• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who: Vengeance on Varos Widescreen Edition

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
full

Classic Who's Vengeance on Varos, converted to modern aspect ratio, with a new soundtrack.

Apart from being my favourite of Colin's era, and still very relevant to today, the DVD has the luxury of a studio-only soundtrack, so I include a new music soundtrack, as well as converting the material to widescreen.

Major alterations:

- Converting the aspect ratio to modern widescreen.

- New updated 5.1 opening and closing title music.

- Exterior shots of the surface of Varos have been replaced.

- The two episodes have been converted into one extended episode.

Significant cuts:

- The first TARDIS scene. This scene serves no purpose in driving the plot forward, and references the previous story, which is unnecessary for viewers of this edit.

- Sil's dialogue regarding zeiton 7 ore being used to drive space-time craft. This is likely a script oversight, since later everyone is either disbelieving or unwilling to accept Peri's claim that she and the Doctor are time travellers.

- Two shots of the TARDIS flying through space are added prior to two TARDIS scenes.

- Peri referencing the comparator (harking back to Planet of Fire), has been cut.

- The "technobabble scene" in the TARDIS has been heavily cut. We now open the scene with the Doctor re-starting the TARDIS energy levels.

- The guard being disintegrated by the laser has been cut, so that the Doctor is not seen as a murderer.

- The infamous acid bath scene is completely cut, as it doesn't fit with the Doctor's character.

- The opening of the execution scene, including the appearance of the Priest, is cut.

- The Priest reciting prayers, has been replaced with an alternative soundtrack.

- The Governor ordering the broadcast of the Doctor's execution to be paused, is cut. It undermines the Doctor's intelligence and how he knew the execution was staged, especially as he seems pensive *prior* to the Governor's televisual order.

- Sil's scream in response to the Governor stating he - Sil - has released him from the contract.

- A few moments of humour are cut back to tighten the tension and pace of the piece, largely from the Doctor, and Arak and Etta.

- All of the Doctor's scolding/insulting Peri has been cut.

- A few minor trims here and there to tighten up the pace and tension.

Special thanks to Dwight Fry for his massive input into the editing process, and for Last Survivor for getting the "anti-ghost" footage sorted for me.

Last edited:

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very excited. We need more classic Who injected into the IFDB's veins.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looking at the links he shared, I *think* I have managed to get the hang of it.
Awesome, good luck

This ought to be a fitting tribute to the serial's author Phillip Martin, who did die recently

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
UPDATE:

I've almost finished laying a new soundtrack, as well as making some trims here and there.

I have used part one credits for my edit, as part two only has the addition of the Priest in the credits, who is cut from my edit.

My next and final stage is converting to the widescreen format.

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is ready to be moved to the completed section.

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mods, can someone please move this thread to completed fanedits?

Top Bottom