• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Dexter

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Unfortunately for Dexter, its final episodes have coincided with the ending of Breaking Bad. Talk about master and apprentice... I gave up on Dexter midway through this final season when the production values started to match the quality of the writing. If they can't be bothered, then neither can I. Dex deserved better :(

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I just watched the finale. Eh whatever. If anybody hasn't watched this show and wants to start, I'd suggest watching Seasons 1-4 and skipping the rest. Hopefully someone makes some good TV-to-Movie edits to follow up Adabisi's sweet Season 1 edit.

If anybody does make edits, this idea pertains to the end of Season 7.

Use Debra's dream or hallucination or whatever when she kills Dexter instead of La Guerta (early on in Season 8). Put some sort of voice-over. The End.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm about three episodes behind so I'm staying spoiler free. That said, I think the only truly terrible season was the Jimmy Smits one. That finale just fell apart.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nah man, Seasons 5, 6 and 8 were pretty terrible. I'll give you that the last third of Season 5 was exciting and the last 3 minutes of Season 6 were amazing.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ending was OK.

Saxon's death was calculated, but lame.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank god they finally put this show out of its misery. The entire final season was just painful to watch. Nothing about the final episode made any sense. Some of the dumbest writing I've seen from a once-great show. I could've forgiven a lot if they'd just done was I was hoping. Three-word voice over added to the final shot:

"Tonight's the night."

Cut to black.

No such luck.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I finally finished up the last three episodes. Wow.

The perfect spot to have ended was while Dexter was riding off into the hurricane, everything else was "Eh?". Just because the Slice of Life wreckage was found everyone just presumed Dexter was dead? Really? They knew he was leaving, so . . . why did they jump to this conclusion?

The Debra thing, while executed poorly (Dexter stealing her from the hospital) I'm not sure of a better way. I like the simplicity of him killing her, and I understand that he buried her at sea because she was his last victim . . . it was actually quite touching, but even during an impending storm I don't think it would be so easily to steal a body. That said, him being in his kill outfit, him putting her in the ocean without cutting her up, it was a nice finale for their story.

Just that fucking lumberjack bit . . .

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
They knew he was leaving, so . . .

He told everyone he was going on a long vacation with his son, not into hiding and completely off the grid. You expect to be able to get a hold of someone on vacation eventually, email, phone, mail forwarding, something.
After the hurricane when Deb was discovered to be missing, they would obviously have tried to contact Dexter, and when they couldn't, that would be pretty surprising to them. Find the wreckage, and its "ohhhhh, he's dead, that's why he hasn't responded to our messages that his sister is missing." I think it's a pretty natural train of thought.

if there's a plothole there - it's not concluding Dexter is dead - its, why doesn't anyone care about what happened to Harrison? Batista just sounded sad for dexter dying, as if he understood why he did it and just wished he could have talked him out of it. No regard for the fate of Harrison whatsoever.

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedited Final Scene:

Breaking Dexter crossover images:
hdOiScL.jpg

UJdBbYF.jpg

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This season was super lame. I wanted to see the reaction of all of his peers when they found out he was a serial killer all of this time and Doakes was really innocent. I wanted to see either huge manhunt for Dexter or Dex running away and going into hiding, only to begin having his urge to kill again. What did we get? A lame ending to a show that hit its peak 4, count it 4 seasons ago!

I will say this, Dex's final kill of the series was bittersweet. The way he moved Deb's body to the ocean was a little silly. Also, why bury her at sea with the rest of the trash he left there? I caught the obvious angelic angle they were going having Deb wrapped in a sheet while all of the bad people Dex killed were wrapped in black trash bags.

Lumberjack Dexter was a huge eye roller. Why why why? Dexter protecting Hannah and Harrison from himself? STUPID!!

Deb should've shot him at the end of the 7th season and saved us from a season that made us wish we were on Dex's kill table.

Honestly, the only thing I enjoyed about this season was Masuka's daughter. While a lot of people don't understand it's point, I see it as the most pervy guy on the show who would frequent topless bars and strip clubs ends up having a hot daughter that works in one of those places. The only successful relationship this guy has had throughout the run of the show was this daughter he never knew he had. I liked it.

What a terrible ending to a great show. Breaking Bad got it right. Tell your story and end the show when you're on top. Dexter never bounced back from season 4.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you were unhappy about that extra ending, blame Showtime, not the writers.

Producer John Goldwyn said:
“They [wouldn't] let us kill him. Showtime was very clear about that. When we told them the arc for the last season, they just said, ‘Just to be clear, he’s going to live.’ There were a lot of endings discussed because it was a very interesting problem to solve, to bring it to a close. People have a relationship with ‘Dexter,’ even if it doesn’t have the size and the ferocity of the fanbase for ‘Breaking Bad.’ But it has a very core loyal following.”

http://screenrant.com/showtime-dexter-death-season-8-finale/

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
If you were unhappy about that extra ending, blame Showtime, not the writers.

http://screenrant.com/showtime-dexter-death-season-8-finale/

Showtime said make him live, fine I understand that. How we got to that ending falls on the writers. Showtime didn't say make him a lumberjack. Nothing can argue that.

Just to be clear, not angry towards you Frantic Canadian, just angry at how the show came to a close.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
They could have accomplished this but been more ambiguous. Simply show him driving off towards the storm, cut to black, silence. Show all the characters we've known through a little montage with just music, showing how they are doing (maybe show a calendar or newspaper to distinguish how much time has passed). Then, finally, maybe a little muffled dialog in a foreign language. Blurry imagery of nurses, or doctors, or medical gizmos... and then an extreme close-up of a closed eye. Maybe even a little movement below the lid.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Started watching this on Sunday and I’m already half way through season 4, needless to say, I’m addicted!

Top Bottom