits it on two vinyl albums...

:-?

btw: what´s it with the colors in the text dude? had a sport cigarette?
:eek:

OK OK I sorted the colour out now. :razz: I was bored, not an excuse but there you go. :)

Personally, I think every album should be as long as it needs to be. I mean OK Computer is about 55mins & I love that album & I also love The Wall & that's well over an hour.

I think the problem occurs when a songwriter/band get delusions of grandeur & want to start producing epics, which quite frankly they haven't got the talent to pull off.
OR.
When a songwriter/band Burn Out. So instead of doing a 10trk album with 7/8 great songs, they can only write an 10trk album with 2/3 decent songs. So to cover this up they put even more songs on the album to make up for the lack of quality. Leaving the listener with a 18trk album full of boring songs.

For me, Metallica died when Cliff died (R.I.P.). But I agree with the above statements. Instead of writing 18 "eh" tracks I'd rather they took 3 times as long to write 6 solid tracks.

Heinrich said:
like ´don´t you ever maketh an album that is longer than 45 minutes and 45 minutes at the most!´?

45 minutes is conveniently the stretched-out maximum for an LP. Most hover around 40 minutes. It's a perfect length, especially with the option of only playing half that by nature of the medium.

To chime in on the actual topic at hand, and not on the "rule of thumb" length of an album, The White Album by the Beatles is half filler. I get so goddamn sick of the whole thing by the end of the second disc that I just never want to listen to it again. And then I usually don't for a couple years. I think if they really spent some more time during the writing/recording process thinking really hard about what the potential stand-out songs were, and then just concentrated on those, we'd have a kickass album. But as it stands, I generally don't listen to any Beatles album past Sgt. Pepper.

ok so i do like to do mixtapes/compilations of my fav music and i did do something along the lines of double album TO single album with led zeppelin's physical graffiti :)

...for different reasons, tho...

(some might remember my "george harrison IS the beatles" compilation... from the what are you listening to thread)

1. some of PG was a collection of other tracks that didn't make other albums
2. some of PG wasn't *great*
3. i wanted a record to encapsulate the 1974 headley grange recordings ONLY
4. using the 8 songs from these recording sessions i tracked it to fit the normal 20min/20min record limits that would have been used to (help) determine running order... and obviously how i like to listen to this album. doing so dropped 2 songs (custard pie & in the light).

below is the tracklisting:

1. trampled underfoot
2. in my time of dying
3. the wanton song
4. sick again
5. kashmir
6. ten years gone

i've always:
* disliked the transition from trampled underfoot to kashmir
* thought trampled underfoot was UNDERrated
* disliked how kashmir ends a side (side 2 of the vinyl <-- obviously)
* LOVE how ten years gone at the end of the record changes the feel
* been fickle with "in the light" - i do really like it, but it doesn't feel right in this new album ;)

i used barry diament's original cd mastering as base, did some minor editing (...the "cough" at the end of IMTOD) and did some other simple edits (audacity, shntool fix, wavegain) and this has been my preferred listening of PG for a while now.

i titled this "Led Zeppelin - VI" :)

GyRo567 said:
45 minutes is conveniently the stretched-out maximum for an LP. Most hover around 40 minutes. It's a perfect length, especially with the option of only playing half that by nature of the medium.

When I was revising for my exams I was told never to study longer than 45mins, because after 45mins people tend to lose concentration. So I agree Vinyls are the perfect medium in terms of durations for albums.

ReverendBeastly said:
To chime in on the actual topic at hand, and not on the "rule of thumb" length of an album, The White Album by the Beatles is half filler.

RB Here's what I've come up with. I'd liked to see how you'd approach editing the album.

Side One
Back in the USSR
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Happiness Is a Warm Gun
Mother Nature's Son

Side Two
Everybody's Got Something to Hide
Yer Blues
Sexy Sadie
Helter Skelter
Revolution 1
Julia

ReverendBeastly said:
But as it stands, I generally don't listen to any Beatles album past Sgt. Pepper.

Blasphemy :-D There's nothing wrong with Magical Mystery Tour or Abbey Road.

joebshmoe, I'll definetly check you're listings this week.

You're right! There is nothing wrong with Magical Mystery Tour, though I rarely count that as being a true proper album. Moreso, I consider it the bastard brother of Sgt Pepper. Abbey Road isn't bad, I like Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

Now I'm going to go listen to Sgt Pepper, Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine in mono...

ReverendBeastly said:
You're right! There is nothing wrong with Magical Mystery Tour, though I rarely count that as being a true proper album. Moreso, I consider it the bastard brother of Sgt Pepper.

It is a difficult one. I don't see it as a bastard brother because Strawberry Fields Forever & Penny Lane were both recorded before the Pepper album so technically Pepper is the bastard brother. But MMT was a double EP before being turned into an album, so I see your point. I still think it works very well as an album.

ReverendBeastly said:
...I generally don't listen to any Beatles album past Sgt. Pepper.

wow... most of my favorite stuff is after sgt. peppers.... Let it Be is my favorite beatles album... and most of my other favorite tracks are spread out over abbey road, the white album, and magical mystery tour.... and a few singles that weren't on albums.... but still.... we don't see eye to eye on that section of their career ;) hehe

Back
Top Bottom