• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Die Hard 'til Midnight

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Die Hard 'til Midnight

j8cgvt.png

Die Hard done in the style of 24 but set over 9 hours using split screens  to help give it a semi real-time feel from scene to scene.

Die Hard til' Midnight

Tagline: Real Excitement, Real Suspense, Real Danger, Real Time!
New 16:9 Aspect Ratio (Pan and Scan)
Fanedit Type: Fanmix
Original Movie Title: Die Hard
Genre: Action, Thriller, Adventure
Original Release Date: 1988
Original Running Time:132 Mins
Fanedit Running Time : 119 Minutes 
Video Bitrate 5500 kbps
Audio Bitrate 512kbps (Stereo mix)
File size 5.3 GB
Synopsis
Die Hard is the pinnacle of action movie goodness in my opinion and cannot be improved upon as its completely perefect as it is.  However as its one of my favourite films I was intrigued whether I could put a different spin on it to give some fresh appeal.  It struck me that as McClane spends nearly the entire runtime of the movie apart from all the other protaginists I could maybe use splitscreen to give the impression of multiple events taking place at once.  Thus the idea for Die Hard 'til Midnight was born, and the edit evolved as Die Hard/24 style (semi) real-time thriller.

Intention

Main focus of the edit using split screen wherever logical to show McClane, Gruber and his cohorts, Police and Newscasters in splitscreen in the style of tv series '24' giving a sense of parallel events taking place.
The film is set over a 9 hour timeframe  with a 24 style ticking clock emphasising the real-time aspect with the intention of adding extra tension, pace and a fresh perspective.

Changes
When I decide to edit a movie I love I tend to leave everything in but try and and put a new spin on it, there are a few shaves and trims here and there to facilitate this new version but nothing siginificant.

There are however  approximately 50 split screen/time stamp sequences, some lasting just a few seconds or so and others lasting 30-40 seconds, the use of which has brought the runtime down by about 12 minutes along with the shaves to the film here and there.

Additional Notes
Christmas viewer tip: Best watched at 10:15pm on Christmas Eve to maximise the real-time effect!

First 30 Minutes Taster
Password : fanedit

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looking forward to this! Have you made a start? 

I'm currently rendering a Christmas edit myself....

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not yet Ive been tidying up/tweaking BTTF  but been mulling over what I could do with Die Hard in a decreased runtime and thought this could work quite well. I'm trying to remember if theres any obvious barriers in the movie with the 12 hour clock element. i might be pushed to get a workprint together for xmas eve which would be ideal but i will do my best .  What's your project Mr S or is it an xmas surprise?

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Not yet Ive been tidying up/tweaking BTTF  but been mulling over what I could do with Die Hard in a decreased runtime and thought thia could work quite well. I'm trying to remember if theres any obvious barriers in the movie with the 12 hour clock element. i might be pushed to get a workprint together for xmas eve which would be ideal but i will do my best .  

Sounds good! Been a long while since I last saw Die Hard... Will be good to have an excuse to watch it again (if a fanedit counts) ;;)

What's your project Mr S or is it an xmas surprise?

Well, I plan on putting it up tonight or tomorrow, so may as well keep it a secret till then! Having some trouble with the aspect ratio currently though, which is why it's not up already. It keeps altering when rendering regardless of the output settings :(

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is it 4:3? are you trying to make it 16:9 anything like that. Only thing I can think of is that if your source file you are using has rendered the black bars as part of the video. then any subsequent rendering would squish them too  as it thinks its part of the image if that makes sense...

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
720x576 Widescreen

Here's my issue. Sony Vegas Preview:

Screenshot-2017-12-13-21.57.59ad008a4d36a26344.png

Screenshot-2017-12-13-21.58.108732ab5919383712.png

Screenshot-2017-12-13-21.58.18d96169467834df78.png

Screenshot-2017-12-13-21.57.52e91be605bb9194e7.png

But when I render:

Screenshot-2017-12-13-22.06.204c82fa642d09e6e4.png

Screenshot-2017-12-13-22.06.29419eea1915e11313.png

Screenshot-2017-12-13-22.06.334a5214f4f8f7d83f.png

Screenshot-2017-12-13-22.06.37075a79e6c213cd18.png

Project settings match output settings and I'm using Lagarith Lossless AVI codec. I've tried "Custom Frame", "Match Project Settings", but the result is the same.

