• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Die Hard 'til Midnight

This project is now 'in the works' and will hopefully have a workprint ready for Christmas Eve.

Is there a project in this thread?  All I see is unrelated tech talk. ;)

Anyway, you've already got two active projects.  Shall I archive your other ITW one?

yes Mr Scribbler decided to Hijack my thread in true Hans Gruber style! lol

Yes the others are both complete, the Hill Valley Chonicles has been submitted so i assume its more logical to archive Kill Bill isn't it?

Yep, will do.  Thanks.

Ok heres the first bit of footage, not a lot of opportunity for split screen action in the opening scenes but much more later on.. can't really get round using the original opening titles considering the way the film starts. This should give an idea of what I'm aiming for, just a rough cut at present though. Also had to crop movie to 16:9 as splitscreen a bit rubbish using the films original AR.

Nice, man - looking good! It's been a while since I've seen Die Hard, so I can't really tell what's been cut, but I can tell it's different from the original :p

Only thing I'd say at this point is maybe change the tone of the yellow on the overlaying text, as it contrasts oddly with the grainy look of the film. Also, maybe try to leave the Die Hard title up for longer. It appears and fades pretty quickly.

Otherwise, I like where this is going!

Thanks Mr Scrib, yeah the font stuff is just temp stuff at the min will tweak when ive finished the full runtime. The  'Die hard' and cast titles though are untouched from the original film,  I can't really alter that because of how the opening is originally.  I'm enjoying the whole splitscreen approach, its sound that is tricky you need the dialogue to interlock in the right places. More a puzzle than an edit this one!

Heres some split screen samples Im about a third the way through my first draft, I will work on the clock and some of the split screen framing when i have all my dual scenes in place for the whole runtime.

It's weird to see a 24-style setup without that iconic Bank Gothic credit font.

Yeah I have used the bank gothic font in the edit elsewhere, there's no way I can use it for the opening because of the way Die Hard's credits are presented in the opening sequence story wise. I think I'm gonna change things around so it almost feels like a 24 prequel (albeit 12). I just wanna get the realtime stuff in place and then i will really think about the aesthetics and style.

Got rid of some of the '24' look keeping the beeps as a little homage and obviously the clock but white,.. will need to go through each scene of the movie afterwards to minimize people/things being cropped out due to the AR change.

some more clips..

That 3rd clip is nice. The countdown to 12am followed by the explosion. 

It definitely looks a lot better now the text is white as well.

yeah got a first draft done of all the splitscreen stuff now, need to tighten it all up and pan and scan though the whole movie. Can work on the aestethics then.

@"jswert123456" 
@"theryaney" 

Either of you guys fancy taking a stab at the artwork?

I'm thinking (if time allows) of making a special 'Christmas Bonus' edition with a few extra christmassy frills for the workprint/preview version, (Holly on the opening credits that type of thing) will take them out for the final version.  I've got a few ideas but if anyone else has any that wouldn't require rotoscoping or anything really time consuming PM me with 'em

These are awesom man, excited to see the finished product.

Will have a screener version ready for the weekend :)

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas...

updated first post with technical details about screener which will be available to owners of the source this weekend.

Sinbad said:
updated first post with technical details about screener which will be available to owners of the source this weekend.

Looking forward to this! Are you nearing your initial goal of getting this down to 90 minutes, or has that gone out the window? Either way, I'd be interested to know how much this differs from the original Runtime.

Its gone out the window, the  film is a pretty  lean and efficient 132 mins originally so its only 10 mins shorter. I thinks its a pretty much perfect action film so I haven't gone for omitting anything that niggled in the end. I will probably go through seeing where i can make a few small shaves here and there now though but nothing major. Going through the film as an edit has made me appreciate even more how well constructed it is, theres's virtually nothing in there that isn't needed.  The 10 minutes for the most part totals the splitscreen in the film. There's at present about 25 split screen sequences in it,  I may have a few more in there before the weekend. I could get a lot more in if I did like a left/right switch with phone/walkie talkie convesations (of which there are a lot) but that wouldn't technically take the runtime down. I think the use of the clock adds  tension to the movie too as its a given from the start what time it all ends so it works almost like a countdown throughout the film and really ratchets up the suspense in the final act.

Back
Top Bottom