• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

December 2021 FEOTM

What was your Favorite Edit of the month in December 2021?

• Amadeus: The Variation Edit by Dwight Fry

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Hook – The way you (want to) remember it by lapis molari

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Frank Herbert’s Dune – The Spence Edit Revised by Spence

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Heat: The McCauley Cut by Dawnrazor

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Game of Thrones: Redeemed by almightycutie

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Jason and the Argonauts: B+ Movie Edition by The Scribbling Man

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Captain Planet: Mission To Save Earth-An Alternative Source by Zarius

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home – Spider-Sense Edition by Masirimso17

• Joker: One Bad Day by Wakeupkeo

• Enemy: The Analogue Cut by Heavisyde

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
  • Poll closed .

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
10 edits to vote for this month… Voting closes on February 1st. TAKE NOTE: Voting is limited to active members who have been registered for more than a month and have a minimum of 5 posts. Faneditors are not allowed to vote for their own edit. Faneditors are not allowed to solicit votes by… (read full article...)

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Given some of the comments on last month's FEOTM, we'll be trialling a small change. People will not be able to see the poll results until they have voted. I'm hoping this will also encourage more people to engage with the poll.

Edit: For those that might not have seen the IFDB article, I'll post this here as well:

Voting closes on February 1st.

TAKE NOTE:
  • Voting is limited to active members who have been registered for more than a month and have a minimum of 5 posts.
  • Faneditors are not allowed to vote for their own edit.
  • Faneditors are not allowed to solicit votes by PMing users or promoting the poll in other forums or social sites.

Last edited:

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If an editor in the running chooses not to vote against themselves, this would mean they cannot find out anything until the end?

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any chance that the future feotm votes could be runoff? ie if the winner gets less than half the total, there's a second round of voting between the top two. Like how the French do their elections.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know it's tempting to see it that way. But instead of voting against yourself, you vote for the best edit of that month.
LOL I am still working on being THAT virtuous. I review and watch as much as possible when I'm not in the running, but when so many results come down to so few votes, its hard not to be a little protective of the passion project each editor been working so hard on, not to see THAT edit as the best of the bunch.

And unfortunately voting for edits is so subjective - I, for example, am just not a big horror fan so that stuff automatically gets a bum deal from me (sorry to the horror editors!) Everyone's internal biases to source material will always bleed in.

Any chance that the future feotm votes could be runoff? ie if the winner gets less than half the total, there's a second round of voting between the top two. Like how the French do their elections.
No. We only do runoffs if it's an even split.

I would love to see a rule that if the race ends close enough, the second places also can automatically get in the FEOTY running. Or maybe just the top two each month automatically get into the FEOTY running. Sometimes one month's race is SO close, and another month its quiet. (Although lately each month has been stacked, I wonder if that is just a wave or the new normal?)

Lots of 2nd places need more recognition at the end of the year IMO. (My first time getting second place SUCKED. It gets better though, best advice is to keep editing!)

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ha, ha! You're right, @Wakeupkeo : virtuous ain't easy. Even for something non-critical like FE awards.

I admit that it became easier for me once I had a few FEOTM awards under my belt. 😇

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LOL I am still working on being THAT virtuous. I review and watch as much as possible when I'm not in the running, but when so many results come down to so few votes, its hard not to be a little protective of the passion project each editor been working so hard on...
I absolutely agree. I know how much passion and work some of these editors put into their projects. Sometimes, I get to ride the rollercoaster all the way through the project and occasional insanity.
Sometimes one month's race is SO close, and another month its quiet. (Although lately each month has been stacked, I wonder if that is just a wave or the new normal?)
More edits are being approved because of the change in procedures. Also, at least last month, it looked like both of the top finalists drew supporters who fed off of the competive nature of two similar edits going head to head. I knew that it would be interesting because one edit would have the support of many established editors who were involved in the project to a degree and the other was a very popular edit outside of the forum and could be a wild card drawing an unlimited amount of votes from established fans. That's what makes it fun. You never actually know.

I saw no problem with it because it drew more votes than the two previous months combined. Healthy competition is good for the polls and the forum.

Last edited:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edits can be nominated for FEOTY. All you have to do is nominate it when the thread opens. Generally we automatically look at runner ups. The award used to be called "Fanedit of the Month", but after similar concerns as are being pointed out now, it was changed to "Favorite Edit Of the Month". We have no plans to change the format as of right now. If there are concerns about the format please feel free to PM staff to discuss ideas and we will consider those requests.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edits can be nominated for FEOTY. All you have to do is nominate it when the thread opens. Generally we automatically look at runner ups. The award used to be called "Fanedit of the Month", but after similar concerns as are being pointed out now, it was changed to "Favorite Edit Of the Month". We have no plans to change the format as of right now. If there are concerns about the format please feel free to PM staff to discuss ideas and we will consider those requests.
I personally see absolutely nothing wrong with the format as it stands.

I believe that would be counter productive and the winner may feel slighted. Of course, the runner up would like it...

A win is a win.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I personally see absolutely nothing wrong with the format as it stands.

I believe that would be counter productive and the winner may feel slighted. Of course, the runner up would like it...

A win is a win.
I concur...

There will be close months...and there will be landslide months, but a vote is a vote is a vote, as is a win.

Let's just remeber also, this is all for fun. No careers or lives are imapacted in the RW.
We would not want to go all WOKE on this surely and go down the "everyone's a winner for taking part" route...etc.

I'm bummed out that "Favourite" got dropped in...we don't want the award to be the...
"Favourite Edit of the Month in recognition of effort and participation by all where everyone who took part is a winner and no sleigt intened to other participants; Other edits may be available" Award (oops...recognition)

There....I said it!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@Wraith please refrain from political comments as it incites responses and contentions that we don't want here in the forums. We've also shared our stances and reasoning for the way the polls are conducted and ridiculing the thoughts behind why someone might have an issue with a particular outcome is not only counterproductive, it's divisive. I also just posted about this an hour ago and two posts before yours. Any procedural comments/concerns/requests regarding the process should be sent to staff via PM.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I dont see any per-se political comment...just illustraing that it is ok to compete, it's ok to have a winner and one should not pander to trying to make everyone feel ok ...in life there are losers and winners . That's all, but I acknowledge that it could be seen political, but that was not the intent. I did say this is "fun" not real world, and we should all take a pich of salt with it.

I certainly have not ridiculed anyone, just the concept that winning is bad...which no one said but which is pervasive..."and the oscar goes to".... well if there was a vote, the the Oscar went to the winner. Who are we trying to kid...

No Politics..just common sense and logical progression IMHO. If there is a VOTE then ergo, there is a WINNER. If the vote is for "favourite", then the highest vote is the "winner" of the "favoutrite"....

I have no concerns... just making a humourous observation...and sure "favourite" is fine, just not sure who are we trying to appease?

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jokes aside, actually everyone is a winner, as this site has very high standards, and the poll is just for fun. It's always nice when one's edit gets attention and people like it, but for me that's all there is about it. I take the results with a grain of salt, every time. A couple of my edits got quite a bit of attention, others very little or none at all, and I don't really mind. They're there, if people eventually want to watch them they will. And the one time I won the poll, I honestly think there were edits that were objectively better than mine competing that month. So at the end of the day, it all comes down to what people liked at a specific moment, not to what is better than what.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Humor, being subjective, is not always read as such in a text based communication.

Reminder that this thread is for voting for and celebration of ones favorite edit of the month. Again, please PM staff regarding the voting process if you have any concerns.

Top Bottom