• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Dino Crisis - A Jurassic World fanfix

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Polish_20210612_153636768.jpg

Intention​

Jurassic World is my second favourite movie in the Jurassic Park franchise but I personally find it flawed in several ways.

Firstly, I seriously dislike the portrayal of its lead character, Claire. I really enjoy her arc but there is a a variety of instances that have misogynistic undertones. From her sister's insistence that she will "understand when she's mother" to the way the boys react to her compared to Owen and the various discussions of her relationship status. None of this is necessary to the plot and I find it odd that it's there at all. Claire is the operations manager of a billion dollar company but she's implied to be a failure because she choose not to be a mother. This edit aims to give Claire more agency and remove any undermining of her for her lifestyle choices and because of her gender.

Samples​

The following samples demonstrate how I minimised misogynistic or irrelevant plot points.

Next up there is a lot of bloat that adds nothing to the story in particular the kids parents divorce which goes no where. When compared to the really solid deleted scenes it is perplexing to me why the studio choose to keep it in. This edit cuts the bloat while reinstating all purposeful deleted scenes available on the blu ray.

Lastly, I am not a fan of the overly washed out colour grade of the film. This edit replaces it with a more contrasting less green tinted look. The deleted scenes were colour matched to the new regrade.

Colour Regrading Samples​

In the following .GIFs the darker, more contrasting image is the regrade.
20210523_173119.gif

20210523_173212.gif

Change list:
Dark Netflix style FE.org studio card added
Malthus Fanedits studio card added
Film now starts on the monorail
New titles added
Claire's phonecall with her sister is cut
Boys discussion of the divorce is cut
Boys by the river deleted scene added (52 sec)
Boys in the jungle deleted scene added (23 sec)
Claire and Owen in the jungle deleted scene added (2:28)
Claire and Owens kiss removed
Boys "no him" dialogue removed
Owen's "bad idea" deleted scene added (18 secs)
Claire's "no seatbelt" sequence cut
Boys "your boyfriend is cool" sequences cut
Minor trim for pacing during raptor fight
Boys "more teeth" dialogue cut
Rebuilt credits with consistent font

Original runtime: 2:04:13
New runtime: 1:59:55

Added content: 4:12
Cut content: 8:30

Last edited:
Special shout out to @morrigan for taking the time to preview the workprint of this. Thank you, I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Previewing other people's work is a great way to contribute to the community. Whether you're an editor or not a second pair of eyes is always valuable.

Could you DM me a link to your edit please? Sounds like a better version of the movie which I have some problems with. Thanks.

Could you DM me a link to your edit please? Sounds like a better version of the movie which I have some problems with. Thanks.

@MoviesGamesMusic If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Hi there!
I just finished watching your wonderful edit and published a review. I had one issue and one suggestion that seemed relevant here as well:
Regarding the deleted scenes - they are visually perfect, but there is a noticeable shift in the audio whenever we switch to a deleted scene. Is it just me? Is it fixable?

Regarding the name of the edit - I think it is not very informative and can be applied to each film in the series. My suggestion is to relate to the strong theme of control. Maybe 'Out of Control' or 'Freak of Nature'.

Hi @boazz750 thank you so much for your review and for the feedback. I'm very glad you enjoyed my changes. Your review mention one other aspect you'd cut, I too was torn with that but ultimately I felt it humanised Claire and acknowledged that her busy life is impacting her connection to her family. I felt that showing guilt was useful to her characters arc/growth.

As for the sound quality issues with the deleted footage; it is a known issue. @morrigan who previewed this highlighted it but they didn't feel it was significant enough to undermine the edit as a whole. As such I didn't try to rectify it as what is shown is simply the quality of the deleted scenes from the blu ray. However, since you've brought it up as well I'll revisit it and see if I can't boost the quailty in some way. I'll be quite honest, I'm not sure how exactly I'd go about doing that but if I can, I will and I'll publish a revised version.

For the record the name is an nod to one of my favourite video games. I intend to edit the sequels (Fallen Kingdom and Domination) in the future and will use Dino Crisis 2 and Dino Crisis 3 respectively. Is it the best name, perhaps not but it's the one I wanted.

Thanks again ✌️

Is the noticeable switch to deleted scenes to do with audio quality, or is it because you are switching from a surround track to a stereo mix?

In that case it's the mix-shift that's causing it to be jarring. Probably not too noticeable for someone watching on a stereo setup, but on a surround setup it would be very noticeable because suddenly everything is only coming out of two speakers and the dialogue is spread between your front LR rather than central. What you can do is send the main audio of the deleted scenes to the centre channel of your surround track, and then create some generic atmosphere to spread across the surrounding speakers. It can be tricky if you've got music going on, but it should work pretty well if it's unscored. I think @catferoze did a bit of this for their Covenant edit, and it worked nicely.

Edit: I'm assuming that your edit is in surround. If you mix everything down to stereo anyway, then it shouldn't make a difference and it might be more to do with audio levels. It's hard to say without seeing/hearing the clip and comparing.

The edit is mixed down to stereo. Personally I didn't notice the switch in quailty but I'll revisit it and see how it sounds on various set ups.

Hi @boazz750 thank you so much for your review and for the feedback. I'm very glad you enjoyed my changes. Your review mention one other aspect you'd cut, I too was torn with that but ultimately I felt it humanised Claire and acknowledged that her busy life is impacting her connection to her family. I felt that showing guilt was useful to her characters arc/growth.

As for the sound quality issues with the deleted footage; it is a known issue. @morrigan who previewed this highlighted it but they didn't feel it was significant enough to undermine the edit as a whole. As such I didn't try to rectify it as what is shown is simply the quality of the deleted scenes from the blu ray. However, since you've brought it up as well I'll revisit it and see if I can't boost the quailty in some way. I'll be quite honest, I'm not sure how exactly I'd go about doing that but if I can, I will and I'll publish a revised version.

For the record the name is an nod to one of my favourite video games. I intend to edit the sequels (Fallen Kingdom and Domination) in the future and will use Dino Crisis 2 and Dino Crisis 3 respectively. Is it the best name, perhaps not but it's the one I wanted.

Thanks again ✌️
Thank you for the detailed response :)
I was a bit torn about that scene as well, and I can definitely understand why you left it.
Regarding the audio issue - thank you for being 'on it'.
And regarding the name - in that case, how about Cadillacs and Dinosaurs? :)

Well well well I'm very pleased with the initial reviews for this edit. I'd like to say a big thank you to @boazz750 @SIUse and @AdvisorOk4636 all of whom have pointed out an audio discrepancy which I'm currently looking into. If any of you have time stamps that would be of great benefit to me as my version of the file plays absolutely fine. I wonder if it is an encoding issue or something else 🤔. I'll definitely be redoing the encode soon but I wish to explore all the potential sources before doing so. Either way I'm glad to see it didn't deminish your enjoyment of the project. If and when I resolve this issue please feel free to amend your reviews ✌️

Starting 1:24:49 till 1:25:12, is the scene where i noticed the audio issues/differences.

Starting 1:24:49 till 1:25:12, is the scene where i noticed the audio issues/differences.

Thanks. That was a deleted scene I reinstated and it seems that that is simply the quality of the original file from the disc. On reflection it does sound a little tinny but I honestly hadn't noticed until it was pointed out. I'm not sure I can do anything about that if that's how the original sounds.

Perhaps it would work if you add raise the mid-tones and a little bit of bass?

Thanks. That was a deleted scene I reinstated and it seems that that is simply the quality of the original file from the disc. On reflection it does sound a little tinny but I honestly hadn't noticed until it was pointed out. I'm not sure I can do anything about that if that's how the original sounds.
ah, the curse of the deleted scenes.. those blessed gifts which both give, and take. Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom