• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Digital-to-VHS/VHS-to-digital problems

recordwrangler95

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey folks,

I've hit a bit of a technical snag in a project I've been working on, hopefully this is the place for it. I wanted to transfer a few of my favourite fan edits to VHS to be able to watch in my clunky analog format of choice. After some fiddling around with settings and adapters, I've got it working, no problems there.

My snag is something that I never had a problem with in years past when I used to do it quite often -- transferring VHS to digital (I had a couple of editors ask if they could see how their VHS transfers turned out). I'm using VLC and it displays the output, records it OK in short snippets, but when I try to record full movies the playback flickers badly and the sound gets out-of-sync. Any ideas what might be causing this, or another program I could try? I've tried swapping out laptops, cables and VCRs, to no avail.

Thanks!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds like a frame rate problem. I believe all (NTSC region) VHS are natively 29.97fps. What frame rate are your resulting digital files?

recordwrangler95

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds like a frame rate problem. I believe all (NTSC region) VHS are natively 29.97fps. What frame rate are your resulting digital files?
When I go into the settings of VLC, it seems to have "same as source" selected as frame rate but maybe I need to manually set it? I'll give it a whirl next time and report back.

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a super old thread but, I have to go into my NLE and correct the audio issue. The flickering you're getting is probably a bad VCR or a VHS that has DRM maybe.

Top Bottom