• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Dead heat composite ported onto official bluray release

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi guys.
Just verified today that my composite edit for the film Dead Heat

"Dead heat: the Norwegian composite"
http://www.fanedit.org/ifdb/compone...edition/806-dead-heat-the-norwegian-composite

was in fact included as an extra on the seemingly official Region B bluray release for the film out of Germany. In fact the specs still show it as mpeg with ac3 sound which sounds more like they just dumped the dvd on it without converting it to another format. All quiet fades and little frame cuts here and there that I personally made are all present

Either way cool as hell to see this, ditto since the director of the film (a ways back) was happy about the composite also

this might also mark the first time an edit work from here ended up on some sort of studio release

Amazon Germany link for the region B disc it appears on:
http://www.amazon.de/Dead-Heat-Blu-...UTF8&qid=1396323965&sr=8-1&keywords=dead+heat

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That is pretty cool they put it as a bonus feature. :)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
are you sure that this is official? There are bootlegs of all kinds coming that get "official" listings on sites like Amazon. This seems pretty suspect. (I'm not trying to steal your thunder, I'm just saying...)

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would think that a legitimate Studio Blu-ray company would have at least contacted you to let you know they were seizing your work. There are indeed a lot of bootleg European releases on Amazon. Either way, it's cool that it made it onto a disk.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree. Its something to definitely be proud of, getting your work out to the masses (or whoever buys the blu ray and finds your golden nugget tucked away on the disc).

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's part cool, and not so cool if it's a bootleg and people are making money with fanedits. It's against our rules and could cause us trouble.
The thing that makes it okay is that the director apparently saw and liked the cut. (so maybe it's a legit release after all)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know why we'd be in trouble, we aren't selling it.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I don't know why we'd be in trouble, we aren't selling it.

If it were a confirmed boot and we were supporting sales, then it could look bad. I agree, we wouldn't directly be in any trouble, but we need to always ensure that FE is viewed positively by the studios.

While very cool if it's legit, and awesome that the director liked the cut, we need to make sure we are clear about not supporting piracy and counterfeits.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did mention in my first post "seemingly official". To be honest this does appear like a legit (and nicely done) release. Distro'ed by
Paragon Movies
http://www.imdb.com/company/co0458126/

however I am aware of German boots, but I am also aware of the more lax European releases that sometimes do includes extras and goodies they might not necessarily by cleared to release but it is a rather gray area (the old CMV Just before dawn disc comes to mind since it was the shriek show print they used-- but they fixed a spot that SS screwed up, which was a fix CMV did themselves from another source-- all nice and quiet like)

In this case my composite was passed around in the torrent world and that is how the director got it. It stands to chance then that because it is a fan made edition, really any company could release that edition if they had the rights to do it and "you" as the creator cannot say one word about it cause you have no right to.

So if this is a legit release, they probably took the liberty to add on this goodie since no one is really going to complain about it.

It does have a UPC number though not sure if that would account for anything and seems to be the only bluray edition released (2013) for it over there

in the end-- still cool as fuck that it made a pressed bluray release

for those concerned- I don't see this as being "site supported" but rather just passing along some very interesting information. It is not like I am telling you to buy the disc, but I am listing it as reference and until proven otherwise I am to assume this is a full legitimate release since that is what it appears to be

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
HMM... the plot thickens-- something I did not try last night-- switch my bluplayer back to region A and play the disc-- still loaded up fine despite the region B info on the package

still can't say it points to "shady release" yet-- the older Second Site bluray for Return of the living dead, which is region B locked offered a "skip" menu to bypass that (later pressings "fixed" that made on purpose loophole)

see if I can dig up anything else --

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did you include a credit for yourself on screen? So people watching this 'bonus' version will know who did it?

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Did you include a credit for yourself on screen? So people watching this 'bonus' version will know who did it?

no, this was not done for this particualr edit

Lots of talk with views on both sides of the fence (via on CG) about it being fucked up that they did not give credit and others on the issue of someone charging people to see fan made for non profit work

but since it was a bonus item they are still charging for the main film, and all the other extras they offered with it, not just because of my edit

it also turns out it is a legitimate made disc and that the distro of was licensed by Lakeshore entertainment.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think it's messed up that they didn't credit you but totally cool that they included it. All the content included in your edit is on the disc you purchase anyway (Isn't it?), it's just also included in your different configuration.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I think it's messed up that they didn't credit you but totally cool that they included it. All the content included in your edit is on the disc you purchase anyway (Isn't it?), it's just also included in your different configuration.

--almost-- I am sure they did not clear the rights for the Norwegian VHS used that provided the extra footage

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All in all I think this is pretty cool and I don't see this as being bad for the site, even if it hadn't been legit. We have no control what others do with the work created by site members. If Tranzor had personally been given a fat check by illicit distributors, then we'd have had a problem, but since this apparently is a legit release it's all academic anyhow.

As far as it being 'uncool' that they didn't reach out to Tranz, well, he didn't exactly get permission to do the edit now did he? As faneditors that's part of the deal we make. We use other's work to create something new/different etc.. but if the original owner of the work comes in and says, hrm.. I like how you re-arranged my work, I think I'll include it as part of my next special edition.. well, so be it. None of us got in this for the money, and I'd be damn happy if any of my edits were A) Recognized and complimented by their directors, B) Included as bonus material on any formal/official release. Anything after that would be bonus time.

So.. AWESOME SAUCE Tranzor. Just one more step where fanediting is becoming more accepted.

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
As far as it being 'uncool' that they didn't reach out to Tranz, well, he didn't exactly get permission to do the edit now did he? As faneditors that's part of the deal we make. We use other's work to create something new/different etc.. but if the original owner of the work comes in and says, hrm.. I like how you re-arranged my work, I think I'll include it as part of my next special edition.. well, so be it.

the deal goes both ways.

In the US, derivative works are protected by many of the same copyright laws as the original. The original author has no more right to sell the derivative work as the derivative artist has to sell the original.

European laws may be different, i don't know.

I fully acknowledge that the inclusion is super cool. However, its possible (likely) tranzor would have reasonable standing in court if he were upset that his work is being sold.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
All in all I think this is pretty cool and I don't see this as being bad for the site, even if it hadn't been legit. We have no control what others do with the work created by site members. If Tranzor had personally been given a fat check by illicit distributors, then we'd have had a problem, but since this apparently is a legit release it's all academic anyhow.

As far as it being 'uncool' that they didn't reach out to Tranz, well, he didn't exactly get permission to do the edit now did he? As faneditors that's part of the deal we make. We use other's work to create something new/different etc.. but if the original owner of the work comes in and says, hrm.. I like how you re-arranged my work, I think I'll include it as part of my next special edition.. well, so be it. None of us got in this for the money, and I'd be damn happy if any of my edits were A) Recognized and complimented by their directors, B) Included as bonus material on any formal/official release. Anything after that would be bonus time.

So.. AWESOME SAUCE Tranzor. Just one more step where fanediting is becoming more accepted.

I think you summed it up quite nicely and thank you

Top Bottom