• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

DigModiFicaTion's Musical Expansions, Impressions & Obsessions (or the I review albums I've never heard or that I like thread thread)

What artist should I do a discography deep dive of next?

• Yes (listened to a few of their albums)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rush (never listened to any of their albums)

• Beastie Boys (never listened to any of their albums)

• Rage Against the Machine (listened to some of their albums)

• Finish up Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Incubus (my original favorite band)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm a bit set in my ways when it comes to music. I know what I like and I'm pretty content to listen to the catalogs of those bands on repeat. My taste in music is of course inspired by the music I grew up with and includes everything from Pat Metheny, John Scofield, Paul Winter to Yes, incubus, Dave Matthews Band, Mutemath, John Mayer, and more. I love soundtracks, world jazz, funk, fusion, prog rock, and some indie. Knowing that all the music I love was inspired by a lot of music I haven't ever delved into I thought I'd make a thread to chronicle my journey into expanding musical horizons and share the impressions I have based on that journey. I'll probably sprinkle it with tidbits of geeking out on the tried and true music too.

Table of Contents

Last edited:
I know I know, they're widely considered the greatest rock band of all time so how could I never have listened to their albums before. It was never played in the house growing up and peripheral attempts to listen to the albums always resulted in me moving on to something else. Well, here we go, I'm deep diving into Led Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin (1969)
  1. Good Times Bad Times
    I really like the grooves in this one, Plant's vocals really sound great during the first 45 seconds, but I didn't jive with the lyrics or the chorus. Page's guitar solo was great, especially those cascading/descending lines.
  2. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
    Fantastic guitar work here and Plant's vocals really shine. A tab bit too long for me.
  3. You Shook Me
    Not into this one at all. Basic blues structure which just isn't my thing, especially when it lasts for six and a half minutes. The organ was nice to hear though ;)
  4. Dazed and Confused
    I had to check that this wasn't the previous track when it started. Just not my thing musically or lyrically.
  5. Your Time is Gonna Come
    Starts out sounding like a Yes tune. Another blues song talking about some woman occupying Plant's heart. Just not feeling this one
  6. Black Mountain Side
    Nice guitar work here by Jimmy Page and the highlight of the album thus far for me, but I wouldn't say it's anything that I would feel compelled to return to or have a desire to learn how to play.
  7. Communication Breakdown
    I recognize this one. Fun riff and rhythms, but I just can't get into Plant's lyrics and vocals. The solo around 1:30 sounds like something I'd expect from Steve Howe
  8. I Can't Quit You Baby
    Another blues track that I'm just not feeling or hearing anything that stands out from other blues.
  9. How Many More Times
    I like the tone of the bass and guitar on this one and the riff/groove they create is tight. Plant's vocals really gel with the track here. The riff does get a bit redundant as the 2nd minute mark hits, but thankfully a breakdown occurs and Page gives an interesting solo for the ear. I still felt like the music wasn't really moving along here though. It kind of just stays in it's space, which I suppose is the point of the blues. Ultimately I did end up skipping through the track to see if I wanted to invest 8:27 in it.

Well, I tried to like it. I love the opening of Good Times Bad Times which has FANTASTIC guitar, bass, and drums work on it, but ultimately I just couldn't get into the blues of this album. I've never really been a fan of the blues and find myself getting bored with it's formulaic approach (I'm sure I just caused some ruffled feathers with that statement). That's not to say that I don't appreciate the incredible musicianship of blue's musicians, I just don't care for the lyrical focus and progression of the blues when it doesn't take chances or step outside of the box a bit. This album is just too straightforward for me as a blues album for me. Since this record is essentially a blues album, I'm just not digging it. 5/10

Last edited:

