• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
At least we know we'll get consistent output from RTD and more or less know what to expect. I'm not hugely a fan of those first 4 seasons overall, but the more I think about this turn of events, its probably for the best. Give RTD a few years to settle the boat and get things back on course, and then handoff to a protege to continue from there.

Also, this might mean more music from Murray Gold, so its a good thing.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can't say I'm excited at all for this news. Doctor Who thrives on new showrunners bringing something different to the show. After the Chibnall and Whittaker debacle, I was praying for the BBC to take a proper gamble on a new showrunner who would really shake the series up. Going back to Davies is a definite step backwards.

TheTVEditor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Russel T. Davies is back at the helm

I'm excited, maybe you need a step back to take 3 steps foward. For me, the RTD era is the best from the show, I loved the story arcs and I hope that he brings back the excitement of middle to late 2000s Doctor Who. Now I am hopeful for the show's future.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've had a theory that RTD, who's friends with Sally Wainwright, is keeping the seat warm for her. Wainwright was a heavily tipped consideration in rumour circles for a few months, but it recently came to light she has to do contracted work for Disney+ (no, it's not a Marvel show) and has other drama commitments, so it might be a few years before she's free

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think we'll see anyone over 50 in the role for awhile.

morrigan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've had a theory that RTD, who's friends with Sally Wainwright, is keeping the seat warm for her. Wainwright was a heavily tipped consideration in rumour circles for a few months, but it recently came to light she has to do contracted work for Disney+ (no, it's not a Marvel show) and has other drama commitments, so it might be a few years before she's free
This wouldn't surprise me, although my leading theory on the future is that RTD is being brought into oversee an expansion of the Doctor Who franchise/universe. So he runs the show for a little while, then steps up into a position overseeing multiple DW properties, each with their own showrunner. He talked about such a thing (in vague, hypothetical terms) earlier in the year (https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2021/01/russel-t-davies-wants-to-see-doctor-who-get-more-ambitious/) and it would make sense that the BBC is finally realising they've got one of the big sci-fi series just sitting there.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, RTD was already doing connected universes long before Marvel so he's the person to bring in if you want to try and replicate that again. Plus, getting Bad Wolf involved brings back Tranter and Gardner, who were heavily responsible for NuWho's success and were invaluable pieces to the show's overall success. I agree RTD's involvement is probably only for the immediate future to groom a successor, but having these two ladies involved means the budgets will be maximized and promotion will be top notch, two things that have been a big problem over the years.

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
26 September 2003. My 16th birthday. That niche camp little old sci fi series which I had been watching on UK Gold, VHS and DVD for 4 years was coming back for a new series. Already I was involved in conventions and online fandom. Russell T Davies was going to showrun.

When it aired in 2005, it was the biggest and boldest thing British TV had done for years. The nearest comparison at the time was WB’s Harry Potter movies. These were big exciting sci fi adventures but with heart and character arcs. Blockbuster season finales. I was so inspired by the way it was run (behind the scenes articles and TV series were always always out) with it’s two spin offs. It’s partially why I wanted to work in TV, which hasn’t happened YET (why let the dream die?!) Russell left in 2010.

24 September 2021. Days before my 34th birthday (#JesusChrist) It is announced that Russell T Davies will showrun the 60th Anniversary and a series beyond. This is amazing. Moffat kept inviting him back for an episode be he declined. This is the man who has since written Years & Years and the so-important It’s A Sin. A genius with his finger on the pulse. Am I expecting things to be the same? No, there have been 13 years and 9 series in the interim.

CONTROVERSIAL BIT Some may say this is the BBC trying to save the brand after a backlash to Chibnall’s run, which I don’t think is far from the truth. I love Jodie as the Thirteenth Doctor and Series 12 was better than 11 but I’ve never been a fan of Chibnall as a writer. Interestingly this will be produced by Bad Wolf, not BBC Studios – an indie company run by Jane Tranter (former BBC exec who commissioned RTD to make nuWho) and Julie Gardner (RTD’s former co-exec) The dream team are reunited (I was half exepcting a Netflix co-production that would take it back to America).

