• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
full

"In the year 2099, with the new millennium only 8 months away, a large, advanced, underwater salvage vessel known as Auriga 7 glides quietly, deep under the ocean surface. On board: a small military-detachment of engineers, their tech, and enough remaining provisions for several months. The few luxuries the crew had the Lieutenant would call contraband. But the men had their vices and much need to blow off a little steam now-and-again. It seemed to affect the Captain the most; the Lunar War back in 2075. With Earth's atmosphere forever crippled from it, and even though travel between Mars and the moons of Jupiter were becoming commonplace, the Boss rarely liked to surface, preferring to spend his time in the endless swaths of deep blackness. But the Captain may have to abandon the team’s current mission. Ship sensors have picked up an unknown signal that leads them into the furthest reaches of an uncharted abyss. Something stirs; waiting, lurking in the depth."

I can't help it when I get an idea sometimes. This is meant to be part tongue-in-cheek & part actually creepy. So, while working on one of my edits something funny happened. I'm editing in black & white and am actually removing these shots, but one shot in particular flashes in front of me (seen above) and an entire new editing project idea pops into my head. A flash of editing images start flowing in my mind's eye that I just had to see actualized.
FzlnpY5aAAAchbi
This new, weird, thing has taken way too long to make. Fake and real credits were created and added at the end, as well as the programs I used to make it all. This was a very much needed test and exercise for me. I made all the credits, festival logos, and artwork throughout. You can't just google up those logos how I made them. I suck at making trailers and this is my first attempt to make one that is hopefully great, but also be a cool new story at the same time. When this idea came to me I felt I had to make it as perfect and as clean looking as possible. I learned a lot of new tricks for my future trailers. I also wrote the original story/synopsis above as a companion to the video.

While in the form of a trailer this is itself a short fanedit. It uses footage from an existing film, re-contextualizes it to be as if from an entirely new and different film, uses new music and foley, barrows inspiration from the videogames Depth, Death Stranding, and Dead Space, as well as the Alien franchise, A24 Films, and the film festival circuit.
This edit ultimately showcases a non-existent & hypothetically yet-unreleased film (and short story). This edit stretches the limits of what I have learned and am learning on my editing journey.

Runtime: 2 minutes 35 seconds
Video/Audio: 3840x2160p 4K UHD H.264 MP4 23.98 FPS / 320kbps AAC Stereo
Available on: YouTube / Vimeo

full

full

Fzlnv7YaYAEgGoV

Titanic [1997 film] (video footage)
Depth [videogame] (logo inspiration)
Alien [film franchise] (general and logo inspiration)
Dead Space [videogame] (inspiration)
Dead Space Liberation [graphic novel] (background image)
Death Stranding [videogame] (logo inspiration)

Music:
"Shell Game" by Glass Candy (from Lost River)
"The Dead Zone" by Johnny Jewel (from Lost River)
Guardian of the Galaxy [videogame] Pause Menu Music (INIGHTMARES Edit)

Video Effects:
Smoke43 - www.videezy.com (customized)
A24 Films logo (customized)
Fanedit.org Netflix Dark style logo (customized)

Sound Effects:
Slime Slither Sound Effects (customized) - by Time Catch Sounds on YouTube
Trailer hits sound effects cinematic (customized) - by Das Creations on YouTube
Flash Bang Sound Effect (customized) - by Pseudonymous on YouTube
Water Onto Concrete Sound Effect (customized) - Sound Effect Database on YouTube
Water Pour On Concrete Sound Effect (customized) - Sound Effect Database on YouTube

full

Last edited:

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This was certainly a one-of-a-kind viewing experience. A creepy trailer for a creepy movie that doesn't exist. I wonder if it could exist by compiling scenes from Titanic, Sphere, Deep Rising, Deep Star Six, etc

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had the images locked, but now everyone should be able to see them!

Pedantic Contrarian

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would have to disagree with the notion that you suck at making trailers because that trailer was awesome!

Where do I begin...well for starters the black and white filter used in conjunction with the music gives the trailer a very haunting yet evocative feeling of curiosity, a desire to unearth the very fear that the trailer advises those not to unearth if that makes sense.

The use of the authentic fanedited company logos coupled alongside the graphical text and animation along with the MPA Styled opening makes it truly feel like a proper cinema trailer a trailer I might add that would entice me to want to venture to my local cinema to see the eventual finalised masterpiece if this fanedit were an official movie.

I will confess I am not familier with the source material your adapting but the very concept of this Special Project Short does indeed intrigue me, additionally it's interesting seeing how you experimented with the differing tone of black and white in the middle step of production before settling on a different tone of black and white.

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would have to disagree with the notion that you suck at making trailers because that trailer was awesome!

Where do I begin...well for starters the black and white filter used in conjunction with the music gives the trailer a very haunting yet evocative feeling of curiosity, a desire to unearth the very fear that the trailer advises those not to unearth if that makes sense.

The use of the authentic fanedited company logos coupled alongside the graphical text and animation along with the MPA Styled opening makes it truly feel like a proper cinema trailer a trailer I might add that would entice me to want to venture to my local cinema to see the eventual finalised masterpiece if this fanedit were an official movie.

