• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

DaVinci Resolve free edition.

It was. Now I'm using older version, cause 5.0 stopped working on my computer.
But that's mostly for some minor additional fixes. Vegas has been my main editing tool since 2015.

So far I've loved using Resolve 17. It works incredibly well and I definitely recommend it. The nodes setup for the "after effects" portion of it is is a work in progress for me tho

I've been using Fairlight for my audiobooks and it's definitely done the trick. Especially the reverb tool has been extremely useful

I wanted to have handy links for each thing I mention below, but because I am new here it won't allow me to add links, so.....

I highly recommend Black Magic's DaVinci Resolve, and here's why:
  • The FREE version is amazing and will do most of what many people will ever need to do.
  • The full "Studio" version is only $300 with lifetime updates, if you even need it!
  • The training books as well as other training resources (such as learn-a-long videos with course material are available for FREE download from their website! You can still go to Amazon and buy the printed books for $80 if you wish, but the PDF version downloads and lessons are completely free!
  • As with most other editors, tons of instructional videos are on YouTube for free as well.
  • The color correction functionality is still the go-to for many editors and colorists, even if they use other software for the editing portion of their projects.
  • It features a complete Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) in the form of the built-in Fairlight audio page. Here, you can take advantage of a whole suite of effects, multitrack mixing, recording, and automation tools.
  • It features a complete and very powerful integrated video effects and motion graphics platform named "Fusion" as well.
If you try it and love it and want to buy the "Studio" version, at least at the time of this writing, you can buy from online retailers such as Amazon and Adorama and get either a really well made $300 "Black Magic Design DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor" or a $600 "Black Magic Design DaVinci Resolve Keyboard" and get a free registration code for the full version of DaVinci Resolve Studio along with them! So you'd be getting a great deal if you're in it for the long haul.

As for editing video, I am an avid AVID (sorry, I had to) user. It's what we use where I work, and because I know it so well, I love it. There is a free version of AVID available called Avid Media Composer First, but it was limited in some ways that I needed it not to be. I can't remember what those things were now, but that is why I don't use it at home.

I have been playing around with DaVinci Resolve for a few years now. I think I started with version 13. I think version 14 or 15 is when they drastically started making the editing functionality much better. Now, with version 18, their editing functionality is pretty dang good.

And lastly, they are constantly updating it, either with fixes or added functionality, or more likely both. From what I've seen for the last few years, every couple of months or less they have a new version available.

All the above, along with the powerful embedded color correction, effects engine, and audio platform, it has been used to make many major motion pictures, so to me it's a no-brainer...

Last edited:
I wanted to have handy links for each thing I mention below, but because I am new here it won't allow me to add links, so.....

I highly recommend Black Magic's DaVinci Resolve, and here's why:
  • The FREE version is amazing and will do most of what many people will ever need to do.
  • The full "Studio" version is only $300 with lifetime updates, if you even need it!
  • The training books as well as other training resources (such as learn-a-long videos with course material are available for FREE download from their website! You can still go to Amazon and buy the printed books for $80 if you wish, but the PDF version downloads and lessons are completely free!
  • As with most other editors, tons of instructional videos are on YouTube for free as well.
  • The color correction functionality is still the go-to for many editors and colorists, even if they use other software for the editing portion of their projects.
  • It features a complete Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) in the form of the built-in Fairlight audio page. Here, you can take advantage of a whole suite of effects, multitrack mixing, recording, and automation tools.
  • It features a complete and very powerful integrated video effects and motion graphics platform named "Fusion" as well.
If you try it and love it and want to buy the "Studio" version, at least at the time of this writing, you can buy from online retailers such as Amazon and Adorama and get either a really well made $300 "Black Magic Design DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor" or a $600 "Black Magic Design DaVinci Resolve Keyboard" and get a free registration code for the full version of DaVinci Resolve Studio along with them! So you'd be getting a great deal if you're in it for the long haul.

As for editing video, I am an avid AVID (sorry, I had to) user. It's what we use where I work, and because I know it so well, I love it. There is a free version of AVID available called Avid Media Composer First, but it was limited in some ways that I needed it not to be. I can't remember what those things were now, but that is why I don't use it at home.

I have been playing around with DaVinci Resolve for a few years now. I think I started with version 13. I think version 14 or 15 is when they drastically started making the editing functionality much better. Now, with version 18, their editing functionality is pretty dang good.

And lastly, they are constantly updating it, either with fixes or added functionality, or more likely both. From what I've seen for the last few years, every couple of months or less they have a new version available.

All the above, along with the powerful embedded color correction, effects engine, and audio platform, it has been used to make many major motion pictures, so to me it's a no-brainer...
Is it okay for me to also post this as a stand-alone post, instead of as a response here where it's buried at the bottom of a second page of replies?

Is it okay for me to also post this as a stand-alone post, instead of as a response here where it's buried at the bottom of a second page of replies?
#staff
It depends. If it is a post about DaVinci, this is where it belongs. If it is a thread about your personal editing process that is not a one and done thread, then it could be elsewhere.

I tried installing the latest version of DaVinci Resolve, but it wouldn't run, giving me a message about my graphics drivers being outdated (as far as I can tell, it's up to date, but I have an older graphics card, and an integrated one at that). I tried installing Resolve 17.4.2.8, which likewise gave me a warning about outdated graphics drivers, but did run in a mode that disabled using the GPU. Unfortunately, trying to actually use it to edit video always causes it to instantly crash.

Does anyone know what the latest version of Resolve is that is likely to be able to run smoothly and without problems on my hardware? Here are my specs:

Operating system: Windows 10 64bit
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 (quad core)
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600
RAM: 32 GB of DDR3

You might have to answer this yourself by trying to install 16 and lower. You would lose some critical features going back to 16. So I’m not sure this is worth it.

Every version of 17 and 18 definitely are not compatible with the older card.

EDIT: If you take the year of your card and add 4 years you’d be in Resolve version 14.

Last edited:
The main ones for me would be losing the new color transform tool that lets you very easily change colors without as much artifacts and being able to automatically detect scene changes and auto cut clips directly in the timeline. Each version comes out with a lot of new features. I'm on 17 and haven't upgraded to 18 because users seem to complain it's a lot more buggy than usual.

Well, something peculiar has happened. I opened up Resolve (still version 17.4.2.8) and was able to do a little light test editing with it (using the same video file that it had crashed while trying to edit before). Maybe it crashed before because I was running too many other programs at the time or something. I don't know yet whether or not it would work with a bigger project or higher-bitrate files, but for some reason, it seems to be working now.

It was. Now I'm using older version, cause 5.0 stopped working on my computer.
But that's mostly for some minor additional fixes. Vegas has been my main editing tool since 2015.
Based womble user. I also had an issue with 5.0. I like 4.0's icon logo better too.

If you already have a licence for Resolve or are happy with just the free version - and are in the UK - this might be worth a look:

Speed Editor

People mostly say good things about it on YouTube. I think it looks cool so I bought one. Might even learn to use it. :p

I have started to play with version 18 of Resolve and it is actually pretty nice. It's more user friendly than previous versions or at least than I remember from when I was first starting out.

Back
Top Bottom