• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Donnie & Lefty

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 8 stars

• 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is an improved version of this edit.

Original film name: Donnie Brasco
New film name: Donnie and Lefty
Original runtime: 127 mins (Special Edition)
New runtime: 80 mins
Amount of time Cut/Added: 47 mins

Cuts removed/added/extended:

-removed all references to Joe Pistone, his work, life and family
-removed the Chinese restaurant scene
-removed the Pointer Sisters' "Happiness" montage
-removed Nicky doing his own deal on the side
-removed the airport scene

Your intention for this fanedit:
To create a movie about the rise of a young gangster (Donnie Brasco) and the fall of a veteran gangster (Lefty Ruggeiro).

Additional Comment:
I love the original Donnie Brasco. This certainly did not need to be edited. But, I thought it was an interesting take on the movie if you eliminate the FBI angle and focus on a mob story.

A SL NTSC DD 5.1 DVD is available via RS.

Time needed for the edition: about two weeks

DONNIEANDLEFTY3DCOVER.jpg

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Donnie Brasco is one of my "most quoted" films. My brother and I regularly communicat w/ one another using only DB dialog :lol:

I love the original and think this edit sounds intriguing.

:smile: not a-pinch, a-punch!

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
Donnie Brasco is one of my "most quoted" films. My brother and I regularly communicat w/ one another using only DB dialog :lol:

I love the original and think this edit sounds intriguing.

:smile: not a-pinch, a-punch!

I know exactly what you mean. Along with The Big Lebowski, this has to be one of the most oft-quoted "guy" movies.

Get yourself a pair of pants...

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
eight
thousand
dollas

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
watched this last night and this was a great take on DB.

the pacing is greatly improved by keeping with donnie and lefty during the whole film and removing the interweaved FBI angle.

i would say not a replacement, but definitely a fun way to watch DB.

8/10

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
joebshmoe said:
watched this last night and this was a great take on DB.

the pacing is greatly improved by keeping with donnie and lefty during the whole film and removing the interweaved FBI angle.

i would say not a replacement, but definitely a fun way to watch DB.

8/10

Cool, glad you liked it.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This was a great edit, Adabisi! My brother and I love the original and we really enjoyed it.

I was surprised by the ending, as I thought you were going to remove all the FBI elements and make him just a gangster. Did you ever consider changing it, so when they hauled Donnie away it cut to a message about what happened afterwards and made it a pure gangster film?

That would have been good. Donnie didn't say nothin' but he .... Something like that.

Se7en was cool too. :)

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Glad you liked it. I didn't really consider removing the FBI angle at the end. If Donnie isn't the rat, Lefty lives and there's no explanation as to how they got caught in that massive sting. Plus, I like the "surprise" ending.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hmmm... but doesn't "Ritchie ****ed up paying off the cops" deal with the rat?

You could also cut the scene in the plane when Donnie hides the article from Leftie, which does kind of hint at your ending anyway, mate. :)

The viewer could potentially then accept Donnie's explanation to Leftie in the car at the end, as Leftie himself does: the boat was just chance. I know it's quite a stretch though.

You're right: the surprise ending does work, absolutely, but I rather wished for a 100% pure gangster film, even though that would be tough to do, unless you cut the ending a great deal.

Still, I really loved both this and Se7en. :smile:

crzchris4

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just cut out the part with the FBI and the mobsters and cut from them being caught to Lefty being set for. You could assume that Donnie could of ratted them out and since Lefty brought him he, he's paying for the betrayal.

Something like that. I could work. I'd love to see it.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I'd been wanting to watch this for awhile. Before I got around to watching it, just for fun, as an editing exercise, I attempted my own edit with the same goal as [MENTION=6765]Adabisi[/MENTION]. It was interesting going into this edit having already attempted it myself. Now I wasn't aiming for perfection with my editing "exercise", I just wanted to see what choices needed to make, spots that were tricky, etc. etc.

Adabisi overall did a great job with this. We made similar choices, for the most part, and he pulled it off fairly seamlessly. I do have to agree with Captain Khajiit that the scene on the airplane (where Donnie sees the paper with the article about the Abscam boat) should have been removed, to preserve suspense and make it more of a surprise. That was my only complaint though.

A very enjoyable, fast paced edit and a fun alternate version of the movie.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for taking the time to watch and review this moldy oldie. I completely agree about the airplane scene - not sure what I was thinking with that one. Glad you enjoyed it!

Top Bottom