• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Does creating a continous VOB file with PgcDemux lessen the quality?

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's too late for my Endgame fan edit (where I've got both separate-VOB and continuous-VOB files of both HL1 and HL4 on my slave drive), but an answer to this question might help me for future edits.

For my Gundam, Teen Wolf, and Highlander edits, I've mostly been using the separate VOB files that I've ripped straight from the DVDs, and I use the continuous VOB file whenever I'm including footage that's spread across two VOB files (due to the jump that viewing the VOB files back-to-back in Womble causes).

For future reference, does running the VOB files through PgnDemux to create a continuous file lessen the audio and/or video quality in any way, or will editing from just the continous VOB file (and therefore being able to delete the original VOB files and clear up a lot of space) result in the same quality?

Do you mean you've been editing from VOBs up to this point? :doh:

Never do that. Demux them. You might want to check out some of the fanediting tutorials in this forum.

For future reference, does running the VOB files through PgnDemux to create a continuous file lessen the audio and/or video quality in any way

No.

if you need to have your film as one FULL Vob, you could use the super old dvd ripper "dvd decrypter" because it has an option for such a thing (if you are ripping from a disc). Likewise (and more recent) you can use this tool as well which will also rip from an already copied dvd on your hard drive

this way you can have a full vob and whatever audio you select to go with it
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG

Hey Mark Moore,

Since I too use Womble I thought I'd chime in. Here is what I do when I edit. I edit from a muxed MPEG (one long complete MPEG of the movie). Then thanks to a few threads on here I learned you can copy the MPEG (or piece of the MPEG) to the audio "row" on the timeline and the audio will be copied. Then you just mute the audio for the MPEGs in the video "row".

So instead of making one long VOB with PGCdemux you can make a muxed MPEG. To do this, demux into elementary streams with PGC demux. Then use a program that muxes (I use Imago MPEG Muxer) and mux the elementary streams. That way you have one continuous MPEG and don't have to worry about the "skips" between VOB breaks etc. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom