• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Die Hard 4 by Uncanny Antman

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Original film name: Live Free Or Die Hard
New film name : Die Hard 4
Film studio name : 20th Century Fox
Edit crew name : Uncanny Antman
Date Original Film Was Released : August, 2007.
Date Edit Was Released : May, 2008.
Original Runtime : 2 hours, 8 minutes.
New Runtime : 2 hours, 1 minute.

Fan edit details:
Your intention for this fan edit: To mix together my preferred elements from each of the released versions.
Hardware and software information: Premiere, DVDLabPro
Time needed for the edition: 1 week.

Cuts removed/added/extended :

Note: Unrated Version used as a base for the edit.

* Color corrected entire film. Took out as much of the green tint as possible, and moved skin tones closer to red than yellow. The result isn't perfect, but it was the best I could manage. My advice would be to download the color correction comparison AVI first...if that's not to your liking, don't download the DVD.
* New title card.
* Reversed shot of guy choking McClane, hanging out of car. The original shot made it look as though McClane was backing up, not driving forwards.
* Re-instated Gabriel's "...Timex watch in a digital age" line from PG13 version.
* When McClane is about to leap from the speeding car, swapped out "...bad fucking idea" for the PG13 version of the line. The Unrated one is an obvious loop that does not match.
* Re-instated "I was out of bullets" line from PG13. The alternate line seems very cumbersome and not particularly "McClane-esque".
* Re-instated PG13 version of guard being shot. The blood that spatters onto the car is an obvious add-in, not to mention it is not on the car in any other shots.
* Removed scene of McClane and Matt stealing the BMW.
* When driving to West Virginia, removed reference to the car theft.
* Removed McClane's line, "Fuck being a hero" and re-instated longer shot of McClane not speaking. The line is looped, and badly slotted in where there's no real 'space' for an extra line.
* After Mai kills the plant guard, swapped out bloody consoles for clean ones. (Later shots feature clean monitors, so this edit was purely for continuity.)
* Removed badly looped "Motherfucker!" when McClane is being shot at in elevator shaft. He doesn't mouth any words at all, let alone yell profanities.
* Removed badly looped "Fuck you, bitch!" line. It doesn't fit, and detracts from McClane's triumphant yelling a moment later.
* Removed entire scene of Matt's badly looped, badly edited whining, (after the plant explodes) and slightly rearranged the sequence of power going out across the country. Now, McClane hasn't just been standing in the one spot for minutes on end for no reason.
* Removed flight to WAR10CK's house. Not only is it completely unnecessary, it helps to make it look like McClane and Matt don't just steal the Kaludis' car when they leave the house. Now it's just the car that they arrived in. (I'm pretending that the BMW was destroyed when the power plant went boom.)
* Switched out McClane's insult of "Hey, Jenny Craig..." for "Hey, Dump Truck..."
* When McClane is being "very impressed with himself" on the net, re-instated reaction shot of Gabriel that was removed from the Unrated for reasons I can't fathom.
* Used theatrical version of Gabriel's IT-guy executions to remove crummy CG blood.
* Removed McClane's line "Gotta get a gun. Keep your eyes open."
* Removed McClane picking up the wrench that soon disappears. Even Len Wiseman himself jokes about this on the commentary. Why they left it in is anyone's guess.
* Removed "Did I get a 'Thank you', no I got a 'Fuck you'" I did not use the PG13 version either, ("...Crucified.") as both are as badly looped as each other.
* Replaced McClane's "Fuck you" with "Bullshit".
* Replaced "I'm on my way to bring you a big fuckin' cheque" with "Sit tight, I got a cheque for you." (Felt more natural to me, the alternate seems too self-consciously 'R rated')
* When McClane enters the refrigerated area, mirror-imaged the shot of Rand below to be right way 'round. They clearly did it to preserve visual continuity, but I actually feel it works better having him directly under McClane, otherwise, McClane should see him too. (Plus, there's writing on the pipes which draws the eye when they are flipped.)
* Removed "Might wanna think about what to put on your headstone, asshole" - Badly looped, and a crap line. Now, McClane raises the radio to his mouth, but is shot at before he gets a chance to speak.
* When McClane commandeers the semi, removed him looking around the cab and seeing the CB radio. Because...
* Removed McClane using WAR10CK to patch through to FBI. No need for it at all. The next line we hear, "This is Central. We have a patch for Director Bowman." Tells us all we need to know. Taking the scene out also removes some terrible continuity with the damage to the truck.
* Removed F35 firing the first missile at truck, and freeway collapsing. It just seems too sudden, out of nowhere. The first attack is now as it swoops in front of the truck. This way, the attack escalates...bullets, then missiles.
* Replaced McClane being shot by Gabriel with the PG13 version. The blood in the Unrated is very poorly added.
* Several other extremely minor edits which don't really bear listing.

Maybe downloadable from info

I saw the theatrical version of this for the first time about a week ago and although there are some good moments there are some truly ridiculous ones as well.

The two that really got to me were the car bringing down the helicopter and Bruce Willis hopping on the back of a jet fighter. I was hoping that a Fan-Edit version would address those beyond-belief moments. I take it this one does not?

NickMollocopy.jpg

Nick Mollo said:
I saw the theatrical version of this for the first time about a week ago and although there are some good moments there are some truly ridiculous ones as well.

The two that really got to me were the car bringing down the helicopter and Bruce Willis hopping on the back of a jet fighter. I was hoping that a Fan-Edit version would address those beyond-belief moments. I take it this one does not?
This one doesn't, however: http://fanedit.org/wpTF/?p=437#more-437

S'right, my cut certainly isn't for anyone looking to tone down the ridiculous. It's more Die Hard 2 than Die Hard. ;)

Die Hard 4 Uncanny Antman Fanedit DVD5 is now on Usenet. I'll submit an NZB to Info. Or you can use Binsearch to make your own NZB (but disregard the second part 67, use the PAR2 files to repair the first part 67).

Back
Top Bottom