• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Do Androids Dream of Funkadelic Sheep? (Blade Runner Grindhoused)

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do Androids Dream of Funkadelic Sheep?
(Blade Runner 1982 Grindhoused)
an alternate cut by krausfadr

full

Original Runtime 1h 57m including end credits
New Runtime 1h 32m including end credits (not including fake trailers)

Story:
In a funkadelic future Los Angeles, a jaded ex-cop hunts down three androids designed to look human, and he isn’t too concerned about killing a human by “mistake.” Whoopsie.

Intent:
Convert Blade Runner 1982 into a “bad” Grindhouse flick from the 1970’s using the official Blade Runner Workprint, Blade Runner International version, deleted scenes, and behind the scenes footage.

Technical:
Edited in 1080p but released in 720p
Because of the high grain level used to grindhouse this edit, it requires more bitrate to maintain good visual quality. With all the added grain, 1080p in high quality would have been a huuuuuge file size over 40GB, and I'm not going to make a file that size available because of low to no demand for it.

For those who prefer very high visual quality, I recommend the HQ version which is 13.3 GB. It has a beautiful (albeit grindhoused) picture with no significant blocking or other artifacts present.

I understand that for some people, smaller filesize is the most important consideration so I made a LQ version which is 6.9 GB. This version will have some slight blocking artifacts in darker, flat areas of the picture. It will also have occasional artifacts that cause the background area grain to "swim" and for patterns to appear when the picture is all dark.

For many people the LQ version will look fine. If you do give a review, keep in mind the visual fidelity of the HQ version should be near perfect, and the LQ version is not my recommended version.

5.1 Surround
HEVC 10bit

Methods:
SD footage upscaled to 1080p in Topaz, converted to Prores
Source films converted from HEVC to Cineform using Hybrid
Color grading and editing in Resolve
VFX in Resolve and Premiere
Additional audio processing in Audition
Exported to Cineform and encoded in Handbrake

Content:
Blade Runner was not for small children. Neither is this. It has some added sexual content (but nothing graphic). It’s a “hard R” just like the original.

Major Changes:
  1. The film now has a grainy old Grindhouse look with film dirt and glitches
  2. Added two fake trailers for Revenge of Luke Starbreaker and Sandy… Killer Alien
  3. Nearly all the musical score is replaced with 70’s vibe music and scoring
  4. Scenes rearranged and badly cut as needed for bad dramatic effect
  5. New subtitles to add humor
  6. Scenes recut for humor and various gags
  7. JF Sebastian’s toy companion has a new voice and dialogue
  8. Deleted and alternate footage is added throughout, changing the feel and tone
  9. Various cuts made to speed up the very slow tortoise pace
  10. Deckard is depicted in a more negative light, a sloppy, crude jerk
  11. Deckard’s bad narration is embraced and expanded
  12. Zhora (a.k.a. Miss Salome) isn’t a Replicant. She’s just a stripper that Leon apparently likes.
  13. Added an alternate Unicorn dream
  14. Deckard and Rachael deleted love scene reinstated
  15. Pris is not the best acrobat
  16. Rachael is extra weird and a little creepy
  17. Blood VFX added when Leon is shot
Sources:
Main Feature: Blade Runner
Fake Trailers: Star Wars A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and Grease.

Chapter List:
Own the Source
Coming Attractions
Holes in Holden
Messy Blade Runner
Be An Asshole, Deckard
A Very Artificial Owl
Leon's Nice Hotel Room
That's Not Ice Cream
Rachael The Stalker
General Tickle Time
A Jerk Like Taffy Lewis
Target Practice
More Target Practice
Pris Looks Better
Sexy Unicorn Time
Metaphysics
I Want More Life, Fucker
Bringing Backflips to a Gunfight
He's COMIIIIING
And Then He Was Dead
Special Rachael

Last edited:
I like it. Are you going to possibly add a bit more dirt and hair to the film?

That’s my base layer of minimal dirt. It will get dirtier in some parts/scene changes with more moving lines and white dirt.

Such a cool project! And those subtitles were funny stuff!

As Blade Runner was on my list too, there's a chance there will be eventually two Grindhouse edits of it (but not that soon), I may also end up with only some kind of extended edition (35mm style) instead.

Am I correct that the deleted scenes are only available in SD?

Last edited:
As Blade Runner was on my list too, there's a chance there will be eventually two Grindhouse edits of it (but not that soon), I may also end up with only some kind of extended edition (35mm style) instead.

Am I correct that the deleted scenes are only available in SD?
The full deleted scenes are in SD. They are in pretty good shape though and can be reasonably upscaled to 1080p. Some small parts of the deleted scenes, while still in SD, do look a little better in the documentary, Dangerous Days.

The full deleted scenes are in SD. They are in pretty good shape though and can be reasonably upscaled to 1080p. Some small parts of the deleted scenes, while still in SD, do look a little better in the documentary, Dangerous Days.
I own the 30th anniversary edition US Blu-ray, which features all 5 versions of the film on Blu-Ray (I hear the 25th anniversary edition was better, though, but still). If you seek it out, you might be able to lessen your time on the upscaling.

That aside, this edit looks like it's gonna be wonderful!:giggle:

Because of the high grain level used to grindhouse this edit, it requires more bitrate to maintain good visual quality. With all the added grain, 1080p in high quality would have been a huuuuuge file size over 40GB, and I'm not going to make a file that size available because of low to no demand for it.

Star Beast on 22 GB blu-ray looks just fine to me, no one was complaining about the 7GB mp4 either (I would, but I was not going to watch it anyway :p).

Any list of musicians whose music is used?

Last edited:
Star Beast on 22 GB blu-ray looks just fine to me, no one was complaining about the 7GB mp4 either (I would, but I was not going to watch it anyway :p).

Any list of musicians whose music is used?

My experience with working on my Star Wars fanedits is that anything past 20gb is gonna scare people away from watching the edit. Nowadays, I aim for somewhere between 5-10gb for the final release (maybe more than 10 if the file needs to be that big).

Whatever the case, I don't think it matters too much for the average fanedit watcher. I just watched The War of the Stars (or A New Hope Grindhoused) a few days back, and the file I had was only 4gb in size! I still enjoyed it regardless on my 1080p HDTV, and if my experience is any indication, people will enjoy it whether the quality is great or not (Unless, of course, the quality is so appalling that it distracts you. Like a VHS sourced movie or some highly compressed SD YouTube videos. I doubt that's going to be an issue for this edit, though).

I agree. For the most part high quality doesn’t matter to the average viewer. But there are some viewers who don’t like the artifacts and ask me for a higher quality file.

For the music, there are a lot of artists used. Here are some:

The Carpenters
Dazz Band
Earth Wind and Fire
Diana Ross
The Bee Gees
Chic
Ides of March
Fabrizio Caveja
Stelio Cipriani

My experience with working on my Star Wars fanedits is that anything past 20gb is gonna scare people away from watching the edit.

That's the standard size I am aiming for (for my own needs, cause I burn all of my edits on BD). I do not share it because no one seems to be interested anyway :p

About re-scoring - does Blade Runner have a clean/mostly clean central channel? Alien was about 80% (or even more) clean, so it was quite easy to re-score.

Last edited:
About re-scoring - does Blade Runner have a clean/mostly clean central channel? Alien was about 80% (or even more) clean, so it was quite easy to re-score.
Seems like it,

Back
Top Bottom