If anything they need to make Doctor Who more visible again, better press coverage, more merch, an MCU worth of spin offs (RTD said at the start of this year he wanted that for Doctor Who… )

I’m trying to think of characteristics of Russell’s run which could continue – definitely the character arcs, the optimistic look at humanity (the opposite to Years & Years?), celebrity historicals, mocking pop culture, as well as world-building through the contemprary stories. Interestingly back in the day RTD was holding back (wisely) on throwbacks to Classic Who which Moffat loosened on (obviously by then the general audience was more familiar with the show) Also of course his first series/special is said to be the 60th Anniversary – multi Doctor story? Are we getting the Fourteenth Doctor or the Meta-Crisis Doctor and Rose?

Also we know Russell is a big cuddly fierce old tart. He’s not afraid to put in things that may offend, commentary on the current climate, and like I said epic finales. Hopefully he’ll take the ‘event television’ approach once more.

I’m more optimistic about Doctor Who’s future than I was

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
AI turned a photo of William Hartnell into a 3d model, I used the same photo as the model's texture. The weird hands are because I photoshopped the photo into something close to a T pose in an attempt to get the AI to understand the form better so it could be rigged. The rig is set up but untested. The set is a simple image as a plane for the ground and another image as a plane for the background. Sun light set up but not in the right spot, you can see the slight shadow cast on the ground but in the wrong direction. Experimenting in Blender. Felt like an ok stopping point for tonight. Have a render.

Qh67MEB.png

Edit: A little more context for the above. Screengrab of another angle in blender.
QBcDMvy.jpeg

Last edited:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Has WH always looked like Beck or is it just that image?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Has WH always looked like Beck or is it just that image?
Probably just the image.3d faces are hard, and it is very difficult to find 60s who cast in 'colour' photos where they're looking straight ahead, not turned or too tilted. Working with what's available. I'm hoping that maybe, if cropped and shrunk down to SD dimensions, with some minor blur and then grain added, it might look convincing enough to escape uncanny valley. Or it could trip and fall face first into it. More tests to do though, always testing stuff.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm hoping that maybe, if cropped and shrunk down to SD dimensions, with some minor blur and then grain added, it might look convincing enough to escape uncanny valley. Or it could trip and fall face first into it. More tests to do though, always testing stuff.
Careful!
21-years-after-goldeneye-n64-came-out-its-finally-official-playing-as-oddjob-was-cheating-1535010001780.jpg

Cero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Probably just the image.3d faces are hard, and it is very difficult to find 60s who cast in 'colour' photos where they're looking straight ahead, not turned or too tilted. Working with what's available. I'm hoping that maybe, if cropped and shrunk down to SD dimensions, with some minor blur and then grain added, it might look convincing enough to escape uncanny valley. Or it could trip and fall face first into it. More tests to do though, always testing stuff.
Have you considered using a couple of different image sources to build a composite image of his face that meets all your needs? I tried it years ago in PowerPoint (in that instance, I think I used the promotional pics from The Three Doctors for the colour source and a decent frontal one from The Web Planet for the detailed B&W) and at the time I thought it came out pretty well, though that was a long time ago.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have you considered using a couple of different image sources to build a composite image of his face that meets all your needs? I tried it years ago in PowerPoint (in that instance, I think I used the promotional pics from The Three Doctors for the colour source and a decent frontal one from The Web Planet for the detailed B&W) and at the time I thought it came out pretty well, though that was a long time ago.

I've definitely thought about it but I'm not sure how to mix different angles, or different facial expressions together, this model will probably have slight head turn, arm wiggle, and maybe more if I can figure out more animations but probably not too complex or too close-up. I'm not 100% sure what I'm even trying to do but will keep sharing if I get any breakthroughs or just shareable looking stuff.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another Collection blu-ray announced in time for Santa to leave it under the tree!:

It's been a while since the last set, I was getting worried they were going to stop doing them. The new unedited 6 episode version of Shada sounds interesting. I don't think I've ever seen 3 out of the 6 stories in Season 17.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Season 24 set just came out this past summer didn't it? Hard to remember as we always get things a few months later in the states.

Season 17 is definitely an interesting one, as it has one of my favorite stories in City of Death, as well as some...other stories. But hey, who am I to resist buying Shada for the 9th time.

Top Bottom