• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who - The Caves of Androzani - Movie Edit - by Last Survivor

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TWjzKTP.jpg

Original title:  Doctor Who - The Caves of Androzani

Fanedit title: Doctor Who - The Caves of Androzani - The Movie Edit

Studios: BBC
Faneditor: Last Survivor 
Originally released: 1984
Fanedit release: July 2020 
Original running time: 96 minutes approx (not including beginning and end title sequences)
Fanedit running time: 93 minutes approx
Cut time: 3 minutes cut
Started edit: April 2020
Finished edit: July 2020

Synopsis and Purpose of Edit:

The first in what I hope is a continuing series of a fanedits which will see episodic Doctor Who stories from the classic era, fanedited into feature length movie style edits.  

The Caves of Androzani is a 4 part story which is widely considered to be among the very finest Doctor Who stories ever made.  It's not difficult to see why, with every main character fleshed out beautifully and a doom laden plot, the tone of which is rarely seen in the programme, resulting in a bonafide classic adventure which has lost none of its impact some 36 years later.  What's more, it rattles along at a heck of a pace, with director Graeme Harper making every shot count, to the point where one struggles to think what could be cut in such a fanediting exercise such as this.  

The intention here though, is not to trim lots of footage.  It's to present a movie style edit which can be enjoyed in one sitting without the need for cliffhangers and the 25 minute style episodic end and beginning credits.  Plus, this has been transformed from 4:3 ratio (standard TV for that period) to 1:85:1 ration widescreen.  I have attempted this as carefully as possible, going through every scene to try and ensure this looks as good as possible. 

Cutlist:

** New Colour grading added throughout edit **

- Only the opening credits for Part 1 and the end credits for Part 4 are maintained. All other opening and closing episodic credits are cut
- First Magma monster attack trimmed, in an effort to try and hide the monster more
- When Krelper tries to quit from Stotz's little gang, have trimmed the scene so Stotz does not try to drag and push Krelper to the edge of the cliff, whilst putting a suicide pill in Krelper's mouth.  Now the scene stops just as Stotz is holding a knife to Krelper's throat
- Slightly trimmed crossfade sequences as Jek's character is introduced
- Second Magma Monster attack heavily trimmed, again to try and keep any shots on the creature as a close up and not linger on the creature for any length of time.  Added some music from Roger Limb's score to smooth over transition to next scene
- As Jek and Stotz are meeting to discuss terms and The Doctor makes a sound behind them, have removed Jek's line of dialogue asking whoever it is to come out.  This is due to the fact that it's plain for all to see that it's The Doctor.  So now, as Jek turns around, he immediately knows it's The Doctor.  Added sound effect to make it more obvious that The Doctor is behind them
- Slightly trimmed scenes of Krelper and his colleague chasing and shooting at The Doctor.  This is just to try and make it more believable that all their shots miss

Special Features:

Audio Commentary by Last Survivor

Technical Details:

16:9 Anamorphic. MP4 
Mono
Software used: Vegas Pro 16, VirtualDub, Audacity, DG Index,  Xara Photo & Graphic Designer, DVD Fab

Fanedit Artwork by Sophie Welch

Special Thanks:
Sophie Welch 
BionicBob
Zarius
TM2YC
Malthus
jrWHAG42
musiced921
Hymie
The Warlord
and anyone else who has followed the edit on fanedit.org

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You posted some examples of the regrade (which looks great!) but could you share some examples of the reframing?

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
You posted some examples of the regrade (which looks great!) but could you share some examples of the reframing?

Of course asterixsmeagol... your wish is my command ;)  Here's a reframing example for one of the scenes in the edit.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It was great sadness that the great character actor, Maurice Roëves, has passed away at the age of 83.  Appearing in The Caves of Androzani as the shady gun runner, Stotz, he was a familiar face on TV in all kinds of programmes from The Sweeney, Danger UXB, Star Trek The Next Generation, North and South, Days of our Lives and A Touch of Frost.  He also starred in feature films such as The Eagle Has Landed, The Last of the Mohicans and the Stallone vehicle, Judge Dredd.  
dkyto2q.jpg

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
:(  A real shame, Stotz could very well have stolen the entire show were it not for Jek and a motivated Davison.

Quite eery that this should happen just as this edit is released.

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I look forward to watching this! Apart from all the other positives, this is arguably as pertinent and up-to-date as new Who. A timeless classic. Well done on all the hard work!

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
:(  A real shame, Stotz could very well have stolen the entire show were it not for Jek and a motivated Davison.

Quite eery that this should happen just as this edit is released.

Yeah, in any other story a character like Stotz probably would have stole the show, but in Androzani nearly everyone gets at least a good shot at the limelight ;)  Very eerie that Maurice passed away just as I release the edit.  May he rest in peace.

The Warlord said:
I look forward to watching this! Apart from all the other positives, this is arguably as pertinent and up-to-date as new Who. A timeless classic. Well done on all the hard work!

