• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Disney to pull movies from Netflix

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Does it hurt the company financially in any way to not include certain movies? I just really want my Black Cauldron. Sure I can watch it through other means, but the same could be said about all the other content on there that I care about. It's the sake of convenience.
Anyways, I have no idea if I'll be getting this streaming service or not. I really want to, but at same time I still want to subscribe to DC's. I should probably take a look at your spreadsheet, there may be some gem I didn't think of that will make this worth it.

It's pretty likely they'll rotate their movie offerings, Black Cauldron will probably be in there at some point. I haven't seen a streaming service yet that stuck with their initial catalog forever.

I'd really like to see an uncut version, it'd be a great time for them to put the work in finally, Katzenberg's long gone.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, I forgot about the original content, yeah I'm definitely getting this.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I doubt Black Cauldron will be there anytime soon.  It doesn't have an HD master, far as I can tell.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Does it hurt the company financially in any way to not include certain movies? I just really want my Black Cauldron. Sure I can watch it through other means, but the same could be said about all the other content on there that I care about. It's the sake of convenience.

It may not be a matter of hurting the company financially to not include certain movies. I wonder if it has something to do with bandwidth or not having enough room on their servers for everything, so they're going to sacrifice some of the lesser lights. Mind you, I'm not enough of a computer guy to know whether or not that's true or if it even makes much sense. I'm just throwing a theory out there.

(And, sure, one could say that Disney has enough money to buy as much bandwidth and servers as they want. But when the service hasn't launched yet and they haven't made a dime off of it, there must be some limit to where they say, "This is enough to test it out for now." And in this case, "enough" still means hundreds of movies and thousands of TV episodes.) 

Of course, it could very well be as addiesin said about rotating their movie offerings. It's funny, because I don't think that was ever part of the original design of streaming services. I think the idea was that Netflix would have all the old stuff and then they could bring in more subscribers with newly released content. But because so many studios were fussy with what could and couldn't be on streaming services and for how long, audiences have gotten used to the idea of content being yanked for no good reason. Even with complete control of their library, I could see Disney doing the same thing, unfortunately. But there's no confirmation of that yet.

And as for original content: Yeah, The Mandalorian alone might be reason enough for me to get this! :)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, hard to believe it’s been over a year since I posted in this thread! (Is there a way to change the thread title so that it includes "Disney+"? I can't see an editing option for that.)

I thought for sure I would have posted when Disney+ was first released in the fall early (in the Netherlands, I think?). News sites were flooded with all the content they found there, assuming that the exact same lineup would be available once the service arrived in the U.S. in November. I got caught up in that idea myself. Of course, that’s a different region, so naturally there have been a lot of variations between that and what we actually got. But we still got a lot.

We got most of the Disney Animated canon, with only a few holdouts due to rights held by other services (Tarzan just got added last month). Some understandably speculated that The Black Cauldron wouldn’t be there, but it was on the service right from the beginning. 

We got most of the Star Wars movies and TV shows, with the rights to Solo being held up until earlier this month. And The Mandalorian was fantastic, as expected.

We got most of the MCU movies, with (again) some rights being held up elsewhere. (Endgame was there at launch, but oddly not Infinity War.) Of course, Universal's Hulk movie(s) and Sony’s Spider-Man movies aren’t there. But what’s most interesting to me is the latest development on the Marvel movie front.

At launch, there were no non-MCU movies from Fox on the site. I figured that was natural; Disney wants to protect its brand, and they don’t want people getting confused that some of the poorly-received Fox movies were in the MCU. I thought they’d end up on Disney-owned Hulu or something. But then, a few weeks ago, the 2015 critical and box office bomb Fantastic Four showed up on Disney+, heavily promoted on the site and not given any indication that it wasn’t part of the MCU for those who follow such things less closely. Thus, my theory went completely out the window. X-Men: Days of Future Past showed up yesterday, with a few more (but not all) premiering before the end of the summer. Here’s an article about the X-Men movies being added:

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a...text=First up is X-Men,the service on July 10.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, I blathered on so long, I felt the need to make a separate post to give everyone a moment to breathe. :) I wouldn’t have to post so much now if I had been updating this thread all along! (I would probably like to come back to it for posterity at some point and see what I thought at the time, hence updating all the backlog of news.)

We got all of the Pixar movies from day one (I think) and all of the Pirates of the Carribean movies (although Stranger Tides has disappeared for the time being due to pre-existing deals).

We got most of the Muppet movies except for the ones owned by Sony. Sadly, due to music rights issues, it’s unlikely that The Muppet Show will ever get added. The Muppets’ Wizard of Oz is also missing, but to be fair, I’m not really bothered about that one not being there.

Much of the Disney Afternoon content is there -- both old and new DuckTales and the theatrical movie (although strangely the classic series doesn't start with the 5-part premiere, but instead shoves it into the middle of the series); Darkwing Duck; Goof Troop and A Goofy Movie; etc. Even the Gargoyles series is here.

It was hard to come across as many Fox movies as I thought there would be, but those are slowly getting added as well. The Sandlot and the Home Alone movies were there, but now they aren’t for a while due to (again) pre-existing deals, but Miracle on 34th Street remains on the site. The Dr. Dolittle remake with Eddie Murphy and its sequel are on the site, but not the 1960s original).Here’s an article on the missing Fox content:

https://www.etonline.com/disney-plu...one, Home Alone,which are no longer streaming.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sure, why not a 3-part post? LOL. Sorry, I don't intend to do this all the time. Like I said, just catching up.

The most surprising omission has been an almost total lack of shows produced by ABC Studios. It’s not surprising that Netflix-owned TV-MA shows like Daredevil aren’t there, but where’s Agents of SHIELD? Also surprising that shows like Once Upon a Time and even Touchstone’s family-friendly TV classic Home Improvement aren’t there. The only ABC show I’ve found so far is the 2015 Muppets series. 

Of course the focus has mainly been on new films and shows, but there are a lot of obscure offerings if you look around. We watched 1976’s Candleshoe a while back, and as I’m typing this, the site is suggesting 1964’s The Moon-Spinners to me, a film that I was only vaguely aware existed.

Some people have complained that their favorite old show or movie isn’t on the site (there’s a surprisingly vocal contingent that wants the 1985 one-season wonder The Wuzzles on Disney+), but I think much content will be added eventually (not all, but more than is currently there).

Many folks apparently expected to see the anthology series known under various names but most often called The Wonderful World of Disney on the streaming service. That’s definitely a benchmark show for the company, but many of the episodes were simply network TV airings of feature films available elsewhere on the site. I suppose they could show more of the unique content and specials offered, but it’s not likely that Disney will ever put decades’ worth of that show on the site so you can watch every episode, including the feature films cropped from widescreen and cut for commercials.

Intriguingly, Disney+ sent out a survey to many of its customers (but weirdly, not all--I never got one) to see if they were interested in edgier content appearing on the site--not R-rated material like Deadpool, but shows that push the further end of the TV-14 rating, such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer and How I Met Your Mother. While I like many of the shows and movies mentioned, they may not be a good fit for the Mouse House. They could risk diluting their brand if concerned parents don’t know for sure what’s safe and what isn’t on the site. But, hey, Hamilton just premiered on the site to much popularity and acclaim despite the rough language and violence, so what do I know? (There has been a bit of controversy about that, though.)

A possible solution to this would be stricter parental controls; while the kids’ account can be set up with restrictions, there’s nothing to keep a kid from clicking over to their parents’ account. Maybe the parents’ account could be password-protected or something. Not a big problem in my house since everyone’s over 18, but that’s one way to handle it for households with younger viewers.

Here’s an article on the survey:

https://screenrant.com/disney-plus-buffy-firefly-survey-adding-mature-shows/

Anyway, I’ve had the service since November and I’m pretty happy with it, especially at this price. There’s room for improvement, but hey, isn’t there always?

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The survey seems much more interested in parental control issues than quality control issues.  I wouldn't want to see Buffy streaming on Disney+ because the HD remaster is garbage and it's just better to watch it on DVD at the moment (where's the survey on a better remaster?).  But if they want separation of PG-13 content from kid-friendly content, they need to redesign their system, and give (for example) every account a checkbox that says show/hide PG-13 content in the account management portal.  People who want to watch Firefly can do so, and people who want to shield little Timmy from being exposed to Shepherd Book's nefarious strawberry-smuggling operation can also do so.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
a few weeks ago, the 2015 critical and box office bomb Fantastic Four showed up on Disney+, heavily promoted on the site and not given any indication that it wasn’t part of the MCU for those who follow such things less closely.

The Question is why would anybody that isn't junior want to watch ANY of the fantastic 4 movies?

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
TomH1138 said:
a few weeks ago, the 2015 critical and box office bomb Fantastic Four showed up on Disney+, heavily promoted on the site and not given any indication that it wasn’t part of the MCU for those who follow such things less closely.

The Question is why would anybody that isn't junior want to watch ANY of the fantastic 4 movies?

Imagine, if you will, a Fantastic Four fan who, by some dark miracle, knows absolutely nothing about these movies, jumping into them blind....

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tenor.gif

Top Bottom