• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Dead Set Serious

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dead Set Serious by CBB

3D_DSS1.jpg

What is it about: This turns the TV show DEAD SET into a true zombie movie. Gone are the dragging, too funny, annoying and over-the-top scenes to present an extraordinary quality horror film from the UK.
The image has been recolored and the brightness levels were improved for a more movie like experience.

original film name: Dead Set (TV show)
new film name : Dead Set Serious
film studio name : E4, Zeppotron
edit crew name : CBB
Date Original Film Was Released : 2008
Date Edit Was Released : December, 2008
Original Runtime : 142 min
New Runtime : 114 min
Amount of time Cut/Added : about 30 minutes cut

Fanedit details:

The idea was simple, the creation not so much, most of all because of technical problems though. Turning DEAD SET into a true zombie movie tries to take all the best horror elements from it and leave all what was distracting from that on the cutting floor. That's why the audience really meets the Big Brother inmates when Kelly enters the Big Brother house, not before that. The plot has been trimmed for better pacing and the worst over-the-top moments have been removed (most of all those are scenes with Patrick - the producer) as well as dragging conversations or scenes that lead nowhere.
By recoloring and correcting the brightness the image quality reflects more of a movie experience, because the original show was incredibly dark and made days almost look like nights.

The changes:
- added new starting credits
- cut Big Brother beginning
- cut housemates reunion
- cut inmates argument
- cut Kelly bringing coffee
- cut phone in the camera runs
- cut inmates preparing for the show
- cut housemates reunion part 2
- cut inmates waiting for the show
- cut all inmate scenes from the eviction
- split guard scene approaching the car
- cut some of Pippa's waving
- moved Danny seeing Chloe
- cut the first jealousy scene with Kelly about Danny
- cut the inmates talking about the outside screams
- cut the next morning in BB house
- cut the inmates' egg argument
- cut BB inmates argument and detecting the cameras are not moving and discussing it
- cut "mobile phones must be switched off"
- cut BBinmates discussing what has caused the dead to rise
- cut Patrick eating
- cut Pippa telling Patrick to stop wasting air
- cut Patrick drinking champagne
- cut Patrick eating and drinking and thinking about peeing
- cut Kelly coming with fire extinguisher to kill Angel
- cut Space holding the fire extinguisher
- cut Alex's survival speech
- cut Patrick peeing in the bucket
- cut Marky reads about himself in the newspaper
- cut most of the stupidity fo the cops
- cut Joplin stalking on Veronica taking a shower
- cut Patrick pooing in the bucket
- split the van arriving scene
- cut Patrick and Pippa discussing the "light machine"
- cut Patrick mentioning the bucket pooing
- cut the inmates discussing "youtube" "Amazon"
- cut Pippa mentioning Patrick pooing
- cut Pippa repeating "I don't like it"
- cut Veronica and Space discussing the reason of the outbreak
- cut Joplin and the others discussing the outbreak and the maning of it
- cut most of Patrick slicing pieces from Grayson's body and ranting
- cut Marky saying "He says he is a normal person" and continuing to shoot
- cut Patrick ranting while he is eaten
- cut Joplin munching
- added new end credits

DVD DETAILS
114 minutes Single Layer NTSC 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen with AC3-5.1 audio
LANGUAGES : ENGLISH (5.1)
SUBTITLES : ENGLISH (selectable)
MENUS : animated with sound
SCENE SELECTION : yes
EXTRAS: 2 Deleted Scenes Featurettes: Patrick (8:23) Big Brother (16:23)
CBB info for all 31 fanedits
COVER&Disc ART : yes, on DVD-Rom part

Intention for this fanedit:

Dead Set was an incredibly great TV show and the most shocking one for a long time. Responses all over the globe were praising it and rightfully so, because it was from the plot over the cast to the filming and the special effects a really well crafted horror show, combining elements of Big Brother and a Zombie outbreak. And there you already get it, because that sounds ridiculous and funny. On the one hand the audience gets the dragging scenes and talks from the Big Brother inmates and on the other hand the horror from running, killing and flesh eating zombies. In addition to that some scenes are incredibly over the top (Patrick shitting in the bucket, hacking Grayson, being eaten, etc) or stupid in wanting to be funny (the light machine, the policemen, Marky shooting at Riq, etc).
That's where I wanted to get in. This show had so much potential for a cool fanedit movie that I just could not let it pass and I think the outcome is among the best zombie movies of the entire genre.

