• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Difficulty using avisynth for inverse telecine

avigayil

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys, 

Sort of a long post but I want to be very clear about what I have already done so I don’t waste anybody’s time later on. 

I've been having some issues with deinterlacing a set of movies that have a combo of hard & soft telecine. (I tried DGpulldown first and ended up a couple milliseconds off on the audio which is how I figured out it's mixed). I'm currently trying to use avisynth using Captain Khajiit's HCenc guide and I'm not sure it's doing anything (still looks interlaced when I flip through it in virtualdub). I did get it to work on a version of one of the files previously that I copied slightly differently (as a dvd5 vs 9’s) which makes me think it should still work.

Summary of project so far:
Standard dvds
Used dvdfab to copy files 
demuxed using pgcdemux
Used dgindex and saved as .d2v’s 
This is the script I've been using:
Code:
Mpeg2Source("C:\Hobbit\Video\AUJPartOne.d2v")
TFM()
TDecimate()

This is from mediainfo:
General
Complete name                            : AUJ1.m2v
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 3.32 GiB
Duration                                 : 1 h 39 min
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 4 799 kb/s
Video
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : Main@Main
Format settings                          : CustomMatrix / BVOP
Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
Format settings, GOP                     : Variable
Duration                                 : 1 h 39 min
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 4 799 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 9 800 kb/s
Width                                    : 720 pixels
Height                                   : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Scan order                               : 2:3 Pulldown
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.579
Time code of first frame                 : 00:59:58;00
GOP, Open/Closed                         : Closed
Stream size                              : 3.32 GiB (100%)

They show as 23.976 fps in mediainfo but 29.97 in dgindex, which is expected, right?

Stuff I've tried:
Turning my computer on and off again (seriously)
Uninstalled and reinstalled avisynth
made sure the pgdecode.dll and tivtc.dll plugins are in the avisynth plugin dir
Rewrote my scripts several times by hand, checked file locations
Tried a different file from the set (I'm recutting the Hobbit trilogy)

Here's some kinda dumb questions I have:
I’m struggling to understand exactly how avisynth works. When I run avisynth on .d2v does it actually alter the mpeg-2? Should I start over with a pristine copy of the mpeg-2 if I want to try a different script? 
Does it matter where i keep the avisynth script on my computer, or what I name it? 
(Not quite related to the topic of this thread, but: If I'm trying to calculate the average bitrate for something that came from two dvds that I intend to put together after cutting bits of both, how does that affect encoding or how to approach calculating disc space?)

Like I mentioned, I have gotten this to work on a copy I made of one of these DVDs before, so I’m sure I’m just f-ing it up somewhere. I’m new at this so maybe if I understand things a bit better I’ll be able to fix it on my own. I’d like to think I’m pretty tenacious about things but I’m not sure how to handle this anymore, so thanks for any help!

-Avi

avigayil said:
(still looks interlaced when I flip through it in virtualdub).

Did you make sure that honor pulldown flags was selected in DGIndex?

I did get it to work on a version of one of the files previously that I copied slightly differently (as a dvd5 vs 9’s) which makes me think it should still work.

That doesn't makes sense to me.  You should rip the whole disc, a 1:1 copy, in DVDFab.  But it would be better to try the free trial of AnyDVD, and rip all the discs that you need within the thirty days.  It's important that you don't re-encode the discs on the fly as you rip them (which is possible with DVDFab but not with AnyDVD).

They show as 23.976 fps in mediainfo but 29.97 in dgindex, which is expected, right?

It's not contrary to expectations. Your m2v is soft-telecined (23.976fps with a 2:3 pulldown); DGIndex should default to processing this as 29.97fps.

When I run avisynth on .d2v does it actually alter the mpeg-2?

No.

Should I start over with a pristine copy of the mpeg-2 if I want to try a different script?

No.

Does it matter where i keep the avisynth script on my computer...

As long as the file-path/file-name is accurate, it doesn't matter.

...or what I name it?

No.

(Not quite related to the topic of this thread, but: If I'm trying to calculate the average bitrate for something that came from two dvds that I intend to put together after cutting bits of both, how does that affect encoding or how to approach calculating disc space?)

It doesn't.  Join the two halves of the movie, edit it, and calculate a bitrate based on the new runtime of your edit.

I suggest that you re-rip your discs with AnyDVD and run DGIndex again.  If you continue to experience problems, make a sample by following the instructions in the FAQ of my HCenc guide, send it to me via PM, and I'll take a look.

The sample that you sent is soft telecined, and there's no reason to suppose that the rest of the DVD is any different.  This is a modern movie with high-quality releases on home video.  TIVTC does a perfect job on it. I don't understand why you think that there's still combing.  How are you scrolling through the video?  Are you opening your script in VirtualDub?

Are you opening your script in VirtualDub?

*Groans*

No, I've been loading the mpg2. All good now. Thank you very much for your patience, it's appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom