• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Donnie Darko - Tangent Edit

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
full

An edit adding, and in some cases replacing, parts of the director's cut to the theatrical cut of Donnie Darko. I could never decide which version I preferred so went and made a version containing my favorite aspects of each.

Cutlist (added/replaced scenes from DC into the TC)
-Use company logos from the DC
-add scene of Elizabeth on phone with frank
-add extended rose leaving donnie's room
-add extended pick a seat leading into Donnie and his dad arguing over radio stations
-add Donnie mocking Samantha about her poem
-add gretchen's expletive to bullies
-add extended parent-teacher conference
-add poetry day scene
-add extended cunning visions video
-use DC donnie's "path"
-add rose and eddie at restaurant & pumpkin carving
-use DC cunningham seminar
-add watership down book hand out
-add father son talk
-use dc karen getting fired
-add rose departure & use dc version of cellar door
-add grandma death "storm is coming" & extra following shots: forest, tv
-use DC donnie on car, plane crash audio (no voice overs)

fanedit runtime: 125 minutes
cut (from theatrical): 12 minutes
added (from director's): 24 minutes

Last edited:

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So it looks like this Tangent Edit keeps the echo and the bunnyman song, adds in your best of the deleted scenes, but DOES NOT USE the DC cut text inserts. Is my take correct?

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I absolutely loved this take on one of my favorite movies. I promise to try to find time to review it. It's excellent across the board.

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I absolutely loved this take on one of my favorite movies. I promise to try to find time to review it. It's excellent across the board.
I just watched it as well @ArtisDead . Great edit. Very professionally done.

I'm so glad you both enjoyed it!

Once I completed my goal of achieving faneditor status almost 2 years ago, I didn't think anyone would really be that interested in any of my other edits. But after realizing how much I've benefited from this generous and talented community, I thought the least I can do is give what I can back, even if it brings enjoyment to only a few. Seeing your responses makes me feel like it was totally worth it!

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm so glad you both enjoyed it!

Once I completed my goal of achieving faneditor status almost 2 years ago, I didn't think anyone would really be that interested in any of my other edits. But after realizing how much I've benefited from this generous and talented community, I thought the least I can do is give what I can back, even if it brings enjoyment to only a few. Seeing your responses makes me feel like it was totally worth it!

People like you make all the time I spend here helping others definitively worthwhile!
Thank you so much for being so gracious!

stretch009

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As always I'm making my own Ripbot264 'Darko' color correction. Curious, what's the source? UHD BD, Remastered BD, or Original BD? Looking forward to this after the CC.

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As always I'm making my own Ripbot264 'Darko' color correction. Curious, what's the source? UHD BD, Remastered BD, or Original BD? Looking forward to this after the CC.
Remastered BD

drew4531x

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds amazing, can't wait to watch.

Did you ever consider replacing the Sparkle Motion music to West End Girls, as intended by Kelly (and used in the festival version)? That's one change I was going to make if I ever cut my own version. Some editors have done versions of it that you can find on Vimeo (and maybe YouTube) but none are in good enough quality to just swap into a blu-ray quality cut.

Wish they'd got the rights to do it officially!

EDIT: This is the one I was thinking of: vimeo [dot] com [slash] 173988556

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds amazing, can't wait to watch.

Did you ever consider replacing the Sparkle Motion music to West End Girls, as intended by Kelly (and used in the festival version)? That's one change I was going to make if I ever cut my own version. Some editors have done versions of it that you can find on Vimeo (and maybe YouTube) but none are in good enough quality to just swap into a blu-ray quality cut.

Wish they'd got the rights to do it officially!

EDIT: This is the one I was thinking of: vimeo [dot] com [slash] 173988556
First I've heard of this. That edit looks & sounds pretty good, but like krausfadr I'm partial to Notorious.

Seems like a good reason to make your own edit though!

Top Bottom