• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Confirmed in this month's edition of Big Finish Magazine Vortex, David Bradley has been replaced as the voice actor of the First Doctor for future audios

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I recently watched the 1979 serial 'Creature from the Pit'. An actor in it Geoffrey Bayldon sounds identical to the first Doctor and apparently has played him in some audio stories and was considered for the part originally. Unfortunately he died a few years back.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I recently watched the 1979 serial 'Creature from the Pit'. An actor in it Geoffrey Bayldon sounds identical to the first Doctor and apparently has played him in some audio stories and was considered for the part originally. Unfortunately he died a few years back.
He played the Doctor in 2 Doctor Who Unbound (what-if stories) for Big Finish

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jodie Whittaker is also pregnant with her second child.

DAVIE

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I never knew Britbox funded the animation for that Wheel In Space footage until the other week so there may be a small chance that they may team up with Big Finish to do "Wheel".

Sony has also been rumoured with animation funding too since it has stakes in Bad Wolf. Companies have come and gone over the years when it comes to Who animation. There's always a chance more will be animated, even if it takes a few years.

The sad truth is that the BBC junked the episodes in the first place and has the money to animate all of them. It really should bite the bullet and animate them all for the fans.

Last edited:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The sad truth is that the BBC junked the episodes in the first place and has the money to animate all of them. It really should bite the bullet and animate them all for the fans.

Sadly the government has slashed the BBC's budget by about 50% over the last decade (and are keen to cut it more, or ideally do away with it all together), so it's not guaranteed the beeb can afford to make new episodes, never mind animating old ones. Fingers crossed though.

Just watched the new 6-episode version of Shada. The animation for that is really good, whoever did that would be my preference for future stuff.

DAVIE

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sadly the government has slashed the BBC's budget by about 50% over the last decade (and are keen to cut it more, or ideally do away with it all together), so it's not guaranteed the beeb can afford to make new episodes, never mind animating old ones. Fingers crossed though.

Just watched the new 6-episode version of Shada. The animation for that is really good, whoever did that would be my preference for future stuff.
To be honest though, they will continue to receive billions. I doubt the animations made in the past couple of years has cost the Doctor Who DVD range billions to do. And if the BBC are truly hard up (which I don't believe for a second since everyone is still paying the Licence fee), I'm sure slashing Gary Linekers salary alone would probably afford a fair few stories to be animated. They could have saved £100 million alone on "Diversity Training", there's a few episodes right there if they stopped with training programmes that don't really do much. The money is there. The BBC refuses to use Licence Fee payers money to make them.

Regardless of the BBC, I'm still pretty hopeful one or two more will get made as it took 7 years of negotiations to get the recent animations. These things take time.

Last edited:

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If the animations sold better I'm sure they would allocate the funds, but they only sell to an incredibly niche market. I love the show, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that the animations are in any way making their money back. And sorry, the BBC is under no obligation to spend the money just to animate them. The audio is available and plenty of great recons are available. I'd love to have all the stories done, and hopefully they can find a partner to work and get more stories finished, but I'm incredibly grateful for the ones we've had in the last few years and will continue to enjoy them for years to come.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The animations were by large a lottery, there are shows of strength, but most of them aren't fit for purpose at all. Some of them wouldn't look out of place on Newgrounds.com

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The animations were by large a lottery, there are shows of strength, but most of them aren't fit for purpose at all. Some of them wouldn't look out of place on Newgrounds.com
Reign of Terror I would call a total waste of money. I haven't seen all the animations but I was extremely put off by that one, can't believe it was approved/released.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Reign of Terror I would call a total waste of money. I haven't seen all the animations but I was extremely put off by that one, can't believe it was approved/released.
That's nothing compared to the Web of Fear part 3:

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What's crazy to me is that there are a lot of fans who would probably be willing to do the animated reconstructions for free if given the go-ahead from the BBC.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's nothing compared to the Web of Fear part 3: [MEDIA]

Honestly, while it's not good looking, I much prefer this over Reign of Terror. The editing is comprehensible, I can tell what's happening. (Not much of a positive I know)

Last edited:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Josh Snares excellent DrWho youtube channel is highly recommended from me. Lots of knowledge and love for the classic show and I dig his sense of humour. e.g.

A quality retrospective of how the show got relaunched:

An amusing and deliberately opinionated ranking of all the companions:

Funny cardboard remake of K-9 titles:

An experiment with making Tardis fx the oldskool way:

etc

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Josh Snares excellent DrWho youtube channel is highly recommended from me. Lots of knowledge and love for the classic show and I dig his sense of humour.
That dude's legit.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Confirmed in this month's edition of Big Finish Magazine Vortex, David Bradley has been replaced as the voice actor of the First Doctor for future audios
Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like the replacement is an actor named Stephen Noonan, who looks like he's been busy for a number of years according to IMDB but nothing I've heard of myself.

If you want a sample of his performance, it's in this news article:

The performance certainly captures the flavor and personality of the First Doctor, even if it's not a strict vocal match. But then Bradley (as wonderful as he was) wasn't a strict vocal match either. The only actor I've heard who can do an uncanny imitation of William Hartnell is John Guilor, an actor and impressionist who provided the First Doctor's brief speaking lines (matched with archival Hartnell footage) in "Day of the Doctor." (I just found out he also voiced the First Doctor for the animated recreation of "Planet of the Giants," which makes me want to hunt that one down.)

I'm not sure why they didn't call Guilor; he's appeared in both official and fan projects, so I don't think he's too busy or expensive. Nonetheless, Noonan's performance is solid, and he should be a lot of fun in the role.

Top Bottom