Hardware and software information:
Hardware:
Windows XP computer
with an X2 6000 dual core cpu
and 4 GB of RAM on an ASUS board

Software:
Ulead Media Studio Pro 8.0
Vegas Video 7.0
Cinema Craft Encoder
Virtual Dub
Adobe Audition 1.5
Pro Show Producer
Jasc Paint Shop Pro
PhotoZoom Pro2
DVD Lab Pro 1.52
Cyberlink Power DVD
Irfan View
PGCDemux
AnyDVD
DVDfab decrypter
DGPulldown
Womble MPEG DVD Wizard

Working diary:
1. Ripped the DVD with AnyDVD, extracted the movie with pgcdemux, converted the ac-3 to wav with headac3he, multiplexed audio and video with tmpgxrpess, created beginning credits in pro show producer, created sound for beginning credits with adobe audition, edited the movie in womble including all sound and video transitions, created end credits in pro show producer, created sound for end credits with adobe audition, encoded. result: video errors, audio out of sync.
2. tried with Ulead Media Studio Pro using the multiplexed video files. Result: fancy colors wherever I wanted to make a cut.
3. converted the video files with virtualdub to Lagarith Lossless avi, worked from there with Ulead Media Studio Pro 8. Result: video errors (several heavily pixelated scenes).
4. Read the DVD back and found out that they used Ripguard for copy protection.
5. Ripped the DVD with DVD Fab Decrypter, still no perfect result, but the best one of them all. Converted the video with virtualdub to lagarith lossless avi, corrected the tiny sync problems with adobe audition, muxed audio and video with virtualdub. Edited the video with Ulead Media Studio Pro 8, encoded to Lagarith Lossless avi, converted with virtualdub frame server + CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder) including multiple color and resize filers to mpg, used dgpulldown to correct the framerate to 29.97, created audio with Ulead, used Sony Vegas to turn pcm audio to 5.1 audio. Result: good.
6. Authored the DVD.

Time needed for the edition:
editing: 7 days, extras: 2 days, DVD menus: 1 day, quality checking and further corrections: 1 day, cover art: 1 day

Additional comment:
On the tech level this fanedit gave me a hell ride. For the first in a long time I could not get a proper rip from the DVDs, thanks to Ripguard (yes, finally they really used it on an official DVD) copy protection and no ripper around to completely break it (DVD fab Decrypter gave the best result though). Womble gave me a lot of errors, every time I worked with it, Ulead gave me fancy colors wherever there was a cut, so I had to convert the movie to Lagarith lossless codec and resync the audio, to finally gain a version I could start editing with. Macrovision: you tried, but could not really stop me.

Additional additional comment:
There is already a fanedit of Dead Set out there by dluppers, but it is an entirely different take.

persons involved:
myself

thank you:
Winnie, ThrowgnCpr, Mollo, Ghostcut and the fabulous FE community

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This was only ever shown in the UK, on E4. It was written by Charlie Brooker of Screenwipe fame.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
omg omg omg omg, I am SOOOO excited about this one. downloading now. thanks boon!!!

searcher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You did it again Boon!! turned a average zombie tv series into a very good zombie movie.
My wife spent most of it hiding behind a magazine so it must have scared her.
Great work Boon on number 31.

jeff

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just finished watching this. It ranks up there with all of the recent zombie flicks. Excellent work! :D

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thank you guys, I am very happy you enjoyed it.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really enjoyed the original TV mini series, and was excited when boon23 created a movie version without some of the extraneous reality show goofy bits. This really felt like a movie, and I didn't notice any strange leaps or missing material. kudos for making it seamless. This was truly a theatrical experience. I was so glad to be gone with the bucket-shitting, and Pippa's annoying (almost suicide inducing) screams "I dooontaaa liiiiiiike eeeeeetttt" Thank you so much for hacking almost all of these. STORYTELLING & EDITING 5 / 5

AUDIO 5 / 5 wonderful. sounded great, and I didnt notice any audio glitches or bad transitions.

VIDEO 5 / 5 again, good. a couple times I noticed some macroblocking in dark areas and in sky gradients, but this was absolutely minimal and overall well done.

DVD PRESENTATION 5 / 5 As usual, the faneditor went all out and we get transitions, motion menus, bonus features, and faneditor overviews. I love getting the full package, and I really appreciate the extra effort a faneditor puts in for this. As a side comment, the DVD presentation had an almost lighthearted feel. The Charlie Brooker intro and the menu fonts really lightened the mood, which was the exact opposite of the films tone. This may have been a conscious effort by the editor. Nothing wrong with it, just something curious I noted.

So to wrap it up, I give this fanedit a final score of 5 / 5. I am not a huge zombie buff (as I find most of the films to be utter crap), but there are a few that I really like. This is now another. Thanks boon ;)

2526765366_f6093930d9.jpg

..and now some side-notes on the series / film (unrelated to the editing). So, if you just came for the review, you may move along. move along now...

I find zombie movies funny at times (not funny like ha-ha, but... you get the point). I often find myself trying to rationalize or make sense of things that really shouldnt be (when I catch myself doing this I start to sing the words to MST3K)...

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
and other science facts (la la la),
Then repeat to yourself, "It's just a show,
I should really just relax

-If zombies have a tenacity to completely eat and rip apart people, how do they make more zombies? (assuming they have completely devoured the human)
-Why do zombies warble like a Ben Burtt created pod-racer?
-How much flesh can a zombie really eat? sometimes it seems like these guys must have a hollow leg or something. I know after about one thigh or large intestine, I would just be stuffed, but these guys seem to have the ability to eat 10 times their weight in human flesh

OK, OK, enough, you get the point :) really, though, back to Dead Set Serious... you should see this edit now!!!