Led Zeppelin II (1969)
  1. Whole Lotta Love
    Now this is great stuff. Tight and I mean TIGHT groove. Everyone is in the pocket. There's precision but lots of space here too. The mid track breakdown didn't really work for me and I'd probably fanedit it to remove it, but the rest of this song is on point! Best Zeppelin track on this journey thus far.
  2. What Is and What Should Never Be
    Nice bass line and when the band drops in the energy is great. The vocal harmonies perfectly bring it back down to the original groove. This is fantastic R&B. Sweet guitar slide work mid track. I hear a bit of Good Times Bad Times in this one. This is basically the vibe that every current retro rock band is trying to nail. I dig this track.
  3. The Lemon Song
    Ok I'm starting to see why Page is on the top of the rock guitar mountain. John Paul Jones is killing the bass too with those lines and that tone. Killer grooves on this one. This is the kind of blues that I do like. I suppose it's got to have the movement and energy. This also has fantastic changeups in tempo which make it musically interesting. Did I mention how sweet those bass lines are and that tone?!?!? John Bonham's drumming is fantastic on this track and really gets highlighted in the space of the track during the breakdowns. I'd love to have Page's guitar sitting a bit more in the center of the track with a bit more volume. Great blues jam.
  4. Thank You
    Beautiful guitar intro and atmosphere in this one. Plant is starting to grow on me as a singer on this album. His vocal ability wasn't in doubt before, but he seems more settled in on this album and his lyrics have a greater maturity to them beyond the stuff on the first album. Great chordal progressions and musicianship from all parties here. And that organ really adds a great extra element.
  5. Heartbreaker
    5 songs in and this is turning into a killer album! I'm redundant by now, but man the grooves are so tight on this album. That shift after the second minute was a great, "what?!?" moment that worked great in this song. This song again shows their prowess of utilizing tempo to keep things interesting. Great blues rock here.
  6. Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)
    OK, this just keeps delivering sweet tight grooves. Just read what I wrote about the above songs, it's just as tight and good.
  7. Ramble On
    I feel like I'm rambling at this point. This album flat out rocks. Perfect time on the album to bring in the acoustic guitar to switch it up and my goodness.....ok just go listen to this album right now.
    THAT GROOVE!!!!!!!!
  8. Moby Dick
    Did I mention that you should LISTEN TO THIS ALBUM RIGHT NOW?!!?!?
    These riffs are breaking my brain they're so good. The end of the track's drum solo isn't personally my thing and I'd probably have not included it, but it's still a great track.
  9. Bring It On Home
    I didn't care for the intro of this track, but my goodness when the band rocks in, and I mean rocks in, around 1:45 they blow your head off with riff bliss. I think there's even some cowbell that comes in around the third minute.
This album is a masterpiece. The grooves are super tight. Everyone is in the pocket constantly. Page and Jones' riffs are tasteful and grab every groove in your body. The biggest difference between this album and the first is that I feel they figured out when to switch up the tempos and riffs before they became redundant and boring. They also kept the tracks mostly under 5 minutes which really helps with the overall energy of the album. Just a fantastic musical outing here. I'm sold on Led Zeppelin and can officially say that this album is one of the best blues rock albums of all time. 10/10

*Update*
So I gave the album another listen through and I found myself a little less wowed by it. I think it's moved down to a 8.5/10 for me. Good, just not what I initially thought or experienced.

Led Zeppelin III (1970)
  1. Immigrant Song
    I mean, come on. If you don't like this song you probably hate rock music.
  2. Friends
    Kind of a dark country/folksy vibe on this one that kicks into a progression that I'm sure the composer for Diablo listened to in writing the main theme. Eery, but orchestrated well.
  3. Celebration Day
    This song's sound was ahead of its time. It's almost cyberpunky. The eery vibe is definitely pervasive on this album. The guitar solo was tasteful and a reprieve from the frenetic intensity of the song. Just too much happening in a single space for me.
  4. Since I've Been Loving You
    Slow blues track, but the guitar work steps out just enough to keep me interested. and the organ sounds nice. Ultimately it sounds like a blues howler to me though.
  5. Out on the Tiles
    The opening riff sounds like a b-side cut of Good Times Bad Times. The guitar tone an bass just aren't jiving on this track. Plant's vocals also sound a bit odd in the mix. The drums sound nice though.
  6. Gallows Pole
    More of that country/folksy vibe. The progression isn't really that interesting and it never really expands during the 5 minutes of the track. Not really feeling this one.
  7. Tangerine
    Very mournful song. The 12 strings sounds great on this on this track, but it's way to melancholy for my taste. Lots of twang after the light and uninspiring guitar solo. Not my thing.
  8. That's the Way
    Nice chord work at the beginning of this track, but another melancholy track that lasts way too long for my taste.
  9. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
    The mix on this one is really bad. Plant is way to far in the background. Also not feeling this song with it's acoustic southern country/folksy sound.
  10. Hats off To (Roy) Harper
    See above.
Aside from Immigrant song, this one is a hard pass for me. 4/10

My taste in music is of course inspired by the music I grew up with and includes everything from Pat Metheny, John Scofield, I love soundtracks, world jazz, funk, fusion, prog rock, some indie, and LOVE soundtracks.

Given your stated tastes, I’ll put in a plug for my old guitar teacher. It sounds like he would be right up your alley.

