• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
On the hunt for visual raw material, I ended up doing some digging, and eventually bought a digital back issue of Doctor Who Magazine special edition 34, with all the existing Marco Polo tele snaps cleaned, organized, and about as high quality as is possible to find. Interestingly they added a thing over all the images in the magazine, some purple frame design that slightly crops each image and heavily rounds all the corners. Lame.

But... importantly it is the digital version, so the online magazine viewer allowed me to "print", which allowed me to save as PDF. And wouldn't you know it, if you import those PDFs into Photoshop you can either choose to import the whole page as a layer, OR just pick out the embedded images. Choosing images in this case reveals that the purple stuff added was actually added non-destructively, and just like that the full frames are restored.

Each is still pretty small and low res, but upscaling is already going to have to be part of the workflow, and the clean up was nice enough to show improvement over what you'd see in a standard reconstruction.

Now I'm trying to find all possibly obtainable (non tele-snap) photos from the production, and I'm having a bad time doing it. It's not that there aren't many images, it's that there is no central hub or organized way to find and keep track of them all, and I keep finding wild variations like the same image cropped differently but the one cropped less is super low resolution, or the one cropped more is in color, or little low quality images that are only on one blog and reposted to Pinterest 50 times, seemingly sourceless. Google image search can certainly be an adventure.

If anyone has any advice to offer on the photos, I'm all ears, anyone who knows of a collection or something. I do have the one from the BBC classic who site Marco Polo gallery with 20 images, and two extra images from the Hartnell gallery on the same site. These are some I found to be cropped pretty heavily in some cases, the original originals have to be somewhere, right?

keithbk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not certain which photos you obtained, but there were several published in "The Doctors: 30 Years of Time Travel" (Adrian Rigelsford) and "Doctor Who: The Sixties" (Howe-Stammers-Walker).

I own Who North America, the Doctor Who store outside of Indianapolis, Indiana.

keithbk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
marcop10.jpg

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@keithbk Thank you, that's great! Gives me some new leads. If I end up going for physical books I'll absolutely get them from your store. I don't think I've seen either of those two photos before, I might need these!

Regarding Loose Cannon, I'm looking at the reconstructions I can find but if possible I'd like to find all their sources rather than try and pull from their videos directly, to get around avoidable loss of quality. Still should be really useful as a guide.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like Whitaker and Chibnall are both out after this upcoming season, a "6 part event serial" and "3 specials", so 9 more episodes. Disappointing, I feel like they never make enough.

Why is Doctor Who so few and far between, post-Davies? Did everybody get used to Moffatt's terrible scheduling and just stick with it? And something about Chibnall leaving after one Doctor is frustrating. Giving up, maybe?

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This leaves the new showrunner with the 60th in his or her first year. That's pretty crazy.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I'm definitely not going to push for the show to be cancelled just because I may not have liked a storyline or two. There was absolutely nothing done in the show that the showrunner can't just completely ignore if they choose to going forward. Hopefully they get somebody in that will liven the show up abit, as Chibnall is definitely a tad drab in tone. An experienced and known actor cast in the role may be a nice boost and change of pace for the show that it needs right now so I'm all for it if it helps in the grand scheme of things, but honestly, I just want a good actor that is not just going to do a Tennant impersonation.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like the rumors were true. As much as I love Troughton, its good to have another Hartnell animated and hopefully more in the future. Its great that we're getting so many stories "completed" after such a long period without anything. I really don't mind if there are liberties taken with these animations as there are always the recons for the purists, and this is a great way to experience classic doctors for younger fans.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love seeing these completed stories. I still have my fingers crossed that one day they will do the complete Dalek Master Plan.

There was a graphic novel made for charity that covered the whole 12 part story, but unfortunately the links to it were taken down due to a rights issue. I'm not sure if I should be sharing it or not as I still have the PDF downloaded from when it was live.

Last edited:

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really don't mind if there are liberties taken with these animations
What liberties? I think I remember seeing that they had inserted a poster of a newer Doctor in the background of one of the animated stories but I don't know of any other examples, and I haven't actually watched any myself.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What liberties? I think I remember seeing that they had inserted a poster of a newer Doctor in the background of one of the animated stories but I don't know of any other examples, and I haven't actually watched any myself.
The Macra are very much not what you'd find in a low budget 60s BBC television serial. Some bits are cut because they're too difficult to animate. Things like that. The newer animations are treated like completely new productions rather than reconstructions. But that's why the telesnaps are included.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points

Going off what Handman said, some of the creature designs have been altered to better realize the intentions back in the day of what couldn't be achieved on Who's meager budget. Likewise, the sets on some releases (particularly Fury from the Deep and seemingly the upcoming Galaxy 4) have ditched the cramped spaces of Lime Grove and the BBC for bigger realized sets and far less catastrophic environments. Fury didn't quite work as part of the reason why a base under siege story works is the feeling of the walls closing in. Galaxy 4 was supposed to be outdoors, however, and based on the surviving episode we have, this seems to much better achieve this setting than the BBC studio could do in 1965.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, removing the claustrophobia from a Troughton story is a weird creative decision that goes against everything that made it work in the first place. They have no idea what the original team would have done had they more resources, but I can tell you the story would have been executed very differently with the choices the animation team did. So what we have is the audio of a story that made very different choices from the visuals that accompany it. It's bizarre.

Top Bottom