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dead Set Serious by CBB

Having really enjoyed the original mini-series and then suffered the FanEdit version by Dluppers, I think I have become over-familiar with the material.

CBB's version works well and I only noticed a few things in the first reel that I would have changed.

I would have cut the shot of the assistant lover-boy walking outside in the dark and seeing a zombie woman eating a corpse. This would have made the transition from kissing scene to his appearance as a zombie more shocking and less predictable. Also I noticed the TV that is relaying 'real time' news and at one point shows shots of riots at night and then cuts to Big Brother fans arriving and it is still day. Other than those minor quibbles this FanEdit works well.

After the zombie take-over everything is seamless. I still have a preference for the original TV series, as it is a TV show about a TV show and this make more sense for a parody on the subject.

I have not see the official movie version, which was aired on More 4 after the first mini-series run but it would be interesting to compare the two.

Dead Set Serious is an assured FanEdit. The new credits are very well done.

The DVD is well presented but does not really set the tone for the horror that follows. Starting with an unrelated none too serious diatribe may not help. I also noticed that the audio for the deleted scene featurettes is out of sync.

Entertainment 4, Editing 4, Audio 3, DVD presentation 3

4/5

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thank you for the reviews, mollo and throw.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
xvid avi now on linktalk (RS) and piratebay (BT)

Taolar

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not a huge horror fan, but my wife is, so I grabbed this the other day and handed to her. She'd never heard of the TV show, so it was entirely new to her. She popped it in the player on my way to work and when she saw the Fan Edit screen, she groaned. She's not into the idea of fan edits. Her view is that the filmmakers know better than "just some random guy on the internet." We've discussed the fan edit concept lot, and I've gotten her to watch and enjoy a few, but in general she will not watch a fan edit without at least watching the original first, which I can understand. I explained that the TV show this was based on is not available to us in the US (that I know of), and that it has been distilled down to a feature length film, removing a lot of the goofier moments, in an attempt to make a real zombie movie. It's not just "some guy's" idea of how a movie should be changed, but is actually a whole new viewing experience. She bought that and gave it a try while I was at work.

She loved it! She had no criticism of it, and will be watching it again.

So from a zombie movie fan, who is not into fan edits, and had no knowledge of the source footage, this was a successful edit.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wow :)
that's about the best thing to happen. Thanks for sharing this, taolar, and I am really happy your wife enjoyed it.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mariusjr's review on fanedit.org said:
Great edit!
Thank God you cut the most of the annoying opening scenes in the Big Brothers house! And Kuddo's for every second you cut off from Pippa! And the stupid annoying egg scene!
But I must say, some deletions was really not neccesary. For example, talking about things what are gone (amazone, facebook etc). I thought that was funny.
But especially the waking up and the discovering the camera's is not working. I thought that was a intresting scene, Why delete this?

But I am glad with this, with this edit, there is one more good zombie flick, instead of a television serial.
On this moment, I am busy to make the Dutch subtitles, which I will distribute. Same I did with Mall Hours cut.

Seen the deleted scenes. And I have one bit of critique:
why deleted some gore?
Cut the body in pieces and Patrick tear apart.. I think that is the best part! Why cut this off?

Thanks for your comments, mariusjr.
The edit was about turning Dead Set Serious into a movie including the deletion of what I felt was too over the top.
Patrick's gore scene at the end, which cleartly is a salute to "Day of The Dead" is a prime example for that. To me this is when horror turns to comedy by simply being too much. I removed this particular scene because I think it is way more effective to see Patrick die without yelling for minutes while being ripped apart, including his talk about how his shit must taste, when the zombies eat his bowels.
I hope you upload the DVD with dutch subtitles or send them to an admin on fanedit.org, so people can add them themselves.
The waking up of the Big Brother guys was not possible to show in my edit as it focuses in the beginning on Kelly and her surroundings. Persons are getting introduced through scenes with her. The inmates are shown, when Kelly meets them, which is after they woke up.
I hope this explains a bit why the editing choices were made like this. Thanks again for your comments. :)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
this is now available on multiupload, which is an awesome new service I am trying out.
Multiupload has a great, quick and easy upload tool and it will spread teh files to 6 file hosters:
Rapidshare, Megaupload, Hotfile, Depositfiles, Zshare and Uploading
Premium is not required.
Download with jdownloader works great, you can with just one click split the hosts and have the links for RS, MU, whatever neatly paired up.

I think this is super comfortable.

all links are inter changeable
should be on fanedit.info soon.

or pm me for links.

jasonstorm

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dead Set Serious is simply amazing. When I first saw Dead Set I liked it except for all of the reality show junk in it. I thought that if one could just eliminate as much of that as possible that there would be a good movie left behind. This fanedit surpassed all of my hopes. Out of the 70 or so fanedits I've seen so far, this was is truly the most successful example of turning a lump of coal into a diamond. This ranks right up there with my favorite movie of all time--2004 Dawn of the Dead. Well done!

Top Bottom