• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Davinci Resolve 4K HDR Guide - Using Dolby Vision Analysis

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Davinci Resolve 4K HDR Guide - Using Dolby Vision Analysis

Below is a helpful guide 44rh1n posted on OT to process 4K HDR edits in Resolve to work in SDR.

Notes:
Although it usually is possible to import an HEVC wrapped mp4 into Resolve, as a best practice the 4K HDR rip should first be converted to ProRes mov or similar encode/filetype using a program such as Hybrid to avoid most possible issues with importing HEVC into Resolve.

Also note depending on which version of Resolve you use, you may need to apply step #4 below (detecting scene cuts) to a video file in the pool PRIOR to importing it into the Resolve timeline.

Finally keep in mind, Dolby Vision only works well with either timeline cuts or clips separated scene by scene. Scene by scene can even mean switching camera angles during a conversation.

44rh1n's Guide:

If you have Resolve Studio (the PAID version of Resolve), then I would recommend trying out the automatic Dolby Vision trim analysis. This will do an automatic per-shot conversion from HDR to SDR. So rather than a single one-size-fits-all approach, it will treat each shot individually.

1). Bring the film into the Media Pool (you’ll get much faster performance if you convert to ProRes first, as illustrated in the tutorial at the beginning of this thread. But if you have a fast computer then the original HEVC should work).

2). Go to your Project Settings and change the Color Management timeline color space to Rec.2100 ST.2084. Then check the “Enable Dolby Vision” checkbox.

**Important: Ensure “Mastering Display” is set to “1000-nit, BT.2020, D65, ST.2084, Full.” That is the correct option for most 4K Blu-rays. However, for some 4K Blu-rays that are mastered at 4000-nits, you’ll want to select the “4000-nit, BT.2020” option. ALSO: make sure the resolution and framerate are correct in the the Master Settings.

3). Add the film to a new timeline (make sure the timeline has the same framerate and resolution as your movie). The image should look flat and ugly on an SDR GUI display.

4). On the Edit page, select the movie in the timeline and then go to menu item “Timeline > Detect Scene Cuts.” This will take a while, but it will analyze the movie and make physical cuts to every cut in the film. Once it’s done, scrub through to make sure it didn’t add cuts where it shouldn’t have.

5). Navigate to the Color page and click on the Dolby Vision button on the bottom left region of the screen (the button won’t be there unless you enable Dolby Vision, as mentioned in step 2).

6). Ensure the Target Display Output is set to “100-nit, BT.709, BT.1886, Full.”

7). Click Analyze All. (And leave Enable Tone Mapping Preview selected). Once it’s done, you’ll notice that the image no longer looks flat and ugly because you’re now seeing the SDR version created by the Dolby Vision analysis.

**Important: If the movie is wider than 16x9 (includes black bars), then the black will need to be excluded from the output, otherwise the black in every scene will skew the analysis. This can be done by selecting Timeline > Output Blanking. There are some great presets for different aspect ratios. If none of those presets are correct for your film, you can create custom Output Blanking by navigating to the “Sizing” button in the middle-right of the GUI, changing the dropdown menu to “Output Sizing,” and then you can adjust the “Blanking” sliders. Or you can physically crop the top and bottom of the video by changing the timeline resolution and image scaling settings in the Project Settings.

8). Lastly, go to the delivery page and set whatever export settings you desire (again, I always recommend ProRes, but the settings you would pick depend on your needs). ***Then go to Advanced Settings, and change the Tone Mapping to Dolby Vision. Ensure the selected option under Dolby Vision is “100-nit, BT.709, BT.1886, Full.” Once you’ve got all your export settings enabled and you’ve selected the Dolby Vision tonemapping, you can add the export to your Render Queue and export it out.

Now you’ll have a beautiful SDR version of the film derived from brand new Dolby Vision metadata that you created yourself.

Last edited:
I think you should add using the color space transform tool to change the output color space to P3-D65. The colors on Rec.709 are way too saturated and I saw someone recommend this elsewhere.

Last edited:
Also, maybe changing the output gamma to sRGB? Seems to work for me for evening out the black levels, but I don't know why. Could it be it's reconfiguring it to the proper color space? I don't know how this stuff works lol

Also, I was wrong, changing the color space to Rec.709 or sRGB after changing the output gamma solved the issue with the color

Last edited:
Is this why screens I see of 4K material tend to look grey and washed out? The information youre adding here is missing?

How would this guide relate to HDR10 content? Also, if the video is in VAR (variable aspect ratio) and cropping is not an option, what would work best for this process? My intention is to transform the remastered BvS 4K UHD HDR to 4K SDR. Would this process always give you as final result what the SDR Blu-ray version looks like? (when it exists)

Back
Top Bottom