• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Do any of you WATCH your own fanedits?

But you'll never be a true fanditor until you put your work out there for everyone to enjoy or ignore. i mean, why join a faneditng community and make fanedits if you're not gonna share them.

I can live without being a true faneditor, I guess. I joined fanedit.org cause you guys are doing terrific, terrific stuff, and I'd like to share and learn techniques, methods, philosophy, etc., etc. Not to mention, it's a great way to keep your energy up when you're just bloody tired of your project.

(As for Superman, the only things I liked about the Donner films were Reeve's portrayal and Hackman's line delivery. And I never even finished the Singer film, so I wont be going there. And the less said about Star Trek the better. The only watchable film is Khan, which is darn near perfect, so why bother? )

No one has taken a swing at Supergirl as far as I know...

DoctorM said:
No one has taken a swing at Supergirl as far as I know...
Do you think a fanedit can redeem this movie?

I dunno. I haven't seen it in like 20 years.
Btw, I can't believe Helen Slater is still hot.

It's the same for me as DoctorM said - it takes some time for me to be able to watch my fan edits - or indeed the film it was based on - again. Because I've cut and trimmed and re-edited and snipped constantly in my spare time, I need some breathing space.

When I was attempting a Battle Royale edit I couldn't watch the film for months. Same with Hot Fuzz.

Of course I watch my own fanedits! I'm not doing them for my health. ;) I have watched all mine at least once and prefer them over the originals. I plan on waiting at least a year before watching them again to see if I still enjoy them. Who knows, maybe I'll hate my edits after some time has passed.

I always watch my fanedit and think it's a significate improvement over the released version.

There have been times that I stopped editing a certain movie simply because I thought that my changes had little effect on the final product. If it doesn't significatly improve a movie in my eyes, there is little reason to make it.

Extended editions are another story, though.

I always watch my own fanedits. I thought that was the whole point of making them. I've downloaded a few that are pretty cool, too. Like Darth Editous' "A New Hope" fanedit. Right now, I'm eyeing some preservations.

I make my fan edits for me, so I better be able to watch them. :)

Of course, I haven't actually released any yet, so there's really only me and one or two friends who could watch 'em. ;)

When I finally get to releasing some, it'd be nice if anyone appreciates them, but that'd really only be icing for me. The main person I want to please is me. Self-gratification is da best! :D

It depends. When I edit (which, I still do, I just don't release) it's generally to practice, not nessescarily to make a version to watch over the original. When I do edit, I do take stuff out that I felt could be taken out and not ruin the movie. However, if there was something in a movie that absolutely bugged the hell out of me, then yes, I would probably edit that, and lock the original away. It all depends.

When it comes to edits other people have made, it depends. I watch Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2 about the same as I watch Kill Bill X. It just depends on what kind of mood I'm in, I guess. ;)

As others have said, I edit for myself to improve (totally subjective of course) or change/play around with a film that I feel could result in an interesting piece of work. So I most certainly watch my and other fan editors projects, probably more so than the originals (if they tickle the right spots)
Thus, for me, to release it in to the wild is simply the asking of the question..."Is this as interesting for others as it is/was for me"

Or something like that.

all movies i edit are because i believe i can make them better. but as a lot of other people have said i simply cannot watch any edit i finish for at least three or four months afterwards as i havwe the damn thing imprinted on my brain and i cant disentagle myself from the actual edit process.

i have finally managed to watch my Highlander edit and i really enjoyed it or at least i didnt consider turning the movie off as it was so bad (which is what i did with the original)

i have also watched Jay & Silent Bob extended and i laughed my arse off, haven't had a chance to view Big trouble in Little china yet but i know from viewing the original my extended is, again, my preferred version of the movie.

I just finished up a project, and after watching it again today (second time I've watched it) it wasn't that bad. Once I got into it, I forgot that I had even removed stuff from places and it flowed pretty well, possibly the first edit that I'll choose over the original 100% :p

Probably I'm just on a high, because last night I had two or three of those "inspired" type of editing moments (when things just click so well, and in a way you never would have thought), but I'm starting to rethink my skepticism a little bit. Maybe all it will take is a few months, like some of you have said.

it all depends. certain edits of mine are just a different look at the original, and i watch whichever one i feel like in the moment. however, certain others i only watch my edit.

For instance, i rarely watch my edit of king kong, even though i enjoy it a lot, but i never reach for the original version of Alexander or Pirates of the Carribbean over my personal edit.

Back
Top Bottom