• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who: Asylum of the Daleks-A Fanedit

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asylum-of-the-daleks.png

I recently rewatched WhoFlix's edit of this episode, looking to see what he had done here that I could differently, he had used all five instalments of the minisode series Pond Life as well as the DVD exclusive Asylum prequel to create an extensive pre-title sequence. I came away from the edit thinking not all of Pond Life ought to have been used, particularly the nonsense with the Ood on the Loo and his housekeeping role, or the bits that led into Dinosaurs on a Spaceship

I made the decision to use the first and the last of the Pond Life shorts, in this case reversing them in order so as to create a brand new ending for the episode. The months that date the shorts can easily be interpreted as being part of a prior year and the early stages of the next, seeing as no actual year is specified.

The changes

-Added Pond Life episode 5. Removed credits at the end
-Titles now come after Amy says she needs The Doctor.
-Asylum prequel plays after the titles
-Narration and shots of the Dalek statue from the original pre-titles of Asylum have been cut
-First few moments with Oswin removed to omit producer and director credits
-Episode carries on as normal until we see The Doctor operating the console uttering the words "Doctor Who?"
-First episode of Pond Life plays

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A bit off topic, but what are your thoughts of the Whoflix edits?

I've found some to be a bit rough and he's well aware of that and some he chooses to go full on paying homage to other shows and even using Bond music to score a fight scene.  I found his outlines all pretty interesting to read until he got waaaaaaay too political after the announcement of Jodie and I actually felt like I had to take a step back.  He used his fan site to go on a harsh rant that of course he has a right to do since it's his own site, but damn did it turn me away from his work in general.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:

I've found some to be a bit rough and he's well aware of that and some he chooses to go full on paying homage to other shows and even using Bond music to score a fight scene.  I found his outlines all pretty interesting to read until he got waaaaaaay too political after the announcement of Jodie and I actually felt like I had to take a step back.  He used his fan site to go on a harsh rant that of course he has a right to do since it's his own site, but damn did it turn me away from his work in general.

Most of his work would never be approved by the academy, he gets by on idea and structure more than execution with me. I appreciate his write-ups, but you got the general sense he was self-destructing the more he focused on the series that he felt were 'too political' until he finally rage quit with Twice Upon A Time. I actually said on his comments section I was going to edit series 12 episodes eventually, and he wound up blocking my comment!

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
musiced921 said:

Most of his work would never be approved by the academy, he gets by on idea and structure more than execution with me. I appreciate his write-ups, but you got the general sense he was self-destructing the more he focused on the series that he felt were 'too political' until he finally rage quit with Twice Upon A Time. I actually said on his comments section I was going to edit series 12 episodes eventually, and he wound up blocking my comment!
It's gotten to the point where you need to ask for a public invite to get into the website (which I have, so if anyone wants any Whoflix fanedits, PM me) and if I ever get any of the blu-rays, I'm half tempted to do HD versions of his edits (with edits made so they fit in the canon).

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't dipped my toes into DW edits yet, but this one actually intrigues me. I'd like to see more Moffat-era edits that incorporate (some of) the shorts into the actual episodes.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
Zarius said:
musiced921 said:

It's gotten to the point where you need to ask for a public invite to get into the website (which I have, so if anyone wants any Whoflix fanedits, PM me) and if I ever get any of the blu-rays, I'm half tempted to do HD versions of his edits (with edits made so they fit in the canon).

I read an update saying he's thinking of lifting the invitation-only requirements. It's a shame he reacted to that one Youtube video that talked about his work in the way he did....he essentially guilt-tripped the creator of the video so much he wound up accepting an invite just to kind of apologise or at the very least clear the air.

It'd be great if you could re-create his edits, and make them more canon compliant.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
wilhelm scream said:
Zarius said:
musiced921 said:

I read an update saying he's thinking of lifting the invitation-only requirements. It's a shame he reacted to that one Youtube video that talked about his work in the way he did....he essentially guilt-tripped the creator of the video so much he wound up accepting an invite just to kind of apologise or at the very least clear the air.

It'd be great if you could re-create his edits, and make them more canon compliant.

In your opinion, what is the best and worst of his edits? The best IMO, is his Five Doctors edit. His worst is whenever he did an edit for political reasons.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
Zarius said:
wilhelm scream said:
Zarius said:
musiced921 said:

In your opinion, what is the best and worst of his edits? The best IMO, is his Five Doctors edit. His worst is whenever he did an edit for political reasons.

Five Doctors is a good one, also love his Seeds of Doom and Androzani cuts, and how he salvaged Silver Nemesis. Another good one is when he inserted the Disney Time link with Tom into Creature From The Pit. Very creative. I can't nail down a specific "worst" just yet, I'm not fond of edits which takes half of the episode length to get to the titles (his Asylum edit and Dalek Invasion of Earth)

Top Bottom