• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Die Hard 4 - Gauging Interest...

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I doubt there's any call for this, as "Old Habits..." is so well regarded, and seems to fill all the need you could have for Die Hard 4, but I figured I'd check.

Before I say anything else, this still has part of the F35 sequence intact, so if you hated that, may as well stop reading now.

Anyway, basically, I didn't care for a lot of the Unrated Version's changes, and I really did not like the color scheme of the film. So I re-colored, and mix-and-matched my way through the two versions to my own personal preference.

And a list of changes...

Unrated Version used as a base for the edit.

•Colour corrected entire film. Took out as much green as possible, and moved skin tones closer to red than yellow.
•New title card.
•Reversed shot of guy choking McClane, hanging out of car. The original shot made it look as though McClane was backing up, not driving forwards.
•Re-instated Gabriel's "…Timex watch in a digital age" line from PG13 version.
•When McClane is about to leap from the speeding car, swapped out "…bad fucking idea" for the PG13 version of the line. The Unrated one is an obvious loop that does not match.
•Re-instated "I was out of bullets" line from PG13. The alternate line seems very cumbersome and not particularly "McClane-esque".
•Re-instated PG13 version of guard being shot. The blood that spatters onto the car is an obvious add-in, not to mention it is not on the car in any other shots.
•Removed scene of McClane stealing the BMW.
•When driving to West Virginia, removed reference to airbags scene.
•Removed McClane's line, "Fuck being a hero" and re-instated longer shot of McClane not speaking. The line is looped, and badly slotted in where there's no real ‘space' for an extra line.
•Swapped out bloody consoles for clean ones. (Later shots feature clean monitors, so this edit was purely for continuity.)
•Removed badly looped "Motherfucker!" when McClane is being shot at in elevator shaft. He doesn't mouth any words at all, let alone yell profanities.
•Removed badly looped "Fuck you, bitch!" line. It doesn't fit, and detracts from McClane's triumphant yelling a moment later.
•Removed entire scene of Matt's badly looped, badly edited whining, and slightly rearranged the sequence of power going out across the country. Now, McClane hasn't just been standing in the one spot for minutes on end for no reason.
•Removed flight to WAR10CK's house. Not only is it completely unnecessary, it helps to make it look like McClane and Matt don't just steal the Kaludis' car when they leave. Now it's just the car that they arrived in. (I'm assuming the BMW was destroyed when the power plant went boom.)
•Switched out McClane's insult of "Hey, Jenny Craig…" for "Hey, Dump Truck…"
•When McClane is being "very impressed with himself" on the net, re-instated reaction shot of Gabriel that was removed from the Unrated for reasons I can't fathom.
•Used theatrical version of Gabriel's IT-guy executions to remove crummy CG blood.
•Removed McClane's line "Gotta get a gun. Keep your eyes open."
•Removed McClane picking up the wrench that soon disappears. Even Wiseman himself jokes about this on the commentary. Why they left it in is anyone's guess.
•Removed "Did I get a ‘Thank you', no I got a ‘Fuck you'" I did not use the PG13 version either, ("…Crucified.") as both are as badly looped as each other.
•Replaced McClane's "Fuck you" with "Bullshit".
•Replaced "I'm on my way to bring you a big fuckin' cheque" with "Sit tight, I got a cheque for you." (Felt more natural to me, the alternate seems too self-consciously ‘R rated')
•When McClane enters the refrigerated area, mirror-imaged the shot of Rand below to be right way 'round. They clearly did it to preserve visual continuity, but I actually feel it works better having him directly under McClane, otherwise, McClane should see him too. (Plus, there's writing on the pipes which draws the eye when they are flipped.)
•Removed "Might wanna think about what to put on your headstone, asshole" â€" Badly looped, and a crap line. Now, McClane raises the radio to his mouth, but is shot at before he gets a chance to speak.
•When McClane commandeers the semi, removed him looking around the cab and seeing the CB radio. Because…
•Removed McClane using WAR10CK to patch through to FBI. No need for it at all. The next line we hear, "This is Central. We have a patch for Director Bowman." Tells us all we need to know. Taking the scene out also removes some terrible continuity with the damage to the truck.
•Removed F35 firing the first missile at truck, and freeway collapsing. It just seems too sudden, out of nowhere. The first attack is now as it swoops in front of the truck. This way, the attack escalates…bullets, then missiles.
•Replaced McClane being shot by Gabriel with the PG13 version. The blood in the Unrated is very poorly added.
•Several other extremely minor edits which don't really bear listing.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i'm down.

lately it seems like a requirement that a film is ALREADY fanedited, so this fits right in :)

sladetwc

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You knew, UA, that T-HOPE's T3 project was so well regarded, and you did a T3 edit... and people love it! Just put that sucker out and people will snap it up!

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yes, UA.
I will definitely watch it.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sladetwc said:
You knew, UA, that T-HOPE's T3 project was so well regarded, and you did a T3 edit... and people love it! Just put that sucker out and people will snap it up!

I guess my reasoning is that with T3, I knew I was gonna be doing stuff to it distinctly different to T-Hope's version, whereas this doesn't seem much different...but what the hell, huh?

I'll get it ready, but I warn y'all not to expect much.

stomachworm

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd watch this just for the color corrections. You mean to tell me it's not supposed to be the offwhite house?

Top Bottom