Sorry - Not meaning to steal your thread :p

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The main video 'Disney' Im guessing whats the resolution of the source? it looks like its 16:9 Aspect Ratio if you render just that part of the edit is that  skewed? and what is the output resolution you are using? if you play the source file in a media player windowed (not full screen) are there any black bars visible?

If the film you are editing fills the screen on a typical HDTV with no black bars The out put resolution ofc the top of my head would be 720 x 405roughly

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yup. 720x576 is the source, and I've used the pan/crop feature to get the other titles the same, but it doesn't seem to have worked.

If I render just a part of the main film then it comes out OK. Not exactly like the source, but it doesn't stretche or squash or anything, just gets a black frame.

Output I put "project settings" which is 720x576 (same as source) or custom frame, or I select that exact resolution. The outcome varies slightly, but the opening logos  are always inconsistent with the main title.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
just out of curiousity try changing the output res to 720 x 405 and see what happens...

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Flipper, @"Sinbad" - you've pretty much cracked it! How'd you figure? Only issue now is that the main title is ever so slightly cut off at the top.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
720 x 576 

you divide 720 by 16 equals 45

45 x 9 equals 405

thats a 16:9 aspect ratio, if thats what you source AR is you should be rendering at the same ratio

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
try 1024 by 576 out of curiousity see if that sorts the cut off

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
720 x 576 

you divide 720 by 16 equals 45

45 x 9 equals 405

thats a 16:9 aspect ratio, if thats what you source AR is you should be rendering at the same ratio

Sound logic. I was using the same resolution as was displayed on the source details though.. Puzzling  :s

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
try 1024 by 576 out of curiousity see if that sorts the cut off

That has the same result - perfect, bar a slight cut off. I guess I'll just tweak it a little till it works. 

I definitely misread your post. No longer puzzling - makes total sense. I am a fool  :D

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah I never worry too much about project settings myself I just deal with the resolution/framerate stuff manually not had a problem as yet...

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool. Thanks for the help. Looking forward to seeing what you do with Die Hard!

I'll let you have your thread back now ;)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread after Post #4:

giphy.gif

Hey Sinbad, this sounds like an awesome idea. I love Die Hard and I love 24. Very curious to see how this works out.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I will give it my best shot, will start tomorrow working out if the 12 hour time structure is feasible, and see what events would work split screen etc...

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"The Scribbling Man" - there is no issue with the discrepancy between the aspect ratio shown in Vegas, and how it is playing back in Media Player. Note, that there is a difference between pixel aspect ratio and display aspect ratio for anamorphic files.

A widescreen NTSC DVD video is stored as 720x480, and PAL DVD video is stored as 720x576, but upon playback your hardware stretches the image ("anamorphs" if you will) to a 16:9 display ratio (720x405 or 854x480).

If you intend to distribute the video via DVD, keep the footage as 720x576 and when you encode to m2v for DVD, make sure to set the appropriate anamorphic flags. If you have no intention of making a DVD, then yes, you could convert everything to 720x405, or some other size with a 16:9 ratio.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
@"The Scribbling Man" - there is no issue with the discrepancy between the aspect ratio shown in Vegas, and how it is playing back in Media Player. Note, that there is a difference between pixel aspect ratio and display aspect ratio for anamorphic files.

A widescreen NTSC DVD video is stored as 720x480, and PAL DVD video is stored as 720x576, but upon playback your hardware stretches the image ("anamorphs" if you will) to a 16:9 display ratio (720x405 or 854x480).

If you intend to distribute the video via DVD, keep the footage as 720x576 and when you encode to m2v for DVD, make sure to set the appropriate anamorphic flags. If you have no intention of making a DVD, then yes, you could convert everything to 720x405, or some other size with a 16:9 ratio.

Thanks. Still getting my head around all this stuff. For this particular edit, I will probably stick to a file (or at least for the time being).

Top Bottom