• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Disenchantment (Matt Groening)

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's been out a couple of days now, but there's a new Matt Groening series on Netflix called "Disenchantment":

I'm not really certain how much of what's great about classic Simpsons can be accredited to MG, but the association was enough for me to check this out. 

I watched the first two episodes this evening and was pleasantly surprised. Some of the animation is a little clunky and the humour can be hit or miss, but I was laughing more often than not. The characters seem like they have potential. 

Anyone else seen it? What are your thoughts?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"I like war, but I don't love it." 

It's not bad, but it feels like it's still finding its footing a few episodes in. I'm feeling more and more Futurama though which is good.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
I'm feeling more and more Futurama though which is good.

The demon character feels like the "Bender" of the series to me.

I kind of keep expecting the professor to walk on screen and say "Good news everyone!". Alas, this doesn't seem like the running gag type. I've only seen two episodes, but the series seems to be going for something less formulaic than either The Simpsons or Futurama. I'm getting an ongoing narrative/world-building vibe.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's definitely more Futurama than Simpsons, which I like. I've only watched 3 episodes so far, but it feels like they are playing it too safe. I hope it improves, but I don't dislike it so far.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I finished it today. By no means perfect, but I think it has a lot of potential. The quality dips a bit in the middle, but the last 3 or so episodes were very surprising and have me looking forward to the next season.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's not great, but Futurama took a while to get its legs too so I'll give a second season a chance if they make one.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoyed the first season for all its flaws, but I just watched the first episode of season 2 and it feels like a big step up. Merriment was audible.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I loved Part 2 (which is actually the second half of the 20-episode first season order), but I feel like I should warn people of a couple things:

1. Because Part 2 was well into production when Part 1 dropped, the writers weren't really able to make adjustments based on the reaction to Part 1.
2. It's quite clear after Part 2 that any ongoing story arc stuff is mostly window dressing/loose connective tissue and the primary focus of the series is standalone adventures, so if you're one of those people who didn't like the "filler" in Part 1, you probably won't enjoy Part 2 much either, especially since the story arc stuff in Part 2 just continues to tease things out slowly rather than providing any big "answers."

Having said that, I thought most of the Part 2 standalone episodes were of higher quality than Part 1.

Looking forward to Season 2 (aka Parts 3 and 4) over the next two years! It'll be interesting to see how Part 3 is structured, since that'll be the first time the writers are really able to shape things based on reactions to Part 1.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
I enjoyed the first season for all its flaws, but I just watched the first episode of season 2 and it feels like a big step up. Merriment was audible.

That's good to hear! For me season one felt like a chore, an obligation fulfilled out of love for its SciFi sibling, Futurama. Then the last three episodes really started to click, it's like the production team either got their act together, or started to understand how to effectively utilize the different characters and relationships they'd set up.

I hope I find the same joy in the new season that you have.

Top Bottom