Thanks The Warlord... you've summed the story up perfectly.  I would argue that it's probably more up-to-date as new Who, but probably best I don't start talking about new Who ;)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Vworp! Vwoorp!! VWOOORP!!!"

Wait! What's that sound?

It's a new fan edit from Last Survivor materializing out of Time and Space!!!!

"The Caves of Androzani" is considered by many Whovians the best of the Peter Davidson era. So if it is so good, how does one fan edit it? Why you turn it into a movie of course! And what a fun romp it is!

The original is already a very lean, economical story machine, so LS has to be surgical in his cuts or one risks losing important emotional or character beats. About 3 minutes in total are cut... seamless gone are all the episode cliffhanger breaks, along with minor scene trims/rearranging and a de-emphasis on the cave monster. And of course, it would not be a LS edit without sound replacement. As one has come to expect, this is done to perfection with added music and sound fx (and removal of sounds).

To give it a film look, the story has been reframed 16x9. Since the original is Standard Definition, there is minor decrease in video quality due to zooming in for widescreen effect, but the video is still very watchable. Last Survivor also did some colour correction, which mostly works very well.

Then there is the audio commentary. I can not sing the praises on this enough. Honestly, it is getting to the point where I will down load a LS edit ONLY to listen to the commentary. As I have said so many times before, it is always a fascinating listen and usually better than most "professional" ones.

An excellent fan edit. A must watch for Who Fans!

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
"Vworp! Vwoorp!! VWOOORP!!!"

Wait! What's that sound?

It's a new fan edit from Last Survivor materializing out of Time and Space!!!!

"The Caves of Androzani" is considered by many Whovians the best of the Peter Davidson era. So if it is so good, how does one fan edit it? Why you turn it into a movie of course! And what a fun romp it is!

The original is already a very lean, economical story machine, so LS has to be surgical in his cuts or one risks losing important emotional or character beats. About 3 minutes in total are cut... seamless gone are all the episode cliffhanger breaks, along with minor scene trims/rearranging and a de-emphasis on the cave monster. And of course, it would not be a LS edit without sound replacement. As one has come to expect, this is done to perfection with added music and sound fx (and removal of sounds).

To give it a film look, the story has been reframed 16x9. Since the original is Standard Definition, there is minor decrease in video quality due to zooming in for widescreen effect, but the video is still very watchable. Last Survivor also did some colour correction, which mostly works very well.

Then there is the audio commentary. I can not sing the praises on this enough. Honestly, it is getting to the point where I will down load a LS edit ONLY to listen to the commentary. As I have said so many times before, it is always a fascinating listen and usually better than most "professional" ones.

An excellent fan edit. A must watch for Who Fans!

Bob, may I say a sincere thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review.  And anybody who has the stamina to not only watch the edit, but listen to the commentary too... I take my hat off to you mate ;)   It was a fun commentary to do, even if I had to restart the commentary after 20 mins due to a technical problem.  Still, I think it turned out okay.  Glad you enjoyed the edit and thanks again!

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tangelo1023, thank you very much for your review on this edit.  Really glad you enjoyed it and that the colour correction worked for you.  Cheers for taking the time to write a review - much appreciated!

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My sincere thanks to Morrigan for your very kind words in your review for my Caves edit.   I really couldn't wish for any nicer feedback than "The BBC occasionally tries Special Editions of these old Doctor Who stories, but this is the first time I've seen an actual improvement to a classic Who story. The movie format works perfectly, and allows the writing to really shine. The visual improvements are great, making this a pleasure to watch".  

As my favourite Who story of all time, that kind of feedback really does warm the heart of this faneditor.   Thanks so much and glad you enjoyed it.

thx113876

Reaction score
Trophy Points
5th Doctor was my fav I grew up with bit 4th I recall this when came out I am gonna enjoy this
PLEASE do more Classic Doctor Who Thank U

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
5th Doctor was my fav I grew up with bit 4th I recall this when came out I am gonna enjoy this
PLEASE do more Classic Doctor Who Thank U

Thanks thx113876. I do intend to do another classic Who at some point. Possibly Resurrection of the Daleks, complete with an alternate music score.

thx113876

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks thx113876. I do intend to do another classic Who at some point. Possibly Resurrection of the Daleks, complete with an alternate music score.
maybe you do a better version of 5 Doc since they messed up so much over the years and it was 45min eps
wow Resurrection of the Daleks cool

with all the Blu Ray sets with behind footage and lost stuff be neat to see people like you can do

a lot these eps were made into "movies" by PBS in 80s looked good but bad editing a lot this like what you did perfectly as a movie

what do you think Animtied lost eps there doing?

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@mrg5 cheers for taking the time to submit a review. Glad you enjoyed the commentary track too ;)

jacklite

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi, new to this site. Was wondering how to download these edits. I cant seem to find any links

Top Bottom