I will confess I am not familier with the source material your adapting but the very concept of this Special Project Short does indeed intrigue me, additionally it's interesting seeing how you experimented with the differing tone of black and white in the middle step of production before settling on a different tone of black and white.
Thanks mate! The source material is Titanic 1997 :D I appreciate the kind words 🙏I worried there was too much black in the trailer but that was part of the vibe too. And thinking it has the feel of a proper cinema trailer is what I was going for, along with a Netflix/Indie vibe a la the A24 Films company.

I want to write a short story now. A lot of ideas came flowing during this. Wish the studios made a spin-off movie all about Bill Paxton and his team of deep sea divers (JK but I want the footage from it).

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This was certainly a one-of-a-kind viewing experience. A creepy trailer for a creepy movie that doesn't exist. I wonder if it could exist by compiling scenes from Titanic, Sphere, Deep Rising, Deep Star Six, etc
I sent this video to one buddy who didn't read any of the description and just watched the edit. He came back to me saying he was trying to figure out which of some of these exact movies it was from. When I told him Titanic he was surprised lol. He hadn't seen Titanic in decades probably.

Pedantic Contrarian

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I sent this video to one buddy who didn't read any of the description and just watched the edit. He came back to me saying he was trying to figure out which of some of these exact movies it was from. When I told him Titanic he was surprised lol. He hadn't seen Titanic in decades probably.
Funny you should mention that I read the description than immediately after forgot what the film was then saw this post...and immediately forgot what the film was....Pedantic has failed at reading.

I was born in 1991 so I would have been at least 7 and far to young to see the film in the cinema by the time it came out, I've heard of it but I ain't seen it...still looking forward to this edit either way and now I should probably go watch Titanic lol.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you need any partners in crime on a project like that, I'll bet @blueyoda and/or @Wraith would certainly have some good ideas.
The Abyss… also comes to
Mind….

This was outstanding and had me wanting more…. Maybe there is a 30min edit out there that could be made?

futon88

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
REFLECTIONS ON DEPTH:
My short DEPTH hits different for me now. After recent events the horror factor of the depths of the ocean scare the sh*t of out me even more.
I fell into a deep wiki rabbit hole on crush depths and submarines from the US military that had nuclear weapons on board that were lost under the sea. Terrifying. Multiple submarines with nukes have been lost under the sea. Imagine that radiation leaking and mutating the already creepy sea-life down there! Nightmare fuel.
FzlN085aEAAM2WS

PHOTO: Nightmare fuel
All of this comes up because the past week or so has been strange for anyone following the news. The OceanGate Titan submersible, meant to dive down to the Titanic wreck on the bottom of the ocean floor off the coast of Maine and Canada, was lost with all 5 passengers deceased. My heart goes out to their families.

FzlFLrVagAA0v2U
FzlLmaHaMAILgAt

LEFT: Intended path of the Titanic cruise ship, and where the OceanGate submersible was diving. RIGHT: Photo of the actual OceanGate Titan Submersible.
Many news outlets and investigators are questioning the time-table and order of events. Some say the Navy knew the submersible imploded Sunday, yet continued to search for the sub through Thursday morning? Many questions remain, but the loss of life is very saddening. The passengers aboard who were tourists weren't told the true factors of the risks and safety issues of such a dive in a submersible that was never vetted through rigorous testing and maintenance. May all 5 souls rest in peace.

This is one of many videos covering the Titan submersible that I found very well done and informative:

The wiki rabbit hole I went down reading was all about the US military submarines that were lost over the decades, and the extreme pressures so deep in the ocean. Specifically I read about the USS Thresher. The Submarine's story is scary yet leaves us with a cautionary tale of military submarine failure and safety regulation.

Even the USS Thresher has something to do with the RMS Titanic. Years after Thresher was lost, a clandestine mission by the US military was underway to map out and photograph the Thresher wreckage, which held nuclear weapons on-board. The Military said they were going down to photograph the Titanic but that was only a secondary mission after the Thresher sub was mapped and photographed along with another submarine that had nuclear weapons that was also lost.

Imagine being in a submarine and losing contact with the surface. All the lights and power go out and you're sitting in the cramped darkness, steadily sinking deeper and deeper until in an instant you and all the metal and steel around you bends like taffy and is crushed inward in an instant. Everything is shredded like cheese through a grater.

FzlQ5buaUAA8lNe

PHOTO: Roughly to scale. Shows where the USS Thresher should of been above, and the depths at which it imploded with all 129 on board perishing, below.

When I made DEPTH I wasn't thinking about submarines imploding or Titanic tourism in the modern age. OceanGate is a tragedy. After those involved finish grieving and processing this, I hope that they get back into their work and lives and learn from this and make better and smarter decisions moving forward 🙏

Last edited:

Phase3

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched your 'Depth' short; the tension builds up so effortlessly, and the visuals actually leave you wanting to see more! I am incredibly impressed by this short video. (y)(y)(y)

Top Bottom