Led Zeppelin IV (1971)
  1. Black Dog
    Oh good, the groove is back! This one does sound a bit disjointed and not as tight as LZ II, but a great track.
  2. Rock and Roll
    Another classic rock cut. A bit redundant, but fun.
  3. The Battle of Evermore
    Hmmmm. Lots of story telling and world building in this one, but I'm just not feeling it.
  4. Stairway to Heaven
    That transition at 2:15 is just beautiful, every transition in this song is beautiful. The guitar lines and solo are great. Plants vocal progression and the lyrics are hauntingly beautiful and relate to the human condition. Perfect song
  5. Misty Mountain Hop
    This song is making me chuckle. It's so playful and odd sounding for them. I don't especially care for it, but it's definitely a bit of fresh air for them.
  6. Four Sticks
    Not digging much of anything about this track. The guitar tone is a bit grating and extremely redundant (as is my use of that adjective).
  7. Going to California
    Probably the most gentle sound they have recorded up to this point. A very folksy hippyish sound.
  8. When the Levee Breaks
    Super iconic riff, but it plays for 7 minutes straight.....
I can hear a lot of 90's alternative pop and rock's genetic make up in this album. It's definitely not my thing, but better than LZ & LZ III. 6/10

Given your stated tastes, I’ll put in a plug for my old guitar teacher. It sounds like he would be right up your alley.

@Moe_Syzlak those are some tasty tracks :) That guitar tone is A+ Some of the lines remind me of Pat Martino. I'm not the hugest fan of saxophones, but the compositions are super groovy :) Thanks for sharing!

A great thread - i'll be subscribed and checking your progress ;)

Led Zeppelin were banned in my house when i was growing up :) - my Dad was a devout YES fan and for him there was always a rivalry between the two - i don't know if this was made up in his own loaf but he an arf go on about it...never understood rivalries which were mainly media driven - Beatles/Stones Oasis/Blur but i did when it came to Prince and Michael Jackson because well the little man wiped the floor with him.

In any case - i finally got to see Robert Plant in 2019, just before the lockdown. I had not listened to much of him over the years because of my institutionalisation towards Jon Anderson & Co - i listened to his album with Alison Krauss with her being the draw and my Mum used to listen to his big hit in the 80's 'Big Log' - that title still makes me chuckle. The gig was something i had my arm twisted into doing ...spare ticket going...but what nearly killed the deal for me was that Van Morrison was on the bill too and i could never fathom him either....but to be honest it was great - maybe a bit of live Music combined with beverages skewed my thought process towards enjoyment. As you would expect Robert Plant and Van Morrison both had amazing bands backing them up - Van Morrison pushed more towards a Jazz sound and Planty concocted mixture of new stuff and a few Zeppelin tunes. I wouldn't say i am now a convert but i don't feel that sense of disquietude anymore when i see him or hear Zeppelin tunes...psssst "Don't tell my Dad"

DigMod: Likes progressive rock
Also DigMod: Complains Led Zep tracks are too long ;)

I had this conversation with my daughter yesterday . I was talking about the Doors and how (for me) they are the only band i have in my collection where i can honestly say they have never done a bad track or one that i would skip. She looked at me and said but Dad "i can't handle the track "The End" it goes on for too long. This baffled me a bit as we have been listening to The Doors & "The End" since she was a kid. I think its the punk/goth/grunge phase she is going through at the moment...i just handed her my Ramones albums and told her to get on with it.

Oh & Dig - the rule is you have to give an album at least 3 or 4 listens before you right it off. Some of my favourite albums of all time have been slow burners.

I dedicate this song to my Daughter...i used to listen to this when i first met her Mother waiting at the train station as an 18 year old for her to come visit me at my flat...these long songs she writes off contributed to her existence

Last edited:
She looked at me and said but Dad "i can't handle the track "The End" it goes on for too long. This baffled me a bit as we have been listening to The Doors & "The End" since she was a kid. I think its the punk/goth/grunge phase she is going through at the moment...i just handed her my Ramones albums and told her to get on with it.

^^^ good album. I love Project Mersh as well.

And I stand by that :p Yes have songs that are super long, but they also hide 4-5 songs in that time frame and just mash them together in creative musical ways. Zeppelin just plays the same blues riff while Plant wails in the oddly mixed background for way too long. Stairway to Heaven is long, but it keeps it fresh by the progressive nature of the song. The other lengthy tunes they have just don't get there for me. I'm also fickle in that when I say I like prog-rock, I'm really saying that I like Yes :)

Oh & Dig - the rule is you have to give an album at least 3 or 4 listens before you right it off. Some of my favourite albums of all time have been slow burners.
I get that, but for me it has to be at least a 6.5/10 to come back to it. If I simply hate an album, it's usually because I can't figure it out or think it's musically wrong. I'll return to those, but if it's simply boring I won't go back for another round of it. The main reason I've never gotten this far with Zeppelin is because I kept trying to listen to them chronologically, which as you can see I can't really stand the first album. I'll probably try IV out again in the future, but I & III won't be entering my ears in the future.

I'm also fickle in that when I say I like prog-rock, I'm really saying that I like Yes :)
Ha! I like all sorts of prog rock from Zappa to King Crimson to Gentle Giant to Mahavishnu Orchestra to Tool, but there’s very little Yes that has ever spoken to me.

Gentle Giant are fantastic. I'm looking forward to Wilson's 5.1 remix of Free Hand.

Man - i haven't heard that album in years....i usually file them alongside the Talking Heads and The Crippled Pilgrims. I'm gonna have a relisten while i do some work ...cheers for the head nudge.
It’s my go to album suggestion when someone complains about long songs. To be fair, I have a smart playlist that eliminates all songs from my collection over seven minutes for when we have guests.

Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin (1973)
  1. The Song Remains the Same
    Great progressive rock feel to this one as it starts. The vocal mix and fx sound reminiscent to Elton John almost. The music is fine, just not caring for the vocals in this one. I can't really make out anything Plant is singing either.
  2. The Rain Song
    Really nice guitar lines here. I'm also liking Plant's vocals more on this one. A stripped down song with lots of emotion. The song also has a great gradual build that compliments and adds a depth to the composition.
  3. Over the Hills and Far Away
    This song is almost like the major key approach of the previous song. As usual, the guitars sound great and have a nice chordal movement. Plant's vocals again have shifted in how they sit in the mix at the beginning of the track. Then at around 1:30 he sits further back when the band jumps in. Kind of distracting. After getting over that fact I really like the rhythm on this one. Very catchy and my toes are definitely dancing to the rhythm. :)
  4. The Crunge
    Yep, that off rhythm is TIGHT! So funky and fresh. This could be a James Brown song. Definitely a stank face song :) Would love to hear more songs like this.
  5. Dancing Days
    I recognize that opening riff. Not feeling the vocals on this one at all. This feels a bit like a Rolling Stones song, and I've never been into that sound. Full disclosure I just ended up skipping through the song to see if it went anywhere or had a great breakdown then ultimately moved on.
  6. D'yer Mak'er
    Hmmm......no thanks
  7. No Quarter
    I wonder if there was something in the air that took them to this sound that they share with Pink Floyd. The music is ok, but I'm just not feeling Plant's vocals or lyrics.
  8. The Ocean
    Thank you for closing with a tight guitar and bass groove, but oh man I wish they'd just settle on one approach with Plant's vocals.....
Well, I didn't so much care for this one over all, but The Crunge is one of the stankier (and that's good) songs that I've heard and I'll definitely be adding it to my groove/funk mix. I did enjoy Over the Hills and Far Away and really liked the guitar/bass groove in The Ocean. An experimental rock album that just didn't work for me. 6/10

Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin (1975)
  1. Custard Pie
    Nice groove, but a bit too repetitive for it's own good.
  2. The Rover
    Just not connecting with any aspect of this song. Feels kind of like garage rock.
  3. In My Time of Dying
    Similar with the previous track. This almost feels more like an idea jam than a song to me.
  4. Houses of the Holy
    The riff here is ok, but after the thousandth time it gets old and uninteresting.
  5. Trampled Under Foot
    A bit more movement in this song, but it's another song that just pushes the same rhythm in your face without really going anywhere musically or lyrically.
  6. Kashmir
    This song is such a great showcase of Plant's vocals and lyrical prowess. I wish they had more stuff like this. Yes my constant complaint about redundancy could be said here as well, but the entire band is in such a tight pocket that it works. The band also has a great feel of when to add an embellishment or breakdown to keep it fresh and engaging. :)
  7. In The Light
    Eerie avant garde stuff here. A little too so for my taste.
  8. Bron-Yr-Aur
    Beautiful guitar arrangement :)
  9. Down by the Seaside
    Country. Ok. Nope. 😅
  10. Ten Years Gone
    Really nice guitar chordal progression and tracking. Another gem for Plant's vocals and story telling. Great song that builds on the strengths of each individual part of the band in a somewhat minimalistic way. Introspective, but good feeling.
  11. Night Flight
    Nice upbeat feeling to this one. Another perfect mix of the guitars/bass/drums. Plant's vocals have a very Rod Stewart feel to them here.
  12. The Wanton Song
    There's that great groove. :) And oddly yet another change in vocal mix and approach? Great musical progression in this one to keep that time groove fresh.
  13. Boogie with Stu
    Oddly funny. This feels like a western saloon evening.
  14. Black Country Woman
    Continuation of that Boogie feeling but in a stripped down way. Just not my thing.
  15. Sick Again
    Another Rolling-Stones sounding song that just doesn't do it for me.
This one was long for me. I already had heard and enjoyed Kashmir so that was the carrot to keep me going through the first half of the album. There's some great acoustic and 12 string work sprinkled too sparingly over the length of this album, which never seemed to really have a theme of what it was collectively. It's all over the place genre wise and Plant's vocals are mixed so differently across the journey that it makes me wonder if these were recorded and mixed in different studios. Stand out tracks for me were Kashmir, Bron-Yr-Aur, Ten Years Gone, Night Flight, and The Wanton Song, but on an album of 15 songs, 5 enjoyable songs (subjectively so) insn't enough to make me want to revist the whole record. 6/10

Back
Top Bottom