• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I imagine far less filler going on, tighten up the timeless/division arcs etc.

Bradley Walsh will still be around despite rumours he'd be leaving...unless he's only recurring.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really hope Jodie stays on for another season after this, my biggest frustration with this show is how little of it gets made. She already had shorter seasons than the Doctors before her. If the seasons are gonna stay this short they could at least buck the 3-season turnaround trend, so we end up with a comparable amount of episodes! Fingers crossed.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I feel like we're still getting to know Jodie it'd be a shame if this is her last season. Capaldi and Smith's Doctor's went through so much during their time, that when they left it felt like a good time but Jodie's Doctor feels like she's still breaking into the role.  Hopefully she gets a full, Covid-less season to end on and showcase what she wants.  Of course, if the ratings don't improve she may end up like poor Colin Baker doomed to leave the role too soon.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some holes in my collection are closing. I finally found some Matt Smith specials I was missing on Blu-ray for a price I found acceptable. I now own all of the televised show from Paul McGann through Matt Smith on Blu-ray. It was a pain to get even this far in the quest for a complete collection, and I blame BBC. But I digress.

Literally just checked Amazon and the Series Twelve Blu-ray is ten bucks (if you are in region 1 and you want this season go now before the price goes back up) so I grabbed that and a used copy of series 11 ( $25 approx ). So I'm just missing Resolution and the whole Capaldi era which looks to be going through a wave of high priced scalpers at the moment.

On the bright side, by the time I have fully caught up, the classic missing episodes will almost all be animated, and the classic blu-ray season releases will almost all be available. Probably.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ aaaaand it's pre-ordered! :)   I was getting a little worried with the big gap since the last set that they weren't going to do any more and/or covid had impacted the project.  IIRC that Pertwee vs Delgado series was one of the best ever.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The trailer for Revolution of the Daleks drops this weekend on November 29th

Youtuber Ace Creeper tweeted out spoilers about the upcoming special sourced from SFX Magazine, but they weren't supposed to be made public yet, so he's had to remove them.

https://twitter.com/acecreeptwo/status/ ... 1412458498

According to those who saw Ace's now deleted tweets, here is what is exclusive to SFX Magazine

The special is 70 minutes long
This is Bradley Walsh and Tosin Cole's final episode as Graham and Ryan
Chris Noth returns as Robertson from "Arachnids In The UK"
Dame Harriet Walter will guest star

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I've just found 1 of the most bizzare Doctor Who editing projects ever.

If your familiar with BabelColour's the 10 doctors (a massive mashup with the first 10 doctors that will be recieving an update next year), somebody tried to do that with the unoffical doctor's.

Sadly, the editor's editing skills are nowhere near as good as BabelColour's. Still, a verison of the 10 doctor's with unnofical doctor's is an interesting one.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
The special is 70 minutes long
This is Bradley Walsh and Tosin Cole's final episode as Graham and Ryan
Chris Noth returns as Robertson from "Arachnids In The UK"
Dame Harriet Walter will guest star

I've now seen these spoilers in several places looking through Google News, avoid reading Doctor Who articles if you don't want to know anything. I read them because I was curious and didn't mind in this case. Normally I'd avoid like the current plague.

So either leaked spoilers are now being widely reported or it's officially being reported and BBC doesn't consider them spoilers, but I would, in the same sense that I'd rather not know ahead of time that Cybermen are going to be in an episode if that episode treats it as a surprise (The spoilers have nothing to do with Cybermen).

On the plus side I read an article where Jodie said she hasn't considered leaving yet. I hope her answer is the same after filming a season in the pandemic. I know that's selfish of me, but I won't throw a fit if there's more change, it happens.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wouldn't think the pandemic would change her feelings toward Doctor Who. She would be facing the same situation no matter what she was filming.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Convinced my wife to try Britbox. Now I have almost all of Classic Who at least available to watch, if not on my shelf. I think I'm gonna try to go through it all in order, over time. I recently got all the way through listening to the missing Marco Polo, and it really sparked some interest in the original run for me. This has been a goal for a while and I'm pretty excited.

Gotta figure out what's missing from the service, though. I saw that Power of the Daleks is on there but not sure how many of the animated stories are available, or if they're saving the new ones till later to boost disc sales or something? I would understand if that's the case but honestly don't know yet. Plus the stories that haven't been animated yet wouldn't be on there so I'll still have to figure out the best way to consume them.

Is this just an app for the US or is it available elsewhere?

Edit: found some of my own answers.
Season 1 has no Reign of Terror, even though its animated episodes were done in 2013 and it actually has multiple surviving live action episodes. Also no Marco Polo, even in recon form, which I expected. Season 2 has no Crusade. Season 3 is missing considerably more, it only has the Ark, the Gunfighters, and the War Machines. It seems like for Hartnell, if a story has missing episodes, that story is not on this service at all. Kinda disappointing, but I'll make do.

The app is also available in the UK at least (idk about other countries) but the episode selection is wider across the pond apparently.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
60s Who is one of my favorite eras of the show, up there with Capaldi.  Glad you're giving it a look.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
60s Who is one of my favorite eras of the show, up there with Capaldi.  Glad you're giving it a look.

Just got through The Edge of Destruction, and so far it has one of my favorite moments, the final scene where the Doctor talks to Barbara alone, he apologizes, thanks her, calls her valuable, and is generally very sweet. I knew there was a turning point for the first Doctor going from "grumpy trickster" to "explorer grampa", and that people say he had a "subtle" arc. But I feel like this was very direct, written right into the text (so forget even having to look for subtext). That scene feels so genuine and for lack of a better term, modern, I am really impressed.

The story is slow like I guess most of classic Who is, but holds up really well today, about as well as the first episode of An Unearthly Child. There's something wrong with the TARDIS and its travellers, and with the doors left open in the middle of space, they're starting to become paranoid that something has gotten inside it, and maybe inside one of them. Recommended if you liked the modern Who episode "Midnight".

Thank you for coming to my beat poetry night. Shaba-doo-BAH!

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's something about those early years where the show was still finding itself and really deciding what kind of show it wanted to be where there was so much creativity and innovation.  Its a shame most of that era is gone, but hopefully once they finish animating the missing Troughton episodes in a couple of years they'll show some love to the Hartnell era.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So it's impossible to watch Hartnell without noticing he flubs his lines pretty frequently, due to how the show was shot. But I think I have a solution for this, for fan editors.

You'll need your ripped source video and audio and the program Ebsynth to handle the video portion and you can Google search for a free AI voice remover for the audio portion.

See where I'm going with this? You can't cut his line flubs, that would cause jump cuts due to lack of footage. You can't just delete the lines in audio because his mouth is moving. You know what would be a lot more natural than flubs? Mindful pauses. Export a clip as wav and an image sequence.

For the video: Use Ebsynth, and possibly a photo editor to make keyframes from some of the images in the sequence, to basically keep the Doctor's mouth shut for portions of the footage where he used to be talking.

For the audio: Use whatever free online AI service you can find with good results. Split vocals from the audio and use the voice-removed track to fill the gaps where he was talking with consistent background noise.

Just an idea. A small part of a grand idea. Muahaha.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hartnell's flubs were sometimes scripted.  It was a part of his character.  The bumbling old man with a mysterious past.  The Romans especially uses it to comedic effect.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
Hartnell's flubs were sometimes scripted.  It was a part of his character.  The bumbling old man with a mysterious past.  The Romans especially uses it to comedic effect.

There are times it comes across that way, but there are other times he stops in the middle of a line and just repeats the whole thing from the start with a few crucial words flipped and he's really obviously correcting himself. He's not the only one who does it, he just is the most frequent victim of the circumstances, being the knowledgeable elder archetype on what was supposed to be an educational show, he got the most (and most difficult) dialogue. I can't hold it against him.

I just finished The Sensorites, so I'm through all of what Britbox has to offer for season 1. Quick reviews of each story so far in order:

1 An Unearthly Child
First episode is really great, and the next three are just ok but they set the tone the show will follow.

2 The Daleks
Seven episodes, this is essentially a film. Incidentally it was adapted into a film, which I've also watched. The film looks better in every way but its continuity is so changed that it cannot replace the episodes. I don't have much to say about the story except it's interesting how the original Dalek concept depended on the Thal people, they're absent from the modern show entirely. Daleks don't default to exterminating but instead to temporarily paralyzing people so their weapons seem like Star Trek phasers whereas nowadays they're like Star Wars blasters. I have more to say about the film than the show version, but that doesn't mean this story is bad.

3 The Edge of Destruction
A bunch of nothing happening in the Tardis had never been so interesting. It helps that it's only two episodes, not much filler.

4 Marco Polo
Despite having to find a reconstruction, this is pretty delightful. Not having the original footage has the accidental bonus of removing ethical concerns over yellowface makeup. Here's hoping it gets animated.

5 The Keys of Marinus
I loved it. Each episode is like a completely different adventure in a new location, kept things fresh the whole time.

6 The Aztecs
The Doctor falls in love on screen for the first time in the show. He encourages Ian to participate in human sacrifice. Barbara may be a God. Not my first time seeing this one. Reminds me of The Road to El Dorado but with time travelers as the con men.

7 The Sensorites
Started strong, but these Ood relatives are actually super boring. Six episodes feel stretched here.

8 Reign of Terror
Not on Britbox, I googled and found it streaming somewhere. French revolution, kinda boring and then the animated episodes are IMO terrible. Jerky motion, quick cuts, floaty eyes, nobody turns their head, the shadows in faces are so sharp you could cut yourself, and the lip movement is mostly really similar to a hand puppet, very unconvincing and slow. I preferred the still photo reconstructions of Marco Polo to this. I know this animation team didn't do any other stories so the other animations may be better. But this did not leave a favorable first impression.

Anyway, that's all of season 1. Feels good to have experienced the whole thing.